Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
9/15/20 8:58 a.m.

Someone in a private Facebook group I follow posted a hyrdolocked BRZ/FRS for sale or trade for a pretty low price ($5k).  Apparently the owner got air in the intake.  The car runs STX in the tampa area.  I toyed the idea of trading my E30 (the most recent repair saga has me wanting to set it on fire).  My preliminary search for replacement engine cost will be a pretty big stretch on my budget, so I don't think I'll go for it.   I'm aware of the valve spring issues w/the early cars...so buying replacement engines may not be that simple.

I don't know the owner, but I can send him messages.  Send me a private message if you want more info.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
9/15/20 9:04 a.m.

In reply to Hoondavan :

Any idea what parts are included in said "fully STX prepped" car?  That's on OK price but not necessarily one that makes me want to drive all the way down to pick it up unless the aftermarket parts make it worth doing.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
9/15/20 9:14 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/

I'll see if I can get a mod list.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
9/15/20 9:20 a.m.

That was quick...owner says a sale is pending.

AP Racing BBK

Ohlin coiliovers

Perrin I/H/E

HRI tune

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/15/20 9:45 a.m.

In reply to Hoondavan :

I expected it to be a fast sale at that price. 

Though it sounds like the new buyer should be extremely suspicious of that HRI "tune". 

AaronT
AaronT New Reader
9/16/20 6:51 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Hoondavan :

I expected it to be a fast sale at that price. 

Though it sounds like the new buyer should be extremely suspicious of that HRI "tune". 

Yeah, that tune on a blown motor, boy howdy! You do not want that stage.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle SuperDork
9/16/20 7:17 p.m.

Do you think air in the intake killed it? laugh

ojannen
ojannen Reader
9/16/20 7:53 p.m.

This was a 100% prep, spare no expense STX build from 4-5 years ago.  It trophied at nationals before the owner decided to move on.  Since then, it has bounced around the local autocross scene.  I am not sure why the current owner priced it for such a quick sale.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
9/16/20 8:01 p.m.

It has a salvage (not rebuilt) title according to a friend of mine that was looking at it. That explains the low price. 

RedGT
RedGT Dork
9/17/20 10:02 a.m.

Salvage title, and I bet he bought it back from insurance for $1k and was happy to move it in a hurry without dealing with a partout.

tdrrally
tdrrally HalfDork
9/17/20 10:11 a.m.

wish i had the cash

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
9/17/20 10:50 a.m.
ojannen said:

This was a 100% prep, spare no expense STX build from 4-5 years ago.  It trophied at nationals before the owner decided to move on.  Since then, it has bounced around the local autocross scene.  I am not sure why the current owner priced it for such a quick sale.

Wow good info. Supposedly a bad motor is the reason for the cheap price.  Looking at the part list, it does seem to have fairly expensive upgrades.  

Ohlins for this car (if they're the same set) are $2k, the Perrin catback is over $1k,  the headers are over $1k, the big brake kit sells for $2k

The owner said the car is supposed to be picked up on Friday.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/17/20 11:00 a.m.

Mmmmh...RPF01s.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/17/20 11:06 a.m.
RedGT said:

Salvage title, and I bet he bought it back from insurance for $1k and was happy to move it in a hurry without dealing with a partout.

I did that back in the 90's but I don't think you can buy cars back from insurance currently in Florida. Maybe it came from a different state? Or sold at auction after the insurance co. fixed it. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
va1wLgKtCYvgQB6i4dpoj2FmqZiVaaTQAU1uv05LdQb72xYqKlG4PLoOe0R7tBEB