1 2
Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/6/23 9:39 a.m.

My dad has a bright yellow Cobalt SS supercharged coupe he bought brand new that's for sale now. He hit a hog last week and it needs an a/C condenser, radiator, and heat exchanger. Brand new tires and brakes, was running flawlessly before, and no cosmetic damage surprisingly. He's an A&P mechanic who works for NASA so the maintenance has been as anal retentive as you'd expect. 

He's in the New Smyrna Beach area and wants Challenge money for it, though he is hoping for a little more. 

Yes this is after hitting the hog! It also has all over 300K miles. I wantv to say 340ish range? On the original clutch, it's all freeway miles. 

Anyway, would make a great project or commuter car with minimal work, or turn it into an amazing Challenge car. 

MrStickShift
MrStickShift Reader
3/6/23 10:26 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Does he have any interest in trading for a 96 Buick Roadmaster?

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/6/23 10:33 a.m.

berkeley! Why did I have to see this? Half an hour away.

hobiercr
hobiercr UltraDork
3/6/23 10:47 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

DO IT!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/6/23 11:24 a.m.

sent you my # 

ExcessKuma
ExcessKuma Reader
3/6/23 1:00 p.m.

Second in line if Patrick backs out of the deal

hobiercr
hobiercr UltraDork
3/6/23 1:42 p.m.

Form the wiki page, just saying I'm in favor of Stage 3.

SS Supercharged[edit]

A two-door car being driven.

A SS Supercharged Cobalt racing

Available as a coupe only, the SS Supercharged featured the 2.0 L LSJ Ecotec engine with an Eaton M62 Roots type supercharger and air‑to‑liquid intercooler.[10] The engine makes 205 hp (153 kW) at 5600 rpm and 200 lb⋅ft (271 N⋅m) at 4,400 rpm.[7] 18‑inch broad spoke wheels with P215/45R18 summer Pirelli tires were standard. Optional for the LSJ was a performance package coded G85 that added Recaro bucket seats and a limited slip differential (LSD). The G85 option continued in the LNF Cobalt, but added only the LSD. The car became notable for a high‑profile spoiler that was standard in 2005, but optional from 2008 when a lower profile spoiler used on all other Cobalt coupes became an option.[11]

GM offered dealer-installed performance upgrade packages called "stage kits" that were covered by factory warranty.[12] The Stage 1 kit consists of new fuel injectors and a reprogram of the ECU, and yields up to a 30 hp (22 kW) improvement. The Stage 2 kit consists of new fuel injectors and the same reprogram with a smaller serpentine belt and pulley for the supercharger, producing a 36 hp (27 kW) improvement and 18 lb⋅ft (24 N⋅m) of torque. Both stage 1 and 2 kits increase the engine redline to 7,000 rpm.[12] The Stage 3 kit consists of a smaller, 76 mm (3.0 in) supercharger pulley, a 2‑pass intercooler end plate and a customizable replacement ECU. The Stage 3 ECU allows for the use of a 50‑shot of nitrous, 100 octane fuel and an adjustable redline from 6,750 to 8,000 rpm. Stage 3 produces 248 hp (185 kW) using 93 octane fuel, up 260 hp (194 kW) using 100 octane fuel, and much higher power with nitrous. Stage 3 is for track use only, and to emphasize this, air conditioning is disabled with the Stage 3 ECU.[12]

Wheel hop, wheelspin, and a general lack of traction were problems frequently encountered with the supercharged Cobalt due to its front drive setup and relatively high torque. Upgraded front and rear trans and motor mounts would help to alleviate these issues.[13] The GM Performance Division later tried to rectify these problems in the turbocharged car by providing wider, stickier tires and stronger axles.[14]

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/6/23 1:59 p.m.

I'm out crying Carli was excited till she found out it was a manual, she only wants an auto

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/6/23 2:21 p.m.
ExcessKuma said:

Second in line if Patrick backs out of the deal

I sent dad your phone #

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/6/23 5:26 p.m.

Too far but your Dad impressed me - 340,000 miles on that clutch?  

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/6/23 8:22 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

Too far but your Dad impressed me - 340,000 miles on that clutch?  

Yessir. 

Clay
Clay HalfDork
3/8/23 5:45 p.m.

Did this ever sale?  I'm in Jax and interested if not. 

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/8/23 6:02 p.m.

In reply to Clay :

ExcessKuma is looking at it tomorrow.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/9/23 6:22 p.m.

In reply to ExcessKuma :

Dad is waiting for you to call him...

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/9/23 7:10 p.m.

Dad's really wanting to sell and offered $1800 as is. He priced out $513 to fix it. 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
3/9/23 7:48 p.m.

Oh man, I'm coming down to Florida next weekend.  Dare I tow this bad boy home?  I can't fix it myself, I'd have to have a shop do it...

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/9/23 8:20 p.m.

340k on original clutch, that's impressive!!

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
3/9/23 8:40 p.m.

Any pictures of the interior?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/9/23 9:18 p.m.

In reply to XLR99 (Forum Supporter) :

That guy really understood my dad yelling at me - DONT RIDE THE CLUTCH

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/9/23 9:33 p.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

Oh man, I'm coming down to Florida next weekend.  Dare I tow this bad boy home?  I can't fix it myself, I'd have to have a shop do it...

I can convince him to replace the radiator. You could then drive the car, but will have to do the A/C condenser later. 

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/9/23 9:34 p.m.

ExcessKuma backed out, so if you are interested let me know

ExcessKuma
ExcessKuma Reader
3/9/23 9:56 p.m.
Javelin said:

In reply to ExcessKuma :

Dad is waiting for you to call him...

Sorry about that delay. I had gotten caught up. I did reply back to him. Definitely would recommend him though, very nice gentleman.

ExcessKuma
ExcessKuma Reader
3/10/23 2:59 p.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

Any pictures of the interior?

ToManyProjects
ToManyProjects New Reader
4/19/23 11:18 p.m.

Did this Sell?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/20/23 1:01 a.m.