1 2 3
Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
10/5/20 10:09 p.m.
Apexcarver said:

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Fun fact: initially the headlights were supposed to pop up (think porsche 928) but they went away from that to reduce cost. So it would have had that cleaner look had it gotten them.

Bugeye bonnets are pricey. Go fiberglass if you can. Most metal ones are over $1k if salvageable.

If you need pics off a Bugeye to make sense of anything let me know, I have one and a lift I can put it on for pics. I also might have a few spare parts I could part with.

I've always loved the bugeyes but this thread really has me thinking about a Midget with a 289.  Think it might solve some of the packaging problems I see plus way easier to find.  

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
10/5/20 11:14 p.m.

Later spridgets are half the price of a Bugeye, literally, so theres a lot to be said for that.

I kind of wanted to put a bike motor in one. Was looking at a baby grand rear axle (quickchange), but it's still too wide. The axle is the biggest problem, although front suspension and brakes become a thing for v8's.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/6/20 5:40 a.m.

Really nice one being built on the MG experience V8 board

https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mg-engine-swaps-forum.40/mg-midget-v8-swap.4058519/page-8

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/6/20 7:36 a.m.

Apparently stuffing V8's into Midgets has been a thing for a while.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1231558710556250

But gonna be hard to beat the previous deal I posted, as that was a lot of car for $1,500 if the engine swap was done even half right, especially in a bugeye chassis.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/6/20 7:41 a.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to classicJackets (FS) :

Filler panels for the eyes are brazed in. That bonnet is too rough to restore when you can get a fiberglass reproduction in several different styles including stock if you need headlamps. If competition only you can make it really pretty without lamps, see photo below.

Wow, never saw one without the headlight buckets, that looks really cool! But that roll hoop is not going to help anyone if something bad happens.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
10/6/20 7:54 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

That swap car looks bad to the bone. 

As for this car, cool score.  Maybe a swap to one of the other similar hoods, like a Midget piece, would make for an inexpensive replacement?  A fiberglass Bugeye style hood sound good but also like a big budget hit.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
10/6/20 8:13 a.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

If you want a bug eye hood borrow one I'll talk you through making a mold.  The cost of the mold doesn't count  against your budget. Straightening out the pattern doesn't count either.  That should be easy since you can do a lot of hack stuff on the pattern. If it were me I'd smooth out what you have. 
      The material costs for the actual part should be less than $200. Depending on if you can buy wholesale a lot cheaper. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/6/20 8:39 a.m.

With the budget you have, I would leave body until last. Anything you do, you will want to undo if you keep and develop the car, so paper mache and house paint the thing if you must for the challenge so you don't have to compromise on the go fast part of the challenge.

For the show and shine bit, had the judges a pair of these nifty accessories:

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
10/6/20 8:57 a.m.

Bonnets swap pretty easy with an extra pair of hands, expecially if fiberglass

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
10/6/20 7:50 p.m.

The Midget solves exactly none of the packaging issues. The structure is identical, and the bonnet line is too, you just can't visualize it with the less attractive later fenders.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
10/6/20 7:52 p.m.

In reply to dherr (Forum Supporter) :

That hoop was legal when I took the photo! Hobo Hill hillclimb. Belvale NY 1968.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
10/6/20 8:02 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

The Midget solves exactly none of the packaging issues. The structure is identical, and the bonnet line is too, you just can't visualize it with the less attractive later fenders.

The Midget doesn't solve the packaging issue but it solves the more available and cheaper issues.  The 289 solves (helps?) the packaging issues by being narrower and with the distributor up front.  But now that I think about that I wonder if a front mount distributor would interfere with the hood more.  Either way it's tight.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
10/7/20 6:44 a.m.

Is there a build thread for this yet ?

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
10/7/20 7:08 a.m.
Indy "Nub" Guy said:

Is there a build thread for this yet ?

No.. I'll get one together soon. I have to grab a few more parts they found for it today. I haven't seen the car since pushing it into my buddy's garage Monday evening, lots of digging in left to be done.

Edit: Thread started here

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
10/7/20 8:17 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I read through that swap car build thread.  Seems smart to use the trans tunnel as a sort of box/spine setup the way the builder did.  Probably quite stiff. 

Frenchy:  I don't see myself building anything British.  One of these might be fun for the Challenge, though, with the right drivetrain.  Personally I'd rather have the pre-rubber bumper Midget setup as I like that look better. 

128racecar
128racecar Reader
10/11/20 10:08 a.m.

Since you may looking for a bonnet, here's an option in Ann Arbor:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3053108198249477

Marc in Indy

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
10/11/20 1:03 p.m.

In reply to 128racecar :

I've seen his list on CL as well, need to get my Miata sold and talk to him, maybe post-payday :)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F7k4mfjJWnDCoF4DkCtx9ojpsDmM2W2gSpMPkRtag4hBfTK1sYsDTvJto1d6fnlZ