1 2
glueguy
glueguy Dork
11/30/18 1:17 p.m.

Client picked this up and added a new battery, radiator, brakes, tires and carb.  58k miles, original FL dealership paperwork.  AC (needs charge) and cruise control.  Asking $1750, told me bottom line is $1500 because of everything he put into it.  He's a car collector and this was a stray in a 2 car deal, I think.

Located in Seminole (Clearwater), FL.  I could store it short term if needed.

It's going on CL soon, so let me know if you are interested and I'll pass his number along.  

Cooter
Cooter Dork
11/30/18 1:56 p.m.

What model year is it?

It's begging to be combined wth a PT/GT Cruiser, but I don't think I could have the heart to do it.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap HalfDork
11/30/18 1:57 p.m.

Talking to the wife lady right now, this is the perfect car for her. 

glueguy
glueguy Dork
11/30/18 2:07 p.m.

It’s a 1985, I’m pretty sure. Total Grandma edition. 

Someone buy it so I don’t do something irrational. 

Cooter
Cooter Dork
11/30/18 2:17 p.m.

In reply to glueguy :

'85 was carbureted, so I wouldn't feel nearly as bad swapping it. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
11/30/18 2:18 p.m.
Professor_Brap said:

Talking to the wife lady right now, this is the perfect car for her. 

Do you need an excuse for a divorce?

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap HalfDork
11/30/18 3:12 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

No divorce here, she like cars as much as me. 

Danny Shields
Danny Shields HalfDork
11/30/18 3:23 p.m.

We had white Omni fleet cars at work back in the day.  That one looks like it has held up better, must have had an easy life.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap HalfDork
11/30/18 3:47 p.m.

Pm sent 

glueguy
glueguy Dork
11/30/18 5:07 p.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap :

Replied to email. 

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
11/30/18 5:14 p.m.
Cooter said:

In reply to glueguy :

'85 was carbureted, so I wouldn't feel nearly as bad swapping it. 

Seriously, those damned carbs were so hateful to deal with.  It wasn't until the very end of the line that they finally put TBI on the base model Omni/Horizon, but then the molds were destroyed in a fire apparently and 1990 was the end.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
11/30/18 6:39 p.m.

'88 was the first year for FI. My parents had a loaded '88 Horizon they bought new, and it was still under $7k.  

It was a good little appliance until my brother totalled it. 

My '82 Rampage was horrid to drive until I swapped a FI/5 speed drivetrain in from an 89 Omni that my cousin's friend totalled. 

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
11/30/18 7:20 p.m.
Cooter said:

'88 was the first year for FI. My parents had a loaded '88 Horizon they bought new, and it was still under $7k.  

It was a good little appliance until my brother totalled it. 

My '82 Rampage was horrid to drive until I swapped a FI/5 speed drivetrain in from an 89 Omni that my cousin's friend totalled. 

I was able to get the carb on my 84 to sort of work okay after a lot or work removing non-working emissions equipment.  Of course they had the non-feedback carbs which were a bit more reliable than the feedback carbs used on the passenger cars (it was classed as a truck, so it had less emissions equipment).

I was going to toss a turbo drivetrain in it, but never did.  I still miss it, such a handy little truck that was the definition of "slow car fast"

A 1-piece turbo intake manifold and MegaSquirt makes for a pretty reliable and economical solution that looks factory.  The automatic is pretty hard to kill, even if its pretty old-school tech with only 3 forward gears and no-lockup.

Lots of improvements available still to make it a bit better than stock or completely bonkers quick.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
11/30/18 8:10 p.m.

My Rampage was the best junkyard picking vehicle I ever had once I swapped the later drivetrain in.   $150 for the donor, everything factory, over 30MpG highway, and a bed low enough that I could easily load Dana 60 front ends into by myself.  It was a shame when the front strut tower came apart on it...

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
11/30/18 10:30 p.m.

Every time I see a Horizon/Omni I wish they'd brought it's smaller sibling over.  

Funny I never really had time for the Lotus version despite winning a rally manufacturers title I believe with one of the Toivonens. smiley

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
11/30/18 10:35 p.m.

Someone, please buy this car as I really, really want it.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
11/30/18 10:36 p.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

Actually, that's the OmniRizon's Daddy. 

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
12/1/18 12:00 p.m.

