1 2
dan0 (Forum Supporter)
dan0 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
9/5/22 5:49 p.m.

Going to try to make a long story somewhat short. To start I have too many vehicles and and need to thin some down. Everyday I reason and decide on different vehicles but this one was always going to be sold at some point. In February I started looking at kei trucks, wanted a Honda to match my Honda Grom and kinda wanted an AWD Attack variant. Didn't buy one that popped up and then settled on this on figuring I'd still have some fun and then find another later. Well later came quicker than I thought and two weeks later I bought another, in JAPAN. They took until July to arrive in the US. I've dragged my feet on going through my states inspection (in CT it's a basic inspection, but at only one location and no appointment just show up and wait, have to trailer vehicle to inspection) I have driven it some around my rural area.

Some details, 1996 Honda Acty SDX Truck in RWD with 112km or about 69k miles (nice). Right hand Drive as they all are with a 5 speed manual transmission. This one does NOT have A/C.  As pictures will show it's in good overall shape with some surface rust in the bed. Other than cosmetics only one issue I know of that is intermittent. The cooling fan will sometimes runs on it's own. So you'll cycle the key on, not start the vehicle, then cycle off and remove the key, fan might come on. Sometimes another key cycle stops it or sometimes it runs for 5 or 10 minutes. Likely a temperature sensor or relay.

Price $4200 - Import taxes paid and have the US Dot and EPA paperwork. 

I'll add some more pictures to the post tomorrow. It is currently on a set of VW Snowflake wheels (just fit, tiny rub over bumps), included are the stock 12" wheels but tires are worn and not DOT rated. I do also have some 13" all seasons, bought new, never used if you have or buy some 13" 4x100 wheels to put the on. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
9/5/22 10:16 p.m.

Dude. I'm not able to seriously consider this but it looks perfect as a runabout for my yard. I wish I could. Looks like a great deal. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
9/6/22 10:15 a.m.

Did you get a title ?

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
9/6/22 10:55 a.m.
Patrick said:

Did you get a title ?

Not yet. The license plate in the picture is just for appearances. My intent was to register it and then be able to sell with a CT title making it easier for the next owner but I may not now  

I have all the import paperwork but I'd be looking at spending an additional $600 between trailer it to inspection, registration, tax. Price would go up at that point then making it difficult priced against other trucks in my mind. 

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones Dork
9/6/22 11:04 a.m.

If only it was 4x4.  I'm so tempted to put one on a CC and wait for it from japan.

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
9/6/22 11:23 a.m.
Kendall_Jones said:

If only it was 4x4.  I'm so tempted to put one on a CC and wait for it from japan.

For regular driving and use the RWD has been fine.

The stock 12" tires are pretty skinny but with more "normal" sized like what's on in the picture  (185/60/14) or maybe just a little smaller for the slight rub it should do well in most conditions. It is mid engine so already has some weight in the back. If I do end up registering it and it doesn't sell by winter I'll do some testing.

I'm planning on putting a plow on the AWD one I have to plow our driveway in style. 

Transport has gone much higher since I bought mine. Before the transport was about $1200 from Japan to an east coast port, now looking at sites like beforward, shipping is over $2000. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
9/6/22 12:08 p.m.

Oh well good luck, my friend who is looking isn't comfortable with trying to get a title on someone else's paperwork

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
9/6/22 12:34 p.m.
Patrick said:

Oh well good luck, my friend who is looking isn't comfortable with trying to get a title on someone else's paperwork

From Facebook groups it doesn't seem bad. Just an additional assignment of ownership. It's still possible I'll take it through the inspection myself and register it. The other reason besides the time and money is because the majority of people are looking for AWD models so trying to keep the cost down on this. It's so hard to gauge between what dealerships and private sellers are asking for them.

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
12/3/22 12:47 p.m.

Still got this. I was back and forth on registering it and haven't yet. But I did take the other kei truck I bought through the CT inspection (it was easy) and am about to register that one. 

I may at least take THIS truck through the inspection part. And may consider going through the whole CT registration process if someone is serious about wanting the title process done and paying for it. $88 inspection fee, $177 registration, $75 translation fee (CT required for the export certificate. Even though seller provided a converted copy) and approx $75 in sales tax.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
12/3/22 12:54 p.m.

