LarsBrunkhorst
LarsBrunkhorst New Reader
9/21/21 12:57 p.m.

See the link for photos, also let me know the hiveminds thoughts on the price, I know its higher mileage but considering the parts on it, maintenance, what they seem to be currently selling for, it seems fair?

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/d/berkley-2002-bmw-m3-spd-dinan/7383447748.html

$16,500 for GRM

Craigslist copy/paste below

2002 BMW M3

Main Points:
3 Owners
NO RUST/NONE WHATSOEVER/CAR HAS NEVER TOUCHED SNOW OR SALT
Clean CarFax
Carbonschwarz Metallic over Grey
6 spd
189,000 miles
Dinan Stage 4 (Exhuast, Intake, Throttle Bodies, Tune, Carbon rear diffuser)
AFE stepped headers
UUC Double Shear Selector Rod (as well as all new shift bushings for the entire assembly)
E92 Style 260M wheels (I have stock wheels that will come with the car as well)
Bilsteins/H&R sport springs
ECS Adjustable rear control arms
Cooling system completely rebuilt
Vanos rebuilt by previous owner (for the 2nd time)
Rod Bearings done
Subframe reinforced
Diff rebuilt
Engine/Transmission/Diff bushings all replaced
Front/Rear Strut braces
Valve Cover Gasket done 2,000 miles ago (Also checked/adjusted valves)

**TPMS light is on in the picture and has been reset.
** Plastic engine cover is off in the photo, but I have it.

More Details:
I have almost all service records for the entire life of the car, if you are looking for a usable, driver quality E46 M3, this is your car. While definitely not cosmetically pristine, this car is in really great shape mechanically, and has been painstakingly well maintained and well loved throughout its entire life as a fun, nice weather commuter. This is a great example of a well taken care of vehicle that has been consistently maintained and tastefully upgraded throughout its life.

Car was originally dealer owned in New York, all Dinan work was completed with the first owner. He owned it for 10 years and avg 10k miles a year with it as his summer daily driver.

Second owner was out of Southeast Pennsylvania, again roughly 10k miles a year as a good weather commuter. He owned a shop and did the bulk of the work on the car. All the suspension, bushings,cooling system, headers, etc.

I purchased the car in Pennsylvania this spring and drove back here to Michigan. Car has been rock solid with no issues aside from the valve cover gasket needing to be changed (performed a valve adjustment too). I also added the UUC double shear selector rod as well as all new shift bushings. I have put almost 6000 trouble free miles on the car and have loved every second.

The car has higher mileage but shows well, it has what I would call typical wear and tear given its age, but nothing that affects driving/normal operating of the vehicle. There are a couple age related things that could be touched up on the car but none of them would be what I would consider a real "issue". Things like the quarter window plastic molding are starting to age and crack, there is some wear/tear on the armrest and drivers seat bolsters, etc. All of these things are what I would expect given the age and use of the car. Only actual issue is the sunroof, I have never tried to fully open it, the tilt function works fine, but I am not sure if its actually off track or if it just needs to be greased.

Feel free to give me a call/text if you any any questions, I try to be as open and honest as I can. With that in mind I WILL NOT discuss price over the phone, if you are a serious buyer than you understand the importance of actually looking at what you are purchasing.

There is always room for negotiation, however, that is best done in person.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/21/21 1:21 p.m.

Whats your phone number? I'd like to call you to discuss price. 

Just kidding. That honestly looks like a great deal, especially with the mods.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
9/21/21 1:35 p.m.

Wow. Timing couldn't be worse. Ugh. 

Good luck, I'm sure someone will snag it. 

LarsBrunkhorst
9/21/21 1:51 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Mannnnnnnnnn, I dont know if its my area or what but I just get so many calls with people that sound super serious and then want to try and negotiate price. I'm not above some bartering and talking, but at least come take a look at the car first, you know?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
9/21/21 3:21 p.m.
LarsBrunkhorst said:

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Mannnnnnnnnn, I dont know if its my area or what but I just get so many calls with people that sound super serious and then want to try and negotiate price. I'm not above some bartering and talking, but at least come take a look at the car first, you know?

