jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
5/24/22 9:50 a.m.

I will be in Boston with my family from appx mid-June until the end of July.  Looking for a minivan ideally or something that can hold 6.  Would love to rent something if anyone is interested or possibly be involved in the purchase and selling of a vehicle. 

just trying to avoid the insane cost of renting a van for 6 weeks!

APEowner
APEowner SuperDork
5/24/22 10:37 a.m.

Boston is, in my ever so humble opinion, the worst place to drive in the country.  On the other hand it has pretty good public transportation.  When I go there I don't drive unless I have to.  You might consider just renting for day trips when needed.

Even with the new baby my kid brother, who lives there seldom drives.

golfduke
golfduke Dork
5/24/22 10:46 a.m.

If you can find So. NH or North of the city, I'm happy to check anything out for you... Unfortunately, I am vanless and can't help.   I'm about 40mins outside city center North though, if you're ever bored and want to meet up for a spell! 

And RE: Above-  Boston traffic is as bad as most major metro cities, but our roads make no sense, so it tends to exacerbate things.  There's no easy way to get anywhere really.  You just sort of have to deal with it...  Our drivers are aggressive, but ironically we have one of the lowest accident rates of any major US city.  Strange, but sort of makes sense?

Pro-Tip:  Never EVER travel on highways on Friday afternoon.  From 2-7pm, North, South and West, the city has a mass exodus of people fleeing the city for fresh air and nature, and is impossible to get anywhere without several hours of patience.  

What brings you to Boston?  

nlevine (Forum Supporter)
nlevine (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/24/22 11:26 p.m.

I wouldn't call us aggressive, I would say that we "drive with purpose" here in Boston (unlike other parts of the country I've driven in where people don't even seem to be trying to get anywhere).

Check out https://www.amazon.com/Boston-Drivers-Handbook-Streets-Almost/dp/0306813262 for additional advice.

Let me check around to see if anybody I know is looking to offload a van locally.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/25/22 7:25 a.m.

My son lived there 2 years and there was a term he taught me about the drivers.  

Mass-holes

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
5/25/22 9:14 a.m.

this is another work trip for a show that's shooting there. 

I have been there a few times, for a few months each, and I have mixed feelings.  There are cool things to do and a great place to explore. 
but the traffic is rough and the driving habits of many are challenging!

The thought on public transpo is a great one.  I hadn't thought of that.    

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
5/25/22 11:27 a.m.

Wanna borrow a semi famous Delica? I mean semi-famous in that a certain special bus driver recently drove it for a weekend.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
5/25/22 1:16 p.m.

Wow that could be great but I would insist on renting and not just borrowing. 

can you shoot me an email??   Username at yarhoo

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UberDork
5/27/22 9:06 p.m.

I have nothing to offer other than come visit Vermont while you're in the NE. Burlington is only fours hours out on an actually scenic interstate drive (once past the Concord region of NH)

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
5/28/22 9:25 a.m.

I think we have actually planned that one! Glad to hear the drive should be good, too. 

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
5/29/22 1:49 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

11GTCS wonders if jfryjfry was involved with a planned closing of a major bridge into Boston last weekend? laugh

I can’t help on the van front unfortunately and used pricing around here is insane.  

Edited to add: I don’t think the drivers up here are any better or worse than others parts of the country I’ve driven in however were a bit less spread out in places and older infrastructure that can make things challenging.   I found drivers in the DFW area every bit as unpredictable and aggressive as greater Boston but then I know my way around up here. 

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UberDork
5/30/22 10:49 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

If you need any pet supplies my wife owns Houndstooth in downtown BTV. Stop in and say hi. I work weekends when not teaching. Regardless, check out Stowe on the way up. And route 100 to 17 west! Mini dragon we call the Ap gap.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
5/31/22 10:33 p.m.

No pets but will add Stowe and 100 to our list!

sounds like public transportation isn't bad and I'm going to end up with a van for work that hopefully I can use a bit for some family drives as well.  

between that and maybe borrowing a Delica (woo hoo!) i think (hope) we are set!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
69oCUy4gWNHbozEXQKtgTw7peg7c2jooEFBmswJ5LfcGb0R1xT4cdUqDif5G5c7E