corytate
corytate UltraDork
4/14/19 6:23 p.m.

So it’s time to sell my bad luck e36. I have loved it, but it has been a PITA for me to keep up with in my current circumstances, so I have replaced it with a possibly worse ride, my dads hand me down 01 Blazer that I have a bizarre emotional attachment to. 

I wanted to rallycross it but I’m saving for  wedding and it makes more sense to sell it sadly 

I would love to see it make it to the challenge or be in racing, I feel like it’s time for a strip and repurposing but I can’t  do it currently 

It’s been a reliable daily, but has issues that come with the 287k miles on it. 

Body: 

its been involved in some small bumps apparently in the past as it’s got some dents. 

The back glass seals suck, and it needs to be fully removed and cleaned up. It causes a rattle while driving over any sort of bumps. 

2 owners ago rekeyed all the locks differently to spite me so it comes with a whole bunch of keys that open various things.

Some of the door handles don’t work from either inside or outside, but none of them have failed at both. 

it needs the bad purplish tint pulled off all around save for the driver’s side.

I’ll address any issues accordingly if they’re an issue. 

Driveline:

it shifts fine, semi recent clutch (2017ish?) 

has a slight judder that is easy to get used to, PO cut corners and didn’t get the flywheel machined  when he did the clutch 

it was parked for a year til the beginning of 2019 when I drove it home.

it has a few vac leaks, seem to be around the ccv system so it has a little rough idle.

its got some typical small leaks underneath

I’m sure it could use more maintenance 

Steering/Suspension/Brakes

id recommend rear springs and shocks, it sags a bit

I’d say pads and rotors all around as a preventive measure and to get rid of warped rotors

new tie rods inner and outer

slight power steering fluid leak

2017 ish bilsteins up front

could use fresh tires but they aren’t dangerous yet  

it’s got E90 16” wheels on it currently

Interior:

the DS is ripped and so is the center console 

doorcards surprisingly holding together well still  

radio missing, wiring was botched previously and I never got around to digging into it

no heat (PO said aux water pump)

Comes with:

spare LF LCA

Spare center console lid

spare glovebox covering  

it’s not a bad car overall and I don’t really want to sell it but I must  

Also if someone needs enough parts to make it worth parting out I’m open to the possibility

drivetrain donor? 

corytate
corytate UltraDork
4/14/19 7:23 p.m.

Also open to partial trades, especially motorcycles. 

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
4/15/19 8:05 a.m.

How does the underside of the car look, especially at the jack points? Lots of little E36 nickle and dime issues, but if the chassis is solid, I may be interested.

corytate
corytate UltraDork
4/15/19 11:01 a.m.

In reply to MINIzguy :

it’s overall pretty clean 

corytate
corytate UltraDork
4/15/19 11:01 a.m.

It’s overall pretty cleannunderneath, been a VA car it’s entire life afaik 

no rust through spots anywhere 

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
4/15/19 12:40 p.m.

And what's the mileage on the chassis and motor? Care to post the VIN so I can check out the options it has?

corytate
corytate UltraDork
4/15/19 6:10 p.m.

In reply to MINIzguy :

It’s at 287k all original as far as I’ve been told. 

I’ll snag the vin tomorrow morning it’s at the shop

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
4/16/19 7:44 a.m.

In reply to corytate :

Thanks. This doesn't look too beat up that I could fix up as a beater and use as a HPDE car.

corytate
corytate UltraDork
4/16/19 4:16 p.m.

Theres the vin. And I fully agree! That was my hope with this car, rallycross for now and eventual autocross and hillclimb, but SWMBO literally hates this car for some reason

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
4/16/19 8:54 p.m.

I emailed you. Let me know if you got it

corytate
corytate UltraDork
4/17/19 11:33 a.m.

In reply to MINIzguy :

Agh I didn’t get it

I’m pretty positive it’s still linked to this account but just in case I’m at cory.tate@gmail.com

corytate
corytate UltraDork
4/17/19 12:17 p.m.

I’ve gotten some interest in trading for an e30 that is hard to say no to, but I could definitely use money more than an e30 if you’re serious about the car. Can take pics or videos of whatever you’d need to see, it’s parked at my shop currently so lift access is easy

corytate
corytate UltraDork
4/20/19 6:44 p.m.

Gone! Traded titles for my first e30 today, it’s an 87 325e, I’ll more than likely do the whatever remaining rallycross events I can make it to this season in stock trim, and then plot and execute a revamped and swapped hot e30 for mod rear next season to be competitive because I’m sure an e car isn’t going to be able to keep up with the other dc region mod rear drivers. 

Honestly when faced with the proposition to trade my crappy e36 for a crappy e30, it wasn’t even a decision. I’ve wanted an e30 for fifteen years and the new owner of my 328 had been searching for a Boston green manual e36 sedan for a couple years now so it all worked out swimmingly. 

Will get a full picture of what all needs to be done to this thing to daily and race it tomorrow and over the next week, and start a build thread accordingly. 

Tentative swap plans are sr20 because big power potential, relative thriftiness, and chu chu noises. 

Other candidates are just an i head swap and boost for even more thriftiness, or an m52 or 54 swap. 

Reeeeally into the sr e30 idea though and there is a very comprehensive swap guide on the interwebs already for me to draw from. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kWQMkg33ztzGrKFxxQ4uA7HXHWkHNQa6Ki1YMuMVcVZ9ECIbAI1ntuHugmaJIYc0