I totally agree with you, however someone once explained to me that some buyers are trying to not waste (both buyer and seller) time by setting a pre-agreed price, and then going to look. If everything is as described, then they just pay. If the price wasn't going to hit their number, looking at the car in person would be a waste of everyone's time. 

Obviously many use it as a way to 'double-negotiate', which I do hate as well. 

That said, I think pre-negotiating makes sense for lower dollar stuff, like "hey I see your ad for the $100 toolbox, I'm nearby so if you'd take $75 I'll come get it in the next 30 minutes", but my overall point is that when selling anything you want the biggest pool of buyers possible. I'd try not to potentially eliminate a buyer from the pool simply because they want to negotiate at a different time in the process. 

So, if someone wants to honestly negotiate on the phone, what does it hurt? You don't have to change your bottom dollar price for them. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
9/21/21 3:47 p.m.

I won't deal with someone that wants to offer me less money before seeing the car. When I price a car, I price it well. If you want to knock money off there needs to be a specific reason that I did not already mention, and account for in the price. The people that want to negotiate on the price before looking at it aren't looking to negotiate a fair deal, they're lowballing. I simply don't deal with lowballers. 
If the car is priced at $4,000 and you can only afford $3500 either come on by or keep scrolling through the ads. When the guy gets here, maybe I'll take $3500.

iansane
iansane HalfDork
9/21/21 3:53 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

Devil's advocate here; Maybe they're just used to people listing things for way more than they'll actually take for it.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
9/21/21 4:24 p.m.
iansane said:

In reply to DrBoost :

Devil's advocate here; Maybe they're just used to people listing things for way more than they'll actually take for it.

Well yeah, Craigslist or Facebook have trained sellers to jack the price up to allow room for folks to talk you down. It's expected on both sides, which is stupid.

LarsBrunkhorst
9/28/21 11:07 a.m.

Bump to further my addiction

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
9/28/21 12:28 p.m.

Frankly, I think your asking price is a bit light, considering the other listings I've seen.  Most E46 M3s under $20k tend to be 'verts or DCT cars.  GLWS.  

LarsBrunkhorst
9/28/21 1:05 p.m.

In reply to Hoondavan :

Yeah, price has been all over the place recently. I'm not trying to gouge anyone, cars got 189k on it and it has the wear and tear you would expect for a car that was driven. Mechanically its in really great shape, cosmetically its got some bumps and bruises, but hopefully I find someone that sees the car like I did, a solid quality driver.

LarsBrunkhorst
10/13/21 8:12 a.m.

One last bumpy bump.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
10/13/21 9:40 a.m.

I can't believe this isn't sold yet. 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
10/13/21 9:58 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

I can't believe this isn't sold yet. 

Dude, same. I had successfully deleted it from my brain too. 

My wife was just telling me we should take advantage of the used market, sell her old car (my current daily) and then I can get something I actually want. I think she'd probably shoot me if I told her that thing was an M3...

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
10/13/21 10:03 a.m.

Oh man you're like 2 miles from me. I love this, wish I was in the market!!

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
10/13/21 10:14 a.m.
AxeHealey said:
I think she'd probably shoot me if I told her that thing was an M3...

I think you'll be fine! 

Only one way to find out...devil

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
10/13/21 12:47 p.m.

In reply to LarsBrunkhorst :

You looking to sell for cash only or interested in trades?

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
10/14/21 8:12 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
AxeHealey said:
I think she'd probably shoot me if I told her that thing was an M3...

I think you'll be fine! 

Only one way to find out...devil

Anyone want a '14 Mazda 6, 6spd with 103k? lol Maybe if I have it sold first that would smooth things over?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V1U3tyjHH7u01gOWHulfdbcJS756w5qQYRvXOYe1D8bxdUOdB6ce9cqtpw27ghqq