mynameisphunk
mynameisphunk New Reader
4/6/22 11:45 a.m.

Update: $200 as it sits with the fancy motor mounts ($800+ new) still in it would be great! I'll take this as a loss - I've spent more on dumber things in life. 

You can see the car starring in our house listing below (last pic), and we expect to be under contract by tomorrow....so yeah, gotta go :-) If nobody picks up within the next couple weeks, it will be completely free after I'm back from vacation 8/14.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/312-Baer-Ave-Hanover-PA-17331/60505268_zpid/

2008 VW Rabbit 2dr 2.5 5MT, roughly 150k miles, very light front hit (cooling intact), NO TITLE

I bought this for $500 + dolly rental a while back, and planned to part this out and keep things for my own 2008 Rabbit daily driver, but we're moving and I really don't have the time or space to do anything with this right now. Towed fine on a dolly.

THE DEAL:

• This is 100% free, EXCEPT that I want the motor/trans mounts out of it. It has good aftermarket motor mounts that aren't cheap, and I plan to use them to upgrade my DD. Whoever picks up - I'd like to arrange to have the mounts pulled within a month or so after pickup, and shipped to me. 
  • UPDATED: Alternatively asking $500 (update again - now $200) with all mounts included as it sits. Mounts are BFI engine & transmission mounts (engine mount brand new, not even fully bolted in yet), and BSH billet pendulum mount (~$800 new for all 3)

• Hanover, PA 17331

THE GOOD:

• Solid, not rusty body.
  • 2dr, non-sunroof - lightest body style
  • Has aftermarket rear sway bar, C2 Motorsports tuned ECU, Neuspeed short shifter, presumably the original KPF short ratio 5spd transmission, GTI steering wheel with airbag, 16" alloy wheels, clean door cards, arm rest console, etc
  • Complete 2.5/5MT drivetrain that drove to where it sat

THE BAD:

• Missing: Front bumper/grill (actually bumper is in the car - not sure of condition since front hit), headlights, seats, valve cover, exhaust, a few other odds and ends, rear brakes were rusted solid and are tied up out of the way to roll.
  • Valve cover and cowl were both pulled and it sat outside for a while like this - I believe water was likely able to get into the motor from running down the windshield, so I would expect the motor itself PROBABLY needs replacing despite having driven to where it sat. Great for spare parts/sensors/etc though.
  • Trans was fine when parked, but right now shifter is stuck in the 3-4 gate - haven't diagnosed where the left to right action is hung up
  • Hood latch currently stuck shut
  • NO TITLE - will provide bill of sale

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/6/22 12:02 p.m.

DANG! This is nearly perfect for a long term build I have going on. Except you're 11 hrs and 650 miles away. Somebody should jump on this soon. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
4/6/22 12:19 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

That's a day trip. Way back when I was young I'd drive all over the eastern US to pick up cars.

mynameisphunk
mynameisphunk New Reader
4/6/22 12:22 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

To be fair, with gas what it is - that's an expensive day trip.

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
dan0 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/6/22 1:32 p.m.

I don't need another car, but I'm thinking about it...

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
4/6/22 1:46 p.m.

Forwarded the link along to a friend of mine

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
4/6/22 2:06 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

If you want me to store this for you I could arrange that. 

What brand of motor mounts are they? Could someone just buy you the aftermarket motor mounts as a trade? 

mynameisphunk
mynameisphunk New Reader
4/6/22 2:08 p.m.

When it comes down to it - if the picker-upper knows these cars well and wants to just swap the motor mounts with my DD Rabbit on site before pick up, we can make that work and I'd greatly appreciate it. Would work with you on that depending on timing. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/6/22 3:11 p.m.

In reply to mynameisphunk :

Mr P. Hunk,

Not for me but about those mounts....

Its a free car. How much would a new set if those good mounts cost? Answer that and sell the car as free but buy me a new $xxx set of mounts. 

mynameisphunk
mynameisphunk New Reader
4/6/22 3:20 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

The mounts are over $700. The BFI upper mount alone is $420 + tax and is brand new.

https://blackforestindustries.com/collections/mk5-rabbit-2-5-engine-performance/products/bfi-mk5-mk6-stage-1-engine-mount-5-cylinder

mynameisphunk
mynameisphunk New Reader
4/6/22 3:35 p.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

Yes, of course I'd be open to that.
This is what it has, plus the BSH pendulum mount that is no longer available. $800-900 all in, including tax. 
https://www.bmptuning.com/products/bfi-stage-1-engine-transmission-mount-kit-2-5l-i5

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
4/6/22 4:08 p.m.

Let me just say this is a heck of a cool first post. Most free car first posts are people trying to get the car not give the car! Thanks for joining and I hope you stick around. 

mynameisphunk
mynameisphunk New Reader
4/6/22 4:12 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Thank you! Though note my join date, I've been here since 2008 laugh I think I joined when I bought this, or shortly thereafter....and just never posted. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/6/22 4:47 p.m.

Color me surprised by mount prices. I'm just not a VW guy. Though I did own a 83 Rabbit for many years, back in the day. 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
4/6/22 6:18 p.m.

Not to enable but I'm 30 minutes from there with a truck.... heading back to NW Ohio tomorrow afternoon though

mynameisphunk
mynameisphunk New Reader
4/18/22 9:08 a.m.

Have some additional pics for anyone interested - quite a few of the front end. Bumper cover in the car still looks good from what I can tell, and looking around the front end (with hood closed at least) I can't really see any significant signs of the impact. Hood still shut - but I was able to get pics of the top end through the cowl as well for what it's worth.

HercAviTech
HercAviTech
4/19/22 11:01 a.m.

I'm interested. Do you have any pictures of the engine bay as it sits? Also, it's got the 2.5L inline 5, correct?

HercAviTech
HercAviTech New Reader
4/19/22 3:51 p.m.

I realize after rereading your post that the hood is stuck closed and it is indeed the 2.5 I'm looking for. Again. Interested. Located about 2.5 hours away in Maryland.

mynameisphunk
mynameisphunk New Reader
4/20/22 12:38 p.m.

In reply to HercAviTech :

Apologies Herc - I can work with you for sure. I'm not at the house where the car is as we've moved - I'll message you with direct contact info. 

mynameisphunk
mynameisphunk New Reader
7/27/22 9:13 a.m.

Updated main listing - still have it - would love to get $200 out of the $800 motor mounts in it, but ultimately it's gotta go. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vNz64ZwT4nxgbtSnA58v69XPGXUO5gH8zU9TlgIz76tFXbwUhMXbbqp4G8ss7LqF