Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/17/20 2:22 p.m.

I just called my local performance tire store just to check in, see how they're doing. They're getting along okay. Business has slowed, but still maintaining. I've been using this small family business for over ten years, and I'm on very good terms with everyone there. They've serviced all of the cars I've owned during that time.

The technician mentioned this car, said the owners want to get out of it, "asking" price of $500. All information that I'm posting is from the tech at the shop. I have not seen it, nor do I know the owner of the car.

I am not the contact for further information, owner's name/number is posted below.

205,000 miles. No visible rust (central Florida), automatic with the turbo 2.4. It smokes "some", and has some oil blowyby in the intake, but my friend reports that it still runs good.

He told them that it might need a turbo, they replied that they don't want to put any money into it.

Pictures to follow.

Owner's contact information: James: (407) 463-7785.

4/17/20 2:28 p.m.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) UltraDork
4/17/20 2:37 p.m.

4/17/20 2:40 p.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) said:

I can't disagree, but I figure an SRT-4 engine for a few hundred is worth sharing here.

dan0
dan0 Reader
4/17/20 4:11 p.m.

Hmmmm. Researching. Possible interest. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
4/17/20 4:35 p.m.

There is one here in town slammed on adapted Porsche club sports that looks amazing. I don't get it since they are horrendous but this one looks A+

4/17/20 5:24 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Honestly, I kind of love them. Awful to work on. Tons of compromises to get the style, and a genuine weirdness. I paid $900 for a totaled 4 door, but it had the 5 speed. I'd snatch this up if I could.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/17/20 6:08 p.m.

Yep I'd probably be in real trouble if that was in Chicago.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) UltimaDork
4/17/20 7:15 p.m.

$500 speaks to me.  Learn me what this engine means as a donor?  Can I rwd convert it?  How hard to mid engine manual trans swap it?  What kinda power can I get at half budget Challenge levels?

4/17/20 7:36 p.m.

If it was a five speed, I would be lobbying for permission to buy it.

That would be a fail, since I bought a WRX wagon last week, so then I would be posting it here.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/17/20 8:07 p.m.

I'm dreaming of what K-car derivative I could stuff that mill into.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
4/17/20 8:22 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

$500 speaks to me.  Learn me what this engine means as a donor?  Can I rwd convert it?  How hard to mid engine manual trans swap it?  What kinda power can I get at half budget Challenge levels?

I think there was a first gen Dodge Dakota transmission that bolted up to it, but it’s pretty rare.  Somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind, it says the bellhousing from that trans could be easily adapted to a more durable transmission, too.

I’d probably go looking for a 1st gen Caravan to stuff it into.

TJL
TJL HalfDork
4/17/20 8:30 p.m.

Tempting. Im local too. And man, thats a car id have absolutely no remorse about beating the everloving crap out of. 

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
4/17/20 8:41 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Yep I'd probably be in real trouble if that was in Chicago.

I ended up in trouble a while back when found one for $700 in the Joliet area.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
4/17/20 8:55 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
Stampie (FS) said:

I think there was a first gen Dodge Dakota transmission that bolted up to it, but it’s pretty rare.  Somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind, it says the bellhousing from that trans could be easily adapted to a more durable transmission, too.

I’d probably go looking for a 1st gen Caravan to stuff it into.

Some use the 2.5 Dakota bellhousing.  One mounting hole doesn't line up, IIrc.   Some use a Wrangler bellhousing from a 2.4.    AX15 and a Toyota Supra transmissions are used with the Dak bell  AR-5 from a Kappa is used with the Wrangler bell.   Not sure whehter the transmissions swap between the bells.   There is also a Colorado MA5 trans somewhere in the mix, as well, but i have forgotten more than I remember about this over the past few years.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
4/17/20 9:43 p.m.

Liberty 2.4 bellhousing will fit any of the r/w-15x derivatives....

4/18/20 9:20 a.m.

Any neon 5 speed bolts up, and appears strong enough. The ECM maybe needs to be lied to/doesn't work with the stick shift conversion. It sounds like Cooter's  got the knowledge on RWD. 

linkinparker445 on this forum converted a PT from auto to stick.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BlJbCOJN2fAezJdp4wb2NrvOv6PQ9L4egAyFYMrPgYlMQVlVf1DxFQXjUJrCc9o6