That car will forever bring back painful memories.  My parents sent me to one of those AAA driving schools after I got my license, so they could get lower insurance rates.  They had an Omni as an instructor car.  The rest of my class and I decided to play a joke on the instructor and pick up the car and turn it sideways against a fence.  I momentarily forgot the rear bumper sticks out so far.  Dropped it right on my knee....went to my prom on crutches.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
12/1/18 12:03 p.m.

Here's another survivor in Connecticut. 22,000 miles, $3k

Not mine, etc...

Selling my grandpa's 1987 Plymouth Horizon this car is original owner with only 22,000 miles . Super clean automatic. Kept garage it's whole life. Has new timing belt done at dealer last week. Ice cold A/C . Needs nothing turn key call me
475-343-9835 asking $3000 please don't waist my time

keithedwards
keithedwards New Reader
12/8/18 7:01 p.m.
Danny Shields said:

We had white Omni fleet cars at work back in the day.  That one looks like it has held up better, must have had an easy life.

I think we had one Omni in the fleet at work, in the '80s sometime. Nobody wanted to drive it, but it was better (in some ways) than the one Chevette.

I like that this Omni has a trailer hitch...

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
12/23/18 9:10 a.m.

This Omni is super clean. I kinda hope someone buys it who cares more about the fact that it's intact than they care about its sleeper potential. Plenty of fun to be had in one without tearing up that near perfect tan interior...

Im no carb expert but I got the carb on my 84 Rampage working almost perfectly while i was supposed to be autocrossing at the Challenge. It ran 17.6 leaning out a bit at the end (filter issue) in the 1/4 on the one run i attempted which as far as im concerned is 95% of its peak performance. Point being if the carb is not mechanically screwed it's not impossible to sort, might take 2 hours.

glueguy
glueguy Dork
12/23/18 10:07 a.m.
Vigo said:

This Omni is super clean. I kinda hope someone buys it who cares more about the fact that it's intact than they care about its sleeper potential. Plenty of fun to be had in one without tearing up that near perfect tan interior...

Im no carb expert but I got the carb on my 84 Rampage working almost perfectly while i was supposed to be autocrossing at the Challenge. It ran 17.6 leaning out a bit at the end (filter issue) in the 1/4 on the one run i attempted which as far as im concerned is 95% of its peak performance. Point being if the carb is not mechanically screwed it's not impossible to sort, might take 2 hours.

It’s got a new fuel pump and 2 bbl original Holley carb. Starts and idles fine. I haven’t driven it yet. Underside is completely rust free from a cursory inspection. He has a lift but I looked from the rear and down the rockers. The dealer plate is from Sebring - the middle of the state so probably no salty air. 

It’s definitely nice for what it is.

CJ
CJ Reader
12/23/18 11:48 a.m.

For some reason, I thought that the engine in the Omni was a VW unit that Chrysler had berkeleyed with. 

If that is true, wouldn't a FI VW setup of about that vintage and Micro Squirt fix the carb issue?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
12/23/18 12:09 p.m.

In reply to CJ :

The early cars did use a VW (1.6L iirc) engine.  I don’t know the details though.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
12/23/18 2:24 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to CJ :

The early cars did use a VW (1.6L iirc) engine.  I don’t know the details though.

VW 1.7L or Peugeot 1.6L (pushrod).  My family has had one of each.  The 1.7 was a powder blue Miser that my grandparents bought new and Grandma used for her Avon deliveries.  Uncle used to borrow it to get his DSP prepped GLH through emissions before they started checking vin numbers (just swapped plates).  Eventually my dad acquired it and drove it for quite a while, eventually died on a trip to the coast, did a road trip with Grandpa and Dad to get a replacement engine from a Rabbit, it kept on rocking for years.

Older brother had the Peugeot powered one while he was rebuilding his GLH-S.  Couldn’t kill that motor and God knows he tried.  Rev to valve float and then shift.  Repeat.

A friend of the family built a 1.7L Horizon up as a serious autocrosser using VW hotrod parts and swapped in an 020 5-speed.  Suspension was Mopar Performance parts or similar (Konis, etc.). Lots of weight reduction.  Gave Uncle’s Autocross 2.2L GLH a run for its money.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZbOVNOurXHkpMvVLQ16alU4bXDVWsU9TnVvHY7X3WV4nRokakLSWqiRU0swObovD