nlevine (Forum Supporter)
nlevine (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/3/22 10:05 a.m.

https://www.copart.com/lot/52024032/clean-title-1973-porsche-914-va-danville

If what I'm seeing is correct, it looks like somebody's project got donated and ended up at Copart in Virginia. Not something you see at a salvage yard every day. A little bit of rear-end damage to contend with as well...

1973 PORSCHE 914 for Sale at Copart VA - DANVILLE

Front battery pack? No pictures of anything under the "engine" cover

A little rear-end damage, no tailpipe...

stan
stan UltraDork
11/3/22 10:31 a.m.

Interesting. Would be interested in why it's there and not in someones garage. 

-Side note, my last AW11 MR2 went to a guy that did this. He sent me pictures of it doing burnouts (in gravel) after it was finished...

Docwemple
Docwemple New Reader
11/3/22 10:33 a.m.

One of the few cars I'd v8 swap. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
11/5/22 12:19 p.m.

$125.00 total as of today, which is totally worth the buy in parts alone. Likely was an automotive college's project that got tossed out.

No shots of the rear motor or what seems to be any discussion as to what motor it has, which is a huge shame. Best I can see, is what seems to be a DC-DC converter to the right of the lead-acid battery and that black thing *might* be a controller, but to have it there and not on the motor itself for efficiency makes me think I'm wrong.

128racecar
128racecar Reader
11/5/22 3:04 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

$125.00 total as of today, which is totally worth the buy in parts alone. Likely was an automotive college's project that got tossed out.

No shots of the rear motor or what seems to be any discussion as to what motor it has, which is a huge shame. Best I can see, is what seems to be a DC-DC converter to the right of the lead-acid battery and that black thing *might* be a controller, but to have it there and not on the motor itself for efficiency makes me think I'm wrong.

I thought ads of cars with engine swaps that lacked pictures of the engine compartment were a gasoline thing. Looks like E-Swaps will be likewise lacking such obvious photos. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
11/5/22 4:08 p.m.
128racecar said:

I thought ads of cars with engine swaps that lacked pictures of the engine compartment were a gasoline thing. Looks like E-Swaps will be likewise lacking such obvious photos. 

That, or it's a willful decision on the part of the seller to not show a bodge job laugh. EV Swaps inevitably have to deal with complex wiring, and there's plenty of old HAMB types who get scared the instant you're using more than 2 colors of wire to start your engine, let alone run tunes.

My bet is- it's either got exposed wiring because it wasn't finished in time and nobody wanted to make the attempt, OR they have another battery pack in the rear hatch over the motor so there's just a big box staring back at you and they just didn't bother.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/5/22 5:05 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

...or the person taking pictures at copart isn't familar with the concept of an engine being anywhere other than under the hood at the front :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ss6Fb6qTfomIUGfwuU4ktr5ORdkv3Lac8aDJOo4MEncog4wbcYoV6Id5BeNWc0KI