1 2
pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
5/4/20 7:21 p.m.

In 2007 Thom Taylor wrote this article in Popular Hot Rodding.  I set my mind that one day I would build one.

In 2014 a friend an I parted out an aborted 1999 S10 LSX swap project. We ended up selling off everything besides the cab, bed, and frame.  That left me with everything I needed to start my project.

So what is this?  The bed and cab are 11" more narrow.  The cab is 6" shorter.  The bed is 18" shorter.  The firewall is about 12" back from stock.  A ford mod motor and AOD transmission from a 2004 Grand Marquis sit ~16" back and 4" lower from the location of the iron duke that was originally in the truck.  I have the firewall, floors, and transmission tunnel mostly done.

Chassis is front disc, rear drum brakes.  I believe the rear to be a 7.75" with 4.10 gears.  I have not confirmed this.

VIN tag is still on the S10 cab.  I have a title, but it is not in my name.  

After several years of chipping away at the project I am throwing in the towel.  I am not able to commit the time that it needs.

I have a lot more pictures that I'll add tomorrow (on another computer).  Happy to answer any questions about it.

Includes all of the S10 parts I have (fuel tank, fuel lines, body harness, tail lights, tail gate, drive shaft) and all of the Grand Marquis parts I have (wiring, radiator, cooling fan).

Located in Richmond, VA.  Will trade for a case of beer.  I do not have the means to deliver it.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) UltimaDork
5/4/20 8:12 p.m.

That looks like a great start to a Challenge build.  

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) UltimaDork
5/4/20 8:49 p.m.

Mind if I ask some questions?  I see the steering on top of the engine.  Does it have a reasonable path to the cab?  What was the plan for the gas pedal?  What's the measurement from the forward most part of the firewall to the rear of the cab?  How wide is the seat area between the trans tunnel and the door side of the cab at the back?

03Panther
03Panther Reader
5/5/20 2:13 a.m.

I've been visiting my folks in Chester off and on since I left in early 80's. What part of Richmond area are you in. If I can work it out (i'm way too optimistic, sometimes!) I have a frend near Hopewell that could hold it till my next visit...

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
5/5/20 5:53 a.m.

RE:  Stampie's questions

Q:  Mind if I ask some questions? 

A:  Not at all!

Q:  I see the steering on top of the engine.  Does it have a reasonable path to the cab? 

A:  I think it's fair to call it reasonable.  Between the S10 and Grand Marquis steering columns there are enough u-joints, but not enough shaft length (...).

Q:  What was the plan for the gas pedal? 

A:  I have a simple GM gas pedal and cables from either car.  I was going to mount the pedal to the firewall via some TBD bracket.Q:

Q:  What's the measurement from the forward most part of the firewall to the rear of the cab? 

A:  52"

Q:  How wide is the seat area between the trans tunnel and the door side of the cab at the back?

A:  18".  If you're a chubby chaser, or have a waist much larger than 38", this will be an extremely tight fit.  One thing I had considered here was to use a bench seat. 

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
5/5/20 5:55 a.m.
03Panther said:

I've been visiting my folks in Chester off and on since I left in early 80's. What part of Richmond area are you in. If I can work it out (i'm way too optimistic, sometimes!) I have a frend near Hopewell that could hold it till my next visit...

I'm on the south side of the river.  45 minute ride from Hopewell.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) UltimaDork
5/5/20 9:07 a.m.

A few times a year something comes up for sale that I say man I should build that for the Challenge.  I then decide that no I already have enough Challenge fodder and pass.  This will be one of those for this year.

03Panther
03Panther Reader
5/5/20 8:15 p.m.

Thinkin' bout South Side, made me look up some Robbin Thompson songs! I went to last 3 years of HS at the (then) brand new L. C. Bird HS.  

I assume the frame and suspension are still all stock S10? And rear is still stock width? Do you have any side view pictures?

I'm chubby enough on my own to not be interested in chasing any; besides, I'm getting to the point I'd be afraid I'd catch 'em. I'm at least still in 38 waist, but only cause I had to switch from 32 inseam to 30's (other of us keg belly folks understand)

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/6/20 12:47 a.m.

