greggearhead
greggearhead
6/25/13 11:59 a.m.

1978 IROC Race Series Camaro.

• Built By Penske, NASCAR Chassis #19 (Car #9).

• Includes Logbook

• Car was originally Silver, driven by Tom Sneva.

• Includes Original Norris Chrome wheels and additional set

• Hurst Airheart Brakes with 12” Rotors

• Ford Full Floater 9” rear Axle

• Original Drysump Tank and Differential and Trans Coolers

• Original Distributor & Mechanical Tachometer included

• Original front spoiler included

1978 was the second year that the International Race of Champions (IROC) cars were purpose-built race cars (instead of converted street cars). This car was chassis #19 of the only 15 built per year and was driven by Tom Sneva. Many were crashed or lost over the years, so this is a rare chance to get a very rare race car with lots of history, that is fully driveable and functional as-is.

Last one in restored condition went for $90,000.
Currently has incorrect engine and trans installed – 468cu.in. V8 with 11:1, Crower Roller cam, etc. Built and reliable – owned since 1971 by current owner. Also has built Turbo 400 trans –was well suited to tracks in Alaska. Same owner since 1984 – purchased from Oklhoma car collector then. Has raced around on Colorado and Alaska tracks. Hasn’t been actively raced in years, mostly track days.

Extras included (shocks, springs, etc). Race tapes and interviews with drivers on VHS! At this price, it would be a great way to go vintage racing and put the car back to original over time, and participate in the emerging NASCAR nostalgia!

$19,500

Call Terry at Seven One Nine 201-7180

greggearhead's IROC album on Photobucket

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
6/25/13 12:35 p.m.

Where was the last restored one sold at? I drove Bobby Allison's restored '77 iroc car through mecum a few years ago, and it didn't go for anywhere close to that.....it sold though. Nicely done cars, and very fun. GLWS, its not everyday you see these.

greggearhead
greggearhead New Reader
6/25/13 1:08 p.m.

Thanks - I think it was on Bring A Trailer, but can't remember now. Somewhere in the pile of notes and paperwork.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
6/25/13 1:24 p.m.

Here's the 78 that was on BAT:

http://bringatrailer.com/2007/06/09/1-of-15-original-1978-iroc-penske-camaros/

And here's an arguably more valuable one, an original 75 that was used from 75-77 (the first years of the Camaros, 74 was a 911).

http://bringatrailer.com/2010/07/22/equally-aggro-1974-penske-iroc-camaro/

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
6/25/13 1:25 p.m.

Also, how is it chassis #19 out of 15 cars? (I assume they didn't start with #1 or something?) And can you clarify how it had an "original owner since 71" but is a 78?

Thanks!

greggearhead
greggearhead New Reader
6/25/13 2:19 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Also, how is it chassis #19 out of 15 cars? (I assume they didn't start with #1 or something?) And can you clarify how it had an "original owner since 71" but is a 78? Thanks!

Sorry - wasn't very clear. Engine has been owned by 1971, by the same owner that has owned the car since 1984.

In regards to the Chassis number, as I understand it, they only built 15 per year, but there were carryover cars for some years - as your post regarding the 75 that was used from 75-77.

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
6/25/13 6:38 p.m.

The one I drove was a '77 car and chassis #14.

They were built 15 per year, and used for 5 years if they were not destroyed. After the 5 years, they were redone with new bodywork and sold off.

greggearhead
greggearhead New Reader
7/3/13 4:51 p.m.

Where and when did you drive one?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/3/13 5:41 p.m.

There's an article in the current issue of Hemming's Muscle Machines on the 74 IROC series. Apparently one of the cars was wrecked hard on a Saturday race (by Unser?) and they buried the shell at the track. It's supposedly still there...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fmJIBd5S24R3tiLhx2YK5RNye4DESduBsFiQEEGImX3lZnntkgtWX3qGvHraOtFE