1 2
AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
7/16/21 2:12 p.m.

Ideally, I'd like to bring Olaf down to the Challenge this year, compete and then hand it off to the next owner. Turns out I'm taking possession of a Miata with a cage so, unfortunately, dear Olaf needs to give up its driveway space.

It will be for sale with the daisies and NO hardtop as pictured below although it's much cleaner these days. 

Olaf is a 1990 Miata, clean title in my name. What it is - a slightly tired Miata that definitely still Miatas. It's still a 1.6 but I believe on it's third engine. If memory serves, it was originally in NJ, then spent a while in VA and it's now in OH.

What it needs that will be remedied before the Challenge as long as I still go. 

• Brakes all around
  • Rear diff bushings
  • Maybe a shifter rebuild

Issues that won't be handled before the Challenge.

• Some rust - pretty damn good for a car in Cleveland, won't compare so well to a southern car
    • Usual Miata spots at the bottoms of the fenders and right in front of the rear wheels
    • Driver's floor has some rust
  • "Frame rail" damage
    • The front "frame rails" have some separation in the normal Miata place
    • There is some jacking damage on these "rails" as well
  • The soft top is still there but leaks pretty badly and has had the rear window replaced with a piece of black vinyl
  • It has a couple minor oil leaks but it does not appear to burn any whatsoever.
  • Failed early Miata white paint

Parts of note:

• Racing Beat rear subframe brace
  • OId KYB shocks with Eibach Springs (257398 and 257400)
  • Worn out NRG steering wheel
  • Header - forget the brand, don't think it's anything fancy
  • Has an AUX hookup
  • Original owners manual

It really is a great beater Miata, I drive it all the time and I intended to keep it for quite a while but it's hard to turn down a much cleaner car with a cage. Although I'd really like to get to the Challenge this year, I could also be convinced to pass it along to someone looking for a car who definitely will go.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
7/16/21 2:28 p.m.

I'll buy it at after the concourse at the challenge for $1000.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
7/16/21 2:37 p.m.

In reply to Greg Voth :

You got it. As long as I make it to the Challenge this year, it's yours. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
7/16/21 2:57 p.m.

Dammit Greg you beat me to it by, what, 20 min? And you didn't even lowball first!

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
7/16/21 3:05 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Dammit Greg you beat me to it by, what, 20 min? And you didn't even lowball first!

A lowball at that number would have been, respectfully, rejected. 

mmcvay
mmcvay New Reader
7/16/21 9:53 p.m.

I was just wondering what was up with Olaf. It really is a great beater Miata. Now I miss it again.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/16/21 10:00 p.m.

I'm feeling a combination of disappointment for missing this, and relief..

for missing this. 

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
7/16/21 11:47 p.m.
AxeHealey said:

In reply to Greg Voth :

You got it. As long as I make it to the Challenge this year, it's yours. 

Sounds like a plan!

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
dan0 (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/17/21 5:25 a.m.

Missed this one, but I've already scored two inexpensive Miata from the forum. 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
7/17/21 6:21 a.m.

Bummer, I pushed my last cheap Miata out the door and my wife isn't over it yet. I'll look for the next, or be in line!

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/17/21 9:29 a.m.

In reply to classicJackets (FS) :

Marketplace here in south MS has been flooded with NA Miatas lately. What's your budget?

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
7/17/21 11:19 a.m.
classicJackets (FS) said:

Bummer, I pushed my last cheap Miata out the door and my wife isn't over it yet. I'll look for the next, or be in line!

The cheapest Miata on the planet and you chose to let it go.....tsk-tsk......wink

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
dan0 (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/17/21 4:24 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

The cheapest Miata on the planet and you chose to let it go.....tsk-tsk......wink

Cheaper than free? That's how I got my current Miata. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
7/17/21 5:33 p.m.

In reply to dan0 (Forum Supporter) :

I screwed him over for $100 when I sold it to him.smiley

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
7/19/21 8:18 a.m.
mmcvay said:

I was just wondering what was up with Olaf. It really is a great beater Miata. Now I miss it again.

I'm definitely going to miss it. No question. I've driven it more than any of my other cars this summer. 

It turns out I may need to have Olaf leave my driveway before the Challenge, unfortunately. Looks like the other Miata is expected at my house within a couple weeks. Anyone interested before the Challenge? If no one on GRM takes it before it's got to go, it's headed to marketplace with a non-GRM price. 

Greg - Sorry this may not work out for you. EDIT - Unless you want to fly and drive it. In which case I'll keep you #1 in line. 

ClassicJackets - Looks like you're in MI...

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
7/19/21 4:04 p.m.

If I had a grand to burn, I'd be on my way, lol.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
7/19/21 4:41 p.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

Oh geez, I just bid on a different car swmbo doesn't know about, I didn't need this to come back up after successfully ignoring it the first time.  

I don't really aspire to own a miata, but a 1k miata seems like alot of fun for the money.  How bad is the rust?  I don't care so much about astetics, will it suck to work on?  Manual transmission, correct?

I have outdoor storage space available if you need to stash this somewhere.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
7/19/21 5:25 p.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

I PM'd

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
7/19/21 9:44 p.m.

Now worries, I'll pass it on to the next taker. Unfortunately don't really have the time to take off at the moment.  

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
7/20/21 8:31 a.m.
Dead_Sled said:

In reply to AxeHealey :

Oh geez, I just bid on a different car swmbo doesn't know about, I didn't need this to come back up after successfully ignoring it the first time.  

I don't really aspire to own a miata, but a 1k miata seems like alot of fun for the money.  How bad is the rust?  I don't care so much about astetics, will it suck to work on?  Manual transmission, correct?

I have outdoor storage space available if you need to stash this somewhere.

Shoot, I should have sent you a message. Slipped my mind, sorry.

Miatas are tons of fun for the money. Hard to beat, really. It's significantly less rusty than a '90 Miata that lived it's whole life in Cleveland would be but still has some. It's in between the rustiness of the two Miatas we race and there were many rustier Miatas on track this past weekend. 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
7/20/21 8:32 a.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

I PM'd

Didn't get it. Maybe I accidently deleted it but I don't see it in trash. I'll try to PM you.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
7/20/21 8:32 a.m.

In reply to Greg Voth :

Sorry, man.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
7/20/21 8:43 a.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

No worries at all. I've got a ton projects already and have been trying to thin the heard anyhow. 

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
7/20/21 8:49 a.m.

In case others fall through, PM sent. 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
7/20/21 9:31 a.m.

In reply to fusion66 :

I also did not get that PM. Consider yourself in line. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FgxVN2kvGPnUUCqLebUy0mS48KsIc4jHrpoQt2ksR4KzGkcmZjuGmCkVpJOscDh8