Dang. I didn't see which section this was posted in, and thought it was the start of an epic build thread. sad

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/6/20 5:57 a.m.

In reply to bgkast (Forum Supporter) :

Give it a couple days & it will be.

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
5/6/20 6:07 a.m.

03Panther said:

Thinkin' bout South Side, made me look up some Robbin Thompson songs! I went to last 3 years of HS at the (then) brand new L. C. Bird HS.  

I assume the frame and suspension are still all stock S10? And rear is still stock width? Do you have any side view pictures?

I'm chubby enough on my own to not be interested in chasing any; besides, I'm getting to the point I'd be afraid I'd catch 'em. I'm at least still in 38 waist, but only cause I had to switch from 32 inseam to 30's (other of us keg belly folks understand)

Suspension is stock. Previous owner said it had lowering springs on the rear; not sure if that’s true. 

Modification to the frame includes trans/engine mounts/crossmember and eliminating the stock cab mounts. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/6/20 10:25 a.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

A few times a year something comes up for sale that I say man I should build that for the Challenge.  I then decide that no I already have enough Challenge fodder and pass.  This will be one of those for this year.

Trooof.

For anyone with a non-production body that they want to challenge, this is a good option. The axle is suspect, but with light weight it should be fine, and the ratio will make it a rocket. Not saying the small S10 wouldn't be an awesome body as well.

Is the wheelbase stock s10? Whats the front and rear track width? (center tire to center tire) Does this happen to be one of the aluminum block 4v mod motors?

Good thing I don't live near VA

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
5/6/20 1:31 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Wheelbase is stock S10.

The 7.75 axle isn't known for being strong, but 8.8" fords can be had cheaply all day long (with disc brakes).  Also, the Grand Marquis driveshaft would fit nicely.

I will measure the track width tonight.

Motor is 2v.  Not sure of the metallurgy, but I will check (guessing iron).

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
5/6/20 3:55 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Is the wheelbase stock s10? Whats the front and rear track width? (center tire to center tire) 

Track is 54.5” front and rear. 

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
5/7/20 10:58 a.m.

Updated with new price.  I'm having this hauled away for scrap next week if I don't find any takers.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/7/20 11:43 a.m.

oh my gosh. you're killing me. 800 miles and 12 hours one way to give you a case of beer...

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) UltimaDork
5/7/20 12:02 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

I'll supply the case of beer if you're worried about it.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) UltimaDork
5/7/20 2:32 p.m.

In reply to pushrod36 :

Is this a case of you need it gone by next week or you just want to be emotionally divorced from it but might be able to hold onto it for a bit?

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
5/7/20 3:06 p.m.

I want it gone. I can hold on to it, but it will be rolled out of the shop. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) UltimaDork
5/7/20 3:32 p.m.

Can you measure it for Robbie and see if it'll fit on a 12 foot trailer?

gumby
gumby HalfDork
5/7/20 4:20 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

Can you measure it for Robbie and see if it'll fit on a 12 foot trailer?

laughlaughlaugh

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
5/7/20 4:20 p.m.

62” wide, 170” long

111” wheelbase

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) UltimaDork
5/7/20 4:51 p.m.

In reply to pushrod36 :

All the parts for it fit inside that envelope?  How close is the engine to running?  Asking for Robbie you know.

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
5/7/20 5:17 p.m.

I the grand marquis home and then pulled the engine out.  I have not done anything to try and get it going in this chassis other than set the engine in place. 

Yes, all parts fit in that envelope. 

The bed is not bolted to the frame  

All of the parts must go.

03Panther
03Panther Reader
5/7/20 6:12 p.m.

In reply to pushrod36 :

Will trade for a case of beer

What Flavor? If I can reach my friend in Hopewell, we can make that happen. Wont have it to this years challenge, but might pull off next!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IW9Pm9RaelSbSGgJPotl5JGHtvIbpHCxk4XO1LOPtDFnUgW7noTFbOP47t5DElVa