Loving the use of GTI Snowflakes.  Very cool truck.  I'd think the title would make sale a ton easier.

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
12/3/22 2:45 p.m.

Had them laying around and figured they'd be better than the old 12" tires that came with it. 

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
2/22/23 2:08 p.m.

Some updated pictures. Since getting my other truck registered I am thinking about buying the bullet and getting this one done too. At the very least in the next few weeks with some free time I'll be getting it through the CT inspection. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LPALTZ5Pz5dWu3nK6

But I also should probably have less vehicles and projects so if somebody wants this, come and get it. 

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
5/11/23 8:56 p.m.

Going to do a little bit of cleaning on this one over the weekend and push to get this sold. Taking offers under the $4200 I originally posted. 

I know the hesitation on registration but I can post all the EPA, DOT, and customs paperwork to show. I may still try to get it through the CT inspection if someone in CT might be interested in it, which would save a trip to Wethersfield. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
5/11/23 9:39 p.m.

I see Acty's and other kei trucks running around Connecticut almost daily (including today), so it can't be all that hard to get one with papers through the DMV.

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
5/11/23 11:02 p.m.

It's not that hard. $88 inspection in Wethersfield. Which was a basic check of lights, wipers, horn, and VIN.

And the export certificate has to be officially translated by a DMV approved translator, $85. 

Then take all that paperwork to the DMV. The only thing that was close for me registering the other truck was they didn't want to take my invoice as a bill of sale because it needed to be signed. But after looking at the invoice and using Google Translate there are Japanese characters at the bottom which comes out as a name. So I'd call that a signed bill of sale. I plan on emailing the DMV that to try to get an official OK for this truck. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/12/23 7:36 a.m.

Gonna regret this, but DanO; can you measure the distance between the back of the cab and the pumpkin please.

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
5/12/23 7:53 p.m.

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
5/12/23 7:54 p.m.

I can put it up on ramps and get a better measurement tomorrow.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/14/23 9:15 a.m.

No, that's fine.  Once I get home I'll measure the engine.

thank you.

nocones
nocones PowerDork
5/14/23 10:47 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

If schenanigans result in the OEM engine/trans becoming available let me know...

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
5/20/23 12:28 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

I always wanted to keep it for shenanigans myself. One season as a snowmaker at a ski resort I wanted to build it into a mini snowcat. 

So if you're in need of the engine and transmission we could potentially work out a deal as well. 

clownkiller
clownkiller Dork
5/20/23 1:20 p.m.

Get the title. It will sell in two minutes.  I might even buy it to get the rhd.

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
5/20/23 6:28 p.m.
clownkiller said:

Get the title. It will sell in two minutes.  I might even buy it to get the rhd.

Because in CT I have to register it to get a "title"  and this is what it would cost. They don't normally title over 20 years so you just use the registration when you sell. In the past they used to ask if you wanted a title to an older vehicle and it was $25 additional. 

clownkiller
clownkiller Dork
5/20/23 8:27 p.m.

Does the tag stay with the truck like California or Texas?

In Georgia you can do the title only. 1985 is the title year cut off

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
5/20/23 8:53 p.m.

No the tag doesn't stay with the vehicle in CT. New owner wherever they are would have to go to their DMV and register. A CT buyer would pay the registration cost and sales tax again (since it is changing hands). I can get a whopping $80 back for the unused portion of the registration under my name. 

Plus it's a minimum of a day off work to get it inspected in CT. Since it's an imported vehicle it can only go one place in CT and has to be trailered there. And there are no appointments for it. It's just get in line and wait. 

After COVID registration at CT DMVs went to appointments so not knowing how long exactly the inspection takes it makes it tough to do in one day. So a second day is then needed to actually get the plates. So either wait weeks out for a Saturday appointment or a little more time off work to do a weekday appointment.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W4l2CilvAZrPKrVLkA8W7LQNhZm5LjSwQTTwAgVhZlvvYMwzRerBukiKaz6aNWn0