OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
11/22/22 11:18 p.m.

So fun to drive but you wouldn't want your friends to see you in it. 

https://ventura.craigslist.org/ctd/7560092426.html

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/23/22 11:44 a.m.

I remember stopping at the dealer when the  PT's came out and seeing a market adjustment sticker on the first one they had.  

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/23/22 12:23 p.m.

For some reason when I see that picture my mind goes to wondering if you could make it look more like this and then add AWD from an evo? 

wae
wae PowerDork
11/23/22 12:25 p.m.

The engine bay might be a little tight, but I can't really find that much to hate about those cars.  Especially that one - I bet it goes like stink and it looks pretty good, too.  Kind of like the PTGT before the PTGT!  