tb (minimally supportive)
tb (minimally supportive) Dork
8/25/20 11:05 a.m.

First: I am in no rush to sell this car but I also do not really need it or want it...

Second: I do not have a firm point on what it is worth so my valuation might be off? I'm just basing it on what I can find online and starting a little lower for GRM. Make offer...

Third: I have only driven this car a couple hundred miles and not inspected every inch of it. My In-laws were the second owners and they took very good care of it mechanically and used it gently. First owner was also litterally a little old lady, too!

2005 Toyota Highlander:

Black with tan cloth interior & 3rd row seats

3.3 V6, FWD w/ traction control & new tires

Well equipped with CD & cassette; cruise; roof rack & spoiler; manual seats & power windows / mirrors, tilt wheel, rear wiper, ventshade rain guards, etc....

Paint is very good and body is straight. Minor chips as normal for age with only a few marks on the bumper and one spot of very minor rust starting on drivers rear wheel arch. Minor corrosion on wheels. An afternoon with a buffer and a touch up paint pen would probably have it looking amazing.

Interior is very good without any real damage. Minor wear, above average for its age. No rips, stains or cracks. Never smoked in, never any dog hair, never had a child puke in it or food spilled. A little bit of detailing would have it looking flawless. Third row seats (probably also never used) fold flat into cargo area, original cargo cover and rubber cargo mat included along with all floor mats (with clear rubber added over top of front mats).

Mechanically it is very sound with regular maintenance. I have so info somewhere but highlights include recent brake pads and rotors, new tires and recent timing belt. At only 81k miles the engine is hardly broken in and runs flawlessly. Tires are Goodyear Assurance 225/70r16 with only 200 miles on them. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere; A/C is cold, cruise works and it eats up miles effortlessly.

I gave it a quick wash and snapped some pics of the worst spots yesterday; will continue to look it over as I drive it on occasion.

Yes, 81,741 miles! Some small aftermarket clock?

Plain but clean and intact. CD & cassette! not one, but TWO obsolete formats!

No sunroof, but very clean and functional

Very little interior wear, even on the drivers door. Could use a normal cleaning.

No rips or stains. Comfortable seats and good storage console.

After a quick wash, this is the worst wheels; all have minor corrosion/scrapes. Have Key!

A few chips and scrapes on the front end but not bad. Deer whistles in grille?

Worst spot on front bumper, scraped against something ...

Worst spot on the car, driver's rear wheel arch. Scrapes and chips with a few tiny spots of surface rust. Straight and solid but not pristine...

Rear wiper, spoiler and roof rack. ZL1 'vert not included in sale

Tinted rear glass & vent shades. Overall a nice, roomy & tall car.

I hate selling things but am not sure if I want this as an extra 4th car so... I'll do my best to answer any questions, take more pics or help out any way I can.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
8/25/20 11:50 a.m.

That's a good price for a low miles well maintained vehicle. I kinda wish it was closer.

8/25/20 12:43 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

Thanks, it was hard for me to understand at first why these retain so much value for a pedestrian vehicle. Underneath, though, it is a low mileage and well maintained Camry that will probably run errands well enough for a long, long time to come.

I probably should mention that there is a brand new, full sized spare to match the other tires w/ jack and a working lowering mechanism. I know, how exciting...

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
8/27/20 7:49 a.m.

In reply to tb (minimally supportive) :

Funny, I thought this car would be gone by now.  

Some back story...  On the past GRMer Zoom call tb mentioned that he has this Highlander and might not keep it.  I agreed that yet boring, this is a highly sought appliance.  The very definition of "reliable car."  I suggested that he keep it, even if boring.  So, fast forward and here it is listed.  On the day it went up, that night, I asked my wife, "who do we know that needs a good car?"  Someone's highschool kid?, Someone in our families?  

My wife agreed that had we not just bought her a Dodge Minivan, this would have been great for her.  We even went so far as to send pics to her sister.  The sister has a 2011 Elantra (which is a good car) but the sister always laments about wanting something bigger and more SUV-style.  However, that sister balked at being concerned that this would be too old.  My thoughts are different but I also backed off because I didn't want to convince her of a car only to later have her "blame me" later when the first thing breaks...which I don't think will.  

So, in summary...I can't believe this hasn't sold to someone here. 

A car like this should be trouble free to 150k.  That is 70k miles (w/80k on it now.)  For someone like my wife who drives just 10k per year, that would be 7 years of trouble free driving.  

8/27/20 8:31 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) :

Thanks for thinking of me; I fully realize that this isn't the exact perfect market here for a vehicle like this. It would be a good teenager car or grocery getter for someone, i think.

Mostly, I posted it here expecting to get a low offer and make someone a deal if the timing and details were convenient. It will get used occasionally since the ergonomics suit my short wife pretty well and it isn't disappointingly slow. My only real motivation to sell is that I already have a daily driver, a street able challenge car, am still shopping for a weekender just for me and tend to not hold onto anything extra in life.

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 Reader
8/27/20 10:54 a.m.

has trailer hitch? just curious.  I don't need it, but as John said, I have firsthand experience as to the reliability of the MZ V6 in this.  So I kinda want this. 

My avalon I got from my grandma (so, basically same ownership history as this) with 70k on it.  at 150k now and haven't had a single failure except for 1 o2 sensor. Granted, i treated it to new fluids and filters when I got it, and did pretty sizable replacement of suspension and brakes between jobs 3 years ago, but nothing outright failed or left me stranded.  

8/27/20 12:00 p.m.

In reply to stylngle2003 :

Does not have trailer hitch.

I've looked into that and bolt on class3 are around $150 or so with another $30 for a 4 pin plug in harness. If it is still here in October I will probably add them to tow my challenge car to Gainesville. 

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 Reader
8/27/20 4:03 p.m.

where specifically near philly is the car (truck?) located?  my wife didn't balk when i first mentioned it.... devil

8/27/20 5:00 p.m.

In reply to stylngle2003 :

Ardmore, PA 19003

I will have time to show it Saturday afternoon but otherwise this weekend is pretty busy. Almost always available during the week. Can always zoom/skype/old school talk on the phone and snap more pics if needed.

11/5/20 8:19 a.m.

Update and price drop:

We have been using this car occasionally but have really decided that it doesn't fit with our long term plans.

The check engine, vsc & traction lights came on with an O2 sensor fault. Replaced the O2 and relay but the light stayed on. Local shop gave it an emissions exemption sticker since there is not an actual problem with it. Maybe a faulty ecu or broken wire?

Just did almost 2k miles while towing almost 3k pound on the freshly installed curt receiver with a plug n play 4 pin connector (includes multi ball hitch!). Not a single hiccup; never got warm, trans never slipped, brakes were adequate. Well, the stereo volume knob occasionally went a bit wonky, but it is the right age for a new head unit anyway...

Price drop to $4k because I really don't have time to tinker with it and only use it sparingly. 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
11/7/20 12:32 a.m.

I'm somewhat local (Lansdale) to you. Let me ask around and see if anybody I know is looking for something like this. 

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) UberDork
11/7/20 7:00 a.m.

The timing on this is perfect.  I am sending you a PM

11/7/20 4:11 p.m.

Sold!

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle SuperDork
11/7/20 4:21 p.m.

That is a great appliance deal at four grand. Congrats to both. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mBhPdHnF4kTi81zuh2AfNetk5qLcNaFoMojECLTpT76TvKmwnGvcXj1Id145Kj1T