1 2
93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
7/31/18 9:48 a.m.

And replied.  You can sleep in the back, I have, its pretty comfy.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/31/18 10:36 a.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

Yeah, but I might have to sleep there forever!

I answered your email. 

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
7/31/18 2:28 p.m.

Did you book your flight yet?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/1/18 6:20 a.m.

In reply to m4ff3w :

No, I am waiting in the wings to see if Mr 93GSX can find a better deal than I can give him. 

But here’s a bump for a good seller. smiley

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
8/1/18 10:13 a.m.

As someone who doesn't know diesels, what's to know about the 7.3 Powerstroke? This is very, very tempting, but the miles scare me a bit.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
8/1/18 10:17 a.m.

The mileage is low for a 7.3L, 500K+ miles is easy for one, unless quite abused. I wouldn't be afraid of it.

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
8/1/18 11:28 a.m.
81cpcamaro said:

The mileage is low for a 7.3L, 500K+ miles is easy for one, unless quite abused. I wouldn't be afraid of it.

Whatever you do, do NOT calculate how much you would spend on diesel to drive it for 500k!

Well, really don't do that math on gas for any car. but most can't run 500k.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/1/18 11:32 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

I have 560K on mine. 

Purchase price was $7500. I’ve driven it for 15 years, and put 340,000 miles on it.  I’ve done regular maintenance (oil, tires, and brakes). 

The ONLY major repairs I’ve done were injectors ($2700 IIRC), and recently a transmission rebuild ($2300)

Go ahead. Do the math. 

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
8/1/18 12:26 p.m.

I do the math on all my vehicles, looks like you are about $500-1k more per year than I am on a 2005 honda odyssey (which we similarly put 20-22k per year on), which is fair for the additional capability.

my only point is that gas is almost always the single largest expense when looking at the total cost of a vehicle, and when you look at a half-million mile vehicle that is a lot!

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
8/1/18 12:36 p.m.

Something to keep in mind with used diesel trucks is the residual value is pretty high regardless of miles, whereas a Honda Odyssey with 500k is worth scrap value on a good day.

Regarding accumulated mileage on the 7.3, its a true million mile motor, many in service at 500k in school busses and medium duty trucks that run a lot hard than an F250 that was used to haul one person, 3 2x4s and a gallon of milk.   

Edit:  Also, still for sale, buy my truck so I have room in the driveway!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/1/18 12:37 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

I apologize. I thought you said “don’t calculate how much you would spend on THE diesel...” implying maintenance costs. I see now you said “spend ON diesel”, meaning the fuel. 

I get 22 mpg with my 7.3L diesel.  I know a lot of cars that can’t do that, and none with my capacity. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/1/18 12:40 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

You must be guessing on my fuel expenses, because the numbers I gave you total $833 GROSS per year.  I can’t be $500-1000 more than you.

Don't know how you figured the fuel....

According to Fuelly.com your Odyssey should average 20.1 mpg. That would mean you spend more on fuel than I do in my diesel.  wink

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
8/1/18 1:01 p.m.

Yeah, without looking anything up I assumed easy numbers of 15 mpg for your truck and 20 for my honda, $3/gal either way. Since we both get almost the same mileage in actuality (and as previously stated - basically the only significant cost is fuel), we probably spend almost the exact same.

10k easy number truck cost (purchase + repair - resale); 340/22*3 is a little less than $50k, 60k/15 years is 4k per year. My odyssey (just checked my spreadsheet) comes in at $4,128 over the last 3.5 years, and I haven't sold it yet so that is assuming $0 resale.

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
8/1/18 1:02 p.m.
93gsxturbo said:

Something to keep in mind with used diesel trucks is the residual value is pretty high regardless of miles, whereas a Honda Odyssey with 500k is worth scrap value on a good day.

This is true, mine has 220k and is near its end.

SORRY for the thread jack!

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
8/1/18 1:08 p.m.

Only reason all of this popped into my head is that I used to own an 84 f250 6.9idi with the 4 speed.

Bought it for $1500, probably spent $1000 total on maintenance and fixes. Sold it for $1800. So $700 out of pocket. But after I sold it I looked back on the total I spent to drive that thing close to 30k miles (most of it highway towing at about 11 mpg).

30k *$3/gal / 10 mpg = $9 thousand dollars. Yes, the $700 truck was basically free compared to the fuel.

Soo, come one come all! Get your FREE TRUCK here! Who wants a free truck?

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
8/1/18 1:29 p.m.

You guys are seriously making this hard - what's the hitch rated at? I've found the Ford Hitches are usually under-rated for the truck. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
8/1/18 2:43 p.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

2" receiver hitch is 10k lbs as-is or 12k lbs with weight distributing.  Also has a gooseneck with removable ball in the bed but that hasn't been used.  Has a brake controller.  PO used it to bumper pull a 20' camper.  I have never had anything hooked up to it or hauled anything of significant weight with it.  

I will extend the same offer to anyone else on this forum that I offered to Mr SVRex.  Paypal me $500, I will keep it for up to 30 days while you secure transport, and I will pick you up at the airport (I live 10 mins from Mitchell International in Milwaukee) , give you a home cooked meal of your choice, a clean bed, and a tank full of fuel for your trip home.  

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
8/1/18 4:42 p.m.

You really are making this incredibly tough. Talking with SWMBO.... Let me know if someone jumps on it while I'm counting beans.

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
8/1/18 5:38 p.m.

That's a great price for a great truck, trucks hold more value than the Excursions and you can't touch a much less maintained one for 13k around here. (the EX, trucks are often more unless they are beat to hell work truck versions)

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
8/2/18 10:30 a.m.

I just want it out of my driveway - first reasonable offer can take it home!

Reminds me back to the days of having two F250s, a WRX, and an E55 AMG all in the driveway.  Was a little much.  Although the displacement per square foot of pavement was pretty great with two 7.3s and an E55.  If I would have had the Viper at the same time I would have gotten Christmas cards from BP.  

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
8/7/18 9:56 a.m.

Bump for offers!

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
8/22/18 1:39 p.m.

...aaaand she's gone.  Thanks for the interest, everyone.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NUtqDdK7cLWUt6L0CKcECQMUCZoinQAigQcSLL97CZoh0vJUz0miRm2AFOCjAQMN