Torkel
Torkel Reader
8/24/19 12:39 p.m.

Porsche 986 Boxster-97, 5 speed manual

This is my daily driver and it has been awesome fun. She driver well, runs good, sounds absolutely glorious. AC works well, no CELs. 

- 180Kmiles (see price)

- One of the seams on driver seat has come partially apart (see price). A few smaller dents and some scratches. Peeling clearcoat on the soft top deck. (see price)

- The wheels are rattle canned black (see price)

- The solenoid that locks/unlocks the levers that opens the trunk and frunk now only locks them. If you lock the car, you need to pick the lever mechanism with a small screwdriver- a 2min job. I was planning on on simple cutting the wire to the solenoid, but have instead solved the issue by not locking my car for 2 years or so, justifying my laziness with “It’s a soft top and if someone wants to get in, they can anyway”. (see price)

Price: $4000. Located in Charlotte, NC. (see price)

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
8/24/19 10:31 p.m.

Is this thing up for a 1500 mile road trip?

Torkel
Torkel Reader
8/24/19 10:37 p.m.

In reply to icaneat50eggs :

I'd do it! Easily!

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
8/25/19 11:49 a.m.

How long have you had it?

what maintenance have you done?  Any maintenance records?

Torkel
Torkel Reader
8/25/19 12:55 p.m.

In reply to icaneat50eggs :

I've had it for about 2years. I bought it from a friend of a friend, who had stopped driving it. I put a new soft top on it (cheaper model, not Porsche brand, obviously), went thru the suspension (she needed rear suspension arms and 1 wheel bearing), cleaned it and polished it, swapped all 6 coils, fixed an air leak (oil filler tube - standard issue) and gave it a full service. I swapped on some used but good tires I had and sprayed the wheel black (because cheap boxster). Since then, I have only had to change the oil, replace the MAF when the old one failed and fix the horn bushings in the steering wheel (common Boxster issue). 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/25/19 12:56 p.m.

I thought Silver was a given....did these come in any other colors?

Seems like a good price for someone who wants to get into a P car for not too much money. Good luck with the sale.

Torkel
Torkel Reader
8/25/19 1:11 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Yes, the Boxsters are increadible value for money these days. And so much fun! Easily the most fun Daily Driver I've had. 

What never stops to amuse me is guys walking past it, nodding at you and saying "Man, I wish I could afford something like that!", on there way to some $30K GM SUV. If you only knew, people...

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/25/19 3:18 p.m.

Is this one of the ones that needs ims bearing replacement, and if so is there any record of that being done?  If not forgive my ignorance 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
8/25/19 3:22 p.m.
Patrick said:

Is this one of the ones that needs ims bearing replacement, and if so is there any record of that being done?  If not forgive my ignorance 

That was my question as well, though if it's made it 180k, something has got to be going right.

Torkel
Torkel Reader
8/25/19 4:13 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

If the engine in my Boxster was effected by the famous IMS-bearing issue, it would have gone disco inferno somewhere around 35Kmiles. At 180Kmiles, I’d say that the bearing in question has proven itself quite well.

So to answer your question properly: No, I don’t have any documentation regarding that. But you really shouldn’t worry about it; it would have gone BOOOM a long time ago if it was an issue.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
8/25/19 7:09 p.m.

A ‘97 would have the double row IMS which doesn’t have the failure rate that the 00-04 cars had.

yupididit
yupididit UberDork
8/25/19 10:02 p.m.

I want this. But can't right now 

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
8/26/19 8:56 p.m.

Glws. Will be picking my $4000 Boxster up tomorrow in the same area as yours.

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
8/26/19 9:03 p.m.

I love it. Wish I was in a position to buy. 

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
8/27/19 1:05 p.m.

I paid $3500 for my 98 Civic a year and a half ago.  I had no idea these existed at this price.  Of course my maintenance and insurance is likely less, but dang, that's tempting.....

procainestart
procainestart Dork
8/27/19 3:41 p.m.

This should make it into the magazine:

Torkel said:

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

If the engine in my Boxster was effected by the famous IMS-bearing issue, it would have gone disco inferno somewhere around 35Kmiles.

dps214
dps214 Reader
8/28/19 10:00 a.m.
Patrick said:

Buy it, drive it, change the oil regularly with good oil, don't worry about it. IF it does decide to blow up, walk away laughing because you got to drive a thing that's 80% of the "full porsche experience" for basically pocket change. Or part out the big stuff and get most of your money back. Or get a $1k junkyard engine, toss a new bearing in it, and have a car that will run forever for under $6k total investment. There's basically no losing situation even if the thing does blow up.

Torkel
Torkel Reader
8/28/19 8:23 p.m.

In reply to dps214 :

As earlier stated (Thank you Red_Staple): This year Boxster does not have the fragile version of the IMS bearing. 

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
8/29/19 9:48 a.m.
dps214 said:
Patrick said:

Buy it, drive it, change the oil regularly with good oil, don't worry about it. IF it does decide to blow up, walk away laughing because you got to drive a thing that's 80% of the "full porsche experience" for basically pocket change. Or part out the big stuff and get most of your money back. Or get a $1k junkyard engine, toss a new bearing in it, and have a car that will run forever for under $6k total investment. There's basically no losing situation even if the thing does blow up.

Do you have some leads on $1k junkyard engines?

dps214
dps214 Reader
8/29/19 10:50 a.m.

Looks like I might have exaggerated slightly but from a quick search of ebay and car-part.com there's a handful of $1500 ones and a couple in the $1200-1500 range. I bet more than a minute of searching could find a better deal though.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
8/29/19 10:56 a.m.

Yeah, I guess I'm seeing a handful around 1500, but most seem to be 2000-3000. Then again, I suppose I'm also searching for 2.7s for my car, not 2.5s. Fair enough :)

Torkel
Torkel Reader
8/30/19 8:12 a.m.

Sold to a colleague.

Kind of surprised the GRM hive didn't jump on this one!

Pepe
Pepe New Reader
8/30/19 10:16 a.m.

I would have, but for the location.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
9/3/19 6:22 p.m.

Yup, timing and location. Hope it lives on in glorious fashion!

yupididit
yupididit UberDork
9/3/19 8:46 p.m.
Torkel said:

Sold to a colleague.

Kind of surprised the GRM hive didn't jump on this one!

Believe me I would've if I could. But, priorities. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rQ30x87gDuAWiYgfAKgosMtlFw725ZKSHXMmqqQSrFttNrloy60zuezdJ9w9svyy