1 2
akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
3/19/19 11:32 a.m.
classicJackets said:

Aagh! I'll miss out on the 23rd, we're going to see a play in Grand Rapids that day.. bummer!!

Aagh! I'll miss out on the 23rd, we're going leaving Grand Rapids that day to open the cabin.. bummer!!

Funny how that works.

artur1808
artur1808 Reader
3/22/19 2:05 p.m.

Unfortunately I've been reminded of the fact that I'll be out of town this weekend and can't make it. If something like this comes up again, I'd love to get together with some fellow GRMers. 

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
3/22/19 2:29 p.m.

Unrelated, I was at a bar on Wednesday as an invited guest to a whiskey league.  They wore Whiskey Business shirts.  Bourbon 1 is the place.

whiskey_business
whiskey_business Reader
3/22/19 2:32 p.m.

Sorry to hear some of you guys cant come, we'll make sure to document the event well! Anyone else interested in coming by?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
3/23/19 8:59 a.m.

T minus two hours until the deconstruction begins!  On my way to the Future Hammer store to get a cheap recip saw.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/23/19 9:13 a.m.

I've got two recip saws ready.  Remember to get blades Patrick.

Eliot-unless you think its necessary, I'm going to leave my plasma cutter at home.  My torch tanks are too tall to fit in the Yukon and my wife has the van so I can't bring those today.

whiskey_business
whiskey_business Reader
3/23/19 9:18 a.m.

In reply to wawazat :

No worries, I think it will be fairly quick work even without a torch!

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/23/19 9:20 a.m.

I agreedevil

whiskey_business
whiskey_business Reader
3/23/19 9:42 a.m.

Shoot me a text when you guys are close so I can come out, I have no doorbell!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
3/23/19 9:59 a.m.

In reply to wawazat :

Future hammer and many blades are in hand

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
3/23/19 10:48 a.m.
akylekoz said:
classicJackets said:

Aagh! I'll miss out on the 23rd, we're going to see a play in Grand Rapids that day.. bummer!!

Aagh! I'll miss out on the 23rd, we're going leaving Grand Rapids that day to open the cabin.. bummer!!

Funny how that works.

Heh. I’m missing out too as I will be in Grand Rapids for a family thing.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/23/19 4:10 p.m.

Well that was a lot of fun Eliot!  Thanks for letting us turn your house into a chop shop. 

Word of warning to you all-Never, I mean NEVER get close to Adrian with a sledge hammer. 

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/23/19 4:30 p.m.

By the way it was good meeting you Eliot, Patrick, Jason, and Ian.  Always good to see you Adrian.  Thanks for the pizza Patrick.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/23/19 4:31 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

In reply to wawazat :

Future hammer and many blades are in hand

Nowhere near enough blades for the damage we did to that chassis today.

whiskey_business
whiskey_business Reader
3/23/19 6:37 p.m.

Thanks to everyone that came out, that ended up going so much better than I pictured because of you guys! Nice to meet all of you guys, hear stories and plans for current and future builds.

Todd and Ian, you guys and your awesome Sawzall blades inspired me to get a pack of these things, the rest of the bathtub that used to be a race car should be gone shortly!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/23/19 7:37 p.m.

Please tell me you guys took pics 

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/23/19 9:57 p.m.
Patrick said:

Please tell me you guys took pics 

Angry took a bunch and said he’d post them here Patrick.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
3/23/19 9:58 p.m.

With the number of people (and Sawzalls!) that showed up, I knew it would be a good day.  Then, as we were just about to get started, we heard a rumble out front:

At this point the day went from good to great.  I can’t believe he didn’t get pulled over, driving it up on the monster slicks!

After drooling on *THE* spirit for a few minutes, we got straight to work.  Since I had laid claim to the chassis, I had to decide what tubes to save, where to make the cuts, etc.

Fortunately, Adrian and his British accent (worth a documented +15 IQ points) were there to provide some additional guidance...

In a matter of maybe 10 minutes we had the rear clip off and started on the front.

The only casualties were a few sawblades

And of course an old chassis that gave its life to entertain us for a day.  

Adrian found a new favorite tool, and I think he was glad the chassis was kinda sorta Ford blue...

I kept the main front rails and crossmember which I think will work for engine support in Monzora.  And I know where there’s a big pile of scrap if I need it.  And don’t ask me about the turbos, because I ain’t talking.  ;-)

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/25/19 3:09 p.m.

The spirit as a street car??

My spleen just ruptured thinking about this.....

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
3/25/19 4:04 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

The spirit as a street car??

My spleen just ruptured thinking about this.....

what's the saying about beauty and pain?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/25/19 4:41 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

The only one i can think of is about hot, crazy redheads. ...

I used a leftover piece of seat foam yesterday. Its much more comfortable than i remember. 

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/25/19 6:34 p.m.
whiskey_business said:

Thanks to everyone that came out, that ended up going so much better than I pictured because of you guys! Nice to meet all of you guys, hear stories and plans for current and future builds.

Todd and Ian, you guys and your awesome Sawzall blades inspired me to get a pack of these things, the rest of the bathtub that used to be a race car should be gone shortly!

Where did you find that big pack of goodness Eliot?  Gotta rebuild my blade collection. 

stroker
stroker UltraDork
3/25/19 8:32 p.m.
whiskey_business
whiskey_business Reader
3/25/19 9:06 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

Home Depot on Southfield and 12/13 Mile. 25 bucks!

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/26/19 9:48 a.m.
whiskey_business said:

In reply to wawazat :

Home Depot on Southfield and 12/13 Mile. 25 bucks!

I know where I'm going for lunch today! 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aXceCc6KwE43Wa7yT7TUyBj3wC1qQ5jecvXaHdfdLaQV9SzgqbmE4ZaJrV0Z4Lg1