Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/11/20 6:13 p.m.

Tight but it can be done

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
10/11/20 9:06 p.m.

Current tires are 205/215 junk.

GRM prime is in motion.  Just rolled them out from behind the barn.  I'll give them a better look tomorrow to make sure they're good to go and drop them with Patrick so he can get them to Gumby.  

My wife couldn't be more excited that things are leaving thanks to GRM.

"Just don't bring anything back from Patrick's with you"

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
10/11/20 9:19 p.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

Doesn't she know that's a lost cause?

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
10/11/20 9:31 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Patrick's text may have mentioned some Merc wheels.  I'll leave those in the back of the burban until after dark and sneak them into the barn.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UltraDork
10/11/20 10:05 p.m.

The really funny part is I'm bringing patrick some VW wheels from ut.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/11/20 10:15 p.m.

If this gigantic group effort doesn't at least get mentioned in print, I will be disappointed.  Its pretty much GRM, personified. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/11/20 10:26 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

At the very least, you'll see my team name in print. 

You know what it is. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
10/11/20 11:06 p.m.

In honor of this and other recent activity, I hereby present:

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
10/11/20 11:39 p.m.

I'm just happy you decided to go despite everything that happened with the funderbird.  After all that work I can't imagine the punch to the gut it was coming to the realization that you couldn't take it to the challenge.  Then to have the father/son trip cancelled, I understand why it's tough to go on with the trip.  I wish I could come split expenses with you, but this year just isn't right for me and my family.

Last year was my first challenge.  I wouldn't have been there if it wasn't for the prodding of Patrick and the assistance of John Welsh.  Hell, 6 months before I had a hard time understanding why people spent a year (plus) building a car and then drove across the country for an auto-x and drag race, I can hardly be bothered to drive 30 minutes.  I did love the innovative cars though.

I didn't take a challenge car last year, but it didn't make it any less fun.  Once you go you realize the challenge is about so much more than an auto-x and drag race.  The challenge is about the GRM community making sure everyone is getting in on the fun of racing.  So since I can't make it to the big show this year, this is my way of contributing to your fun.  

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/12/20 12:00 a.m.

Dad still may come. I asked for a final answer by Tuesday morning. Alternate plan was wife coming and we use it as a bit of an early anniversary since our usual Disney trip is out this year, but she can't make it since we don't feel right asking anyone to watch the kids and dog for ten days. I have a good buddy I'll ask to come if dad doesn't, as his brother is my Atlanta crash spot. Cool dude, and bonafide car nut, but that's pretty last minute for a trip like this. 

Unless something drastic happens, I'll be there. I'll be slow, and my car isn't particularly interesting even if it is distinctly fitting in this years Radwood theme, but it'll be one hell of a story. And I had a plan for a parking lot wrap job, and it'll work just as well on this car, maybe better. So who knows, maybe I'll get a decent concourse score. 

I know this thread took a turn, but thanks, Hobiercr, for getting it started. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
10/13/20 1:19 a.m.

I'm 2.5 hours from Atlanta and may be able to help somehow.  Post a wishlist of parts you'dike to have but no hope of getting on your own.  Even if its trade stuff to get what you need.  I have 4 Miata Daisys with old (date code 2017 i think) RA1s that have never been on pavement that I have zero use for.  I was hoping I could get 5 or 10 bucks a piece scrap value after I pull the tires off, which will cost me 10 bucks worth of gas and probably 10 more for beer so I may as well give them to you if you can do something with them.  4x100, 6inch wide I think, 14" diameter 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
10/16/20 11:22 p.m.

https://columbusga.craigslist.org/wto/d/manchester-mustang-pony-wheel/7208103134.html

NMNA, but they are not too far from either JustJim, or me, or many folks in Atl. area.

My eyes are not good enough to find a size on them, but the tread looks usable, if they are not old and hard as a rock.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
10/17/20 12:45 a.m.

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/wto/d/starke-4-lug-rims/7202613353.html

Im looking for some 5 lug rims for my Merc. , but seeing a few ads for 4 lug.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
10/17/20 1:31 a.m.
barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
10/25/20 3:43 p.m.

Just gonna bump this and say thanks to everyone who helped, offered to help, sent good vibes, sacrificed a small animal, or even just read along. 

It was a hell of a thing.

If anyone is ever out west and needs a hand, a ride, a meal, or anything, don't hesitate to reach out. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
10/25/20 4:34 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

I've been thinking that a good body from the southwest would probably be my best bet for a challenge car.  I'll start looking when I can afford to dedicate the time to it appropriately.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
10/25/20 4:52 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

You're a Ford guy.  Buy Shaun's Mustang.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
10/25/20 4:55 p.m.

Not quite what I want to do for a challenge car, besides I think he kind of re-fell into love with it over this trip.  At least, from some of the way he was talking about it.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
10/25/20 5:05 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I thought about talking to him about buying it then I was like E36 M3 the price will probably go up because 1) first Challenge car and 2) he'd have to buy plane tickets home.

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/25/20 5:53 p.m.

At least for right now you are correct. The price would be a little inflated. Maybe more than a little. im seriously trying to figure out if I can bring it back next year. Maybe I'll be tired of it by then...

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/25/20 6:07 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Prices seem to be a little high in my area, but keep an eye on Las Vegas and Phoenix. I'll help in any way I can. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
10/25/20 6:40 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

Maybe I'll be tired of it by then...

If you start attending autocross events I doubt you will be

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
10/25/20 6:41 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

They're high everywhere right now.  Everyone wants a project.  6 months after a vaccine comes out and everything goes back to normal will be a frigging terrific time to buy a project.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
10/25/20 6:56 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

At least for right now you are correct. The price would be a little inflated. Maybe more than a little. im seriously trying to figure out if I can bring it back next year. Maybe I'll be tired of it by then...

+T

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1AFvcj5qvnNBSnPLBPWCTyWTm0eCMKu0bFI5juxySo728Ba8mDVrrisLvefJdaY6