robotic
robotic New Reader
6/22/21 10:48 p.m.

Listing my 1988 MX6 GT. I've kept a lot of stuff that has been taken off the car, and the 3 or 4 boxes of parts on my shelf will be included with the sale. Located in south Florida.

It runs and drives, but has been sitting a while so a long trip is definitely a no-go. BBS wheels shown would be extra, as would a new Mfactory LSD and spare transmission if the buyer is interested.

Car has no a/c . The 'tune' on the ecu was just my best attempt at an initial safe tune so I could drive on the street reliably and bring it to the dyno to have a pro do it. Never got that far though.

Body: 

• has rust, you can scroll down for the pictures. I consider it bad by Florida standards, so I took pictures of all the areas I can access where it is visible. Small perforation in the driver's shock tower and behind the driver's seat. The left and right trunk floors you can see for yourself. Both A pillars have rust.
  • No sunroof, which is pretty rare for a GT model in the US
  • hood and spoiler came off of other cars prior to my ownership, so they are different shades of red
  • Erebuni body kit that needs some cleaning up. Missing the rear bar. 

Interior:

• Clean overall. Has a pretty cool and rare digital dash that does function with the MS2, but needs a few diodes wired in to smooth out the tach signal

Engine:

• Japanese market F8-DOHC engine. Almost identical to the FE3 engine, it has a shorter stroke making it a 1.8 liter. As a result it is very smooth and revs very nicely to 8000rpm with the compcams Honda B18 valvesprings that are a direct drop-in. It has a set of Fidanza adjustable cam gears and a fidanza flywheel 
  • full 3" turbo-back exhaust made by VRS exhaust in Miami
  • MHI Evo3 16G turbo with a Punishment Racing 02 housing with Tial wastegate
  • custom exhaust manifold
  • EVO8 front mount intercooler

Transmission:

• stock H-type 
  • low mileage Exedy clutch

ECU/Ignition/Fuel

• Prebuilt MS2 (from diyautotune) with a 2.5bar map sensor and a diyautotune relay board
  • Innovate LM1 wideband
  • EDIS-4 ignition
  • 550cc/min rx7 injectors and Bosch 044 in-tank fuel pump. The fuel pump just barely fits, and if I were to do it again I would either put a 1/4" or 1/2" spacer to give it more clearance in the bottom of the tank and allow the sender to seal and the float to function properly. 

Suspension:

• Polyurethane bushings for all rear links
  • ground control coilovers with Koni red dampers
  • Addco front and rear swaybars
  • 'Dutch' front strut tower bar from the good old days on mx6.com

Brakes:

• rotors were replaced with Brembo blanks about 10 years ago, so there is plenty of material but they will need to be resurfaced
  • Goodridge stainless steel brake lines
  • 2nd gen master cylinder

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
6/23/21 6:29 a.m.

Can I polish your car?

Slippery
Slippery UberDork
6/23/21 9:00 a.m.

I have known the seller for over 20 years. The car is very well represented and it is FAST.

Longtime Mazda owner that has gone soft and bought himself a Honda Fit lol. 

Slippery
Slippery UberDork
6/23/21 9:02 a.m.
akylekoz said:

Can I polish your car?

Mazda red and the Florida sun mean that by the time you finish polishing it you have to start over.

robotic
robotic New Reader
6/23/21 11:47 a.m.
akylekoz said:

Can I polish your car?

I'd take you up on the offer but that would easily double the value of the car. I'd have to list it on Hemmings or BAT at that point

robotic
robotic New Reader
6/23/21 11:53 a.m.
Slippery said:

I have known the seller for over 20 years. The car is very well represented and it is FAST.

I seem to remember embarrassing a red M3 a few years ago

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
6/23/21 11:58 a.m.
Slippery said:
akylekoz said:

Can I polish your car?

Mazda red and the Florida sun mean that by the time you finish polishing it you have to start over.

Kind of like a good snow storm here.

I would love to have this car by the way.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/23/21 4:04 p.m.

Oh man.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
6/24/21 8:02 a.m.

I'm glad Florida is no where near Minnesota. 

This is really cool. Good luck with the sale! 

calteg
calteg Dork
6/24/21 8:50 a.m.

I know the FE3 could swallow rediculous amounts of boost. How does the F8 compare?

robotic
robotic New Reader
6/24/21 12:18 p.m.
calteg said:

I know the FE3 could swallow rediculous amounts of boost. How does the F8 compare?

There aren't too many people out there pushing it compared to the FE3, but this one handled the occasional 25 psi boost creep I was getting before I ported and removed the internal wastegate and added the new O2 housing. 

The F8 has the same head and block just with different cams, rods, crank. This engine has the FE3 cams, so the top end is identical. 

FordProbeGTGuy
FordProbeGTGuy
6/24/21 2:41 p.m.

Location?

Slippery
Slippery UberDork
6/24/21 2:55 p.m.
FordProbeGTGuy said:

West Palm Beach, Florida 

Slippery
Slippery UberDork
6/24/21 2:55 p.m.
robotic said:
Slippery said:

I seem to remember embarrassing a red M3 a few years ago

I probably had the AC on, wink wink. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
6/25/21 3:46 a.m.

bump for canoe eradication

good luck with sale!

FordProbeGTGuy
FordProbeGTGuy New Reader
9/3/21 9:27 p.m.

Still available?

Turbotalon1g
Turbotalon1g
9/3/21 10:39 p.m.

what a hoot, these things were built like tanks for the lower trim models. Damn rust. (MN resident)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a1k90V2EmXDms6Be1wulARA84WAS0CLoN8Oxjl9BCSyFTOQwPFX1BmMp6CqzM8qr