1 2 3
Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/2/19 11:12 a.m.

Hey guys,

I have a strange affinity for odd ball cars, and came across this one for sale in Baltimore MD back in Nov/Dec 2018. I struck a deal with the seller who had it for about 3 year, and got it from the original owner.  However I neglected to tell my wife that I was buying a new car, and she wasn't as excited about it as I was.  Because of the winter being long in MA I have really not had time to do much to it. Honestly I'd love to just keep it, but with space at a premium at the Mazdax605 land of misfit toys I'm going to have to move this one on.

I will get pics later.  This is the top trim LX Touring Sedan Hatchback. I think the only option it is missing is a sunroof, and I'm not sure they were even offered on the hatchback, but I don't really know.  It not the prettiest thing, but it's solid, and one color. The paint is what I believe to be Mazda K8 Tornado silver, which is a gray/black that is quite nice.  There is signs the roof was repainted at one point, some ugliness around the rear window on the hatch, and a hole in the drivers side rocker in front of the rear wheel, but isn't really visible when looking at the car from the side. It leaks a tiny bit of oil, and smokes on startup, but otherwise runs pretty good. Brakes, and clutch work fine, but the shifter is a little vague as any old FWD car from that era. A/c is equipped but non-functional. Otherwise all the other systems work it seems.

The interior is awesome in all it's 80's bordello red awesomeness. Complete with the Rad 80's digital dash that works(sometimes cranky when cold), and epic centre oscillating swing vents that became a staple of the 626 for years to come. Factory stereo is non functional, but truthfully I haven't even looked at it yet to see why. The fan speed buttons are really cool in that there is an up and down arrow that when pressed clicks the numbers in the window between them to change almost like an old flip style clock. Drivers seat has a cool retractable handle that allows for raising and lowering the seat. The passengers seat was malfunctioning when I got it and wouldn't latch the seat back so it was anchored with a ratchet strap to the rear grab handle, but I fixed that this past weekend.  It's amazing how nice the interior really is!  It has cool cubbies all over the place, and seems ahead of it's time in some way.  The rear seats fold down flat, and allows for a huge storage area with the hatchback . Even the folding privacy panels are still present in the rear, but maybe a little sun baked, and old. The switch gear is stuff you'd see in an 84/85 RX-7. Glass is all present, and un-cracked. Windows are all power, and all function as designed. 3 full sets of keys(ignition and doors are separate keys) It even has selectable suspension setting that seem to be still functional.Cruise I was told doesn't work, but I haven't tried it, nor attempted to fix it.

Carb was rebuilt by previous owner as well as brake work, and loads of other stuff. There is tons of paperwork, and spare parts(he worked at a Mazda dealer). Upon starting the engine revs kinda high on the electronic choke, and needs to be kicked down even after it seems it should be warm enough from time to time.  More investigation is needed as far as that is concerned.  The battery is tied down with a ratchet strap, and need a proper tie down which should be pretty simple, and I might even tackle this week. Engine bay is pretty good, and mostly intact.  The factory Mazda wheels might be my favorite part of the car. Picture solid Hotwheels style wheels, only in real life. They're awesome, and totally Rad!!  The car looks lowered, but it is just the factory springs that have all sagged over time. It's old. You will most definitely not see yourself driving the other way down the road.  It's unique, and odd, and Mazda sold a E36 M3 ton of them, but you never see them anymore around these parts at least.

I'm into it for a little over $2k with shipping from MD, and would love to get my money back, but I know ya'll like to haggle. Don't kill me too bad. Located in South-eastern MA. 02330 to be exact. I can aid anyone in shipping as I am well versed in that practice. Pics to follow later when I get home. Feel free to PM me or text/call seven-8-Juan-nine-1-zero-5 three-Juan-niner.

Chris

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/2/19 11:15 a.m.

Forgot to say. Willing to trade for a couple of kayaks, or a nice bicycle for a large adult. Or other odd ball stuff you might have.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/2/19 3:05 p.m.

Ironsides
Ironsides Reader
4/2/19 3:44 p.m.

Damn this is right in my backyard and right up my alley, wish I had the space to add to the collection! GLWS

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/2/19 4:57 p.m.

This car has maybe the most pretentious sounding horn ever. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
4/3/19 7:29 a.m.
Mazdax605 said:

Hey guys,

However I neglected to tell my wife that I was buying a new car, and she wasn't as excited about it as I was. 

Chris

I just had to highlight that statement.  

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/3/19 7:44 a.m.
spitfirebill said:
Mazdax605 said:

Hey guys,

However I neglected to tell my wife that I was buying a new car, and she wasn't as excited about it as I was. 

Chris

I just had to highlight that statement.  

Yeah it wasn't a smart move on my part.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Reader
4/3/19 3:38 p.m.

*Going through my head for trade fodder

**Stopping myself 

*** Remembering that at one point my mom's dream car was a Mazda 626...probably of this generation. She does have a big birthday coming up next year...

**** Stopping myself!

GLWS, I sincerely hope it sells quickly.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/4/19 11:22 a.m.
AxeHealey said:

*Going through my head for trade fodder

**Stopping myself 

*** Remembering that at one point my mom's dream car was a Mazda 626...probably of this generation. She does have a big birthday coming up next year...

**** Stopping myself!

GLWS, I sincerely hope it sells quickly.

For such a noble cause as to making a mom happy I'm more than willing to make a deal.

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
4/4/19 11:30 a.m.

that is VERY cool. If I were in need of a DD that would likely be mine!

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
4/4/19 11:40 a.m.

I love Mazda wheels of that era.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/4/19 11:41 a.m.

not to poop on this thread, but https://stcloud.craigslist.org/cto/d/1979-mazda-626-rwd-2dr/6849164750.html  

Old Mazda's are coming out of the woodwork..

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/4/19 2:20 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

not to poop on this thread, but https://stcloud.craigslist.org/cto/d/1979-mazda-626-rwd-2dr/6849164750.html  

Old Mazda's are coming out of the woodwork..

No title or pics, means it should be a hard sell, but I don't know MN laws. I have provided pics, and have a title. It's not as cool as a RWD 626, but it's cool.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
4/4/19 2:24 p.m.

I drove one of those when they first came out; it was a nice car in its time.  The sedan-shaped hatchback was a unique feature back then.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
4/4/19 3:16 p.m.

I found one of those for a coworker about 20 years ago, the exact same car.

With a flickering oil light and smoking tailpipe he got it for $300.  After removing several quarts of oil and replacing the sending unit he drove it for years with no issues.

He loved that car.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/4/19 3:55 p.m.
akylekoz said:

I found one of those for a coworker about 20 years ago, the exact same car.

With a flickering oil light and smoking tailpipe he got it for $300.  After removing several quarts of oil and replacing the sending unit he drove it for years with no issues.

He loved that car.

He can relive those glory days.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/4/19 5:40 p.m.

Spent some time with the 626 this afternoon. It really is a solid car that needs some tlc. It is really smokey upon starting, but settles down after a short spell. The seller had warned me that the digital temp and fuel gauges were finicky in the cold. I hadn't been able to get them working when it arrived in December, but they're working now. The tach and speedo were working upon arrival, but not the other two. Temp seems to be the common denominator. All the lights work. The dome light is a little funky with the door switches, but it could be from lack of use. Front and rear wipers work, squirter too. Hvac fan works. The drivers seat has lots of cool adjustments for a manual seat. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/5/19 6:21 p.m.

Anyone interested? 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/8/19 6:01 a.m.

Bump for Monday. Definitely motivated to move this along. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/8/19 9:18 a.m.

if you can hold on to it.. take it to a radwood event.. it'll sell easy.  or post to the radwood facebook group... always selling something like this.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/262402381232809

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/8/19 9:25 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

if you can hold on to it.. take it to a radwood event.. it'll sell easy.  or post to the radwood facebook group... always selling something like this.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/262402381232809

It's posted on the Radwood page 

XLR99
XLR99 Dork
4/8/19 4:57 p.m.

Blast from the past!  My dad bought one new in '83; he ended up buying from a dealer in OH to get the blue/blue combination,  No clue why he's wearing a suit...

mazda
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/8/19 5:13 p.m.

I got several no's when I showed it to swmbo 2.0. She says I can only have two. The argument that I was allowed 5 by the last swmbo didnt go as anticipated. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/8/19 9:34 p.m.
XLR99 said:

Blast from the past!  My dad bought one new in '83; he ended up buying from a dealer in OH to get the blue/blue combination,  No clue why he's wearing a suit...

mazda

He's wearing a suit because he's an awesome dad with a bad ass Mazda ! 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
4/9/19 7:36 a.m.

Would you think less of me if I told you I liked the early Camry five doors?  Even wanted one in diesel. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sPirnS6Ab8ubojLTbUOBgZ1n773atjemn381eJji06Dh9G032wUtG3pQnrH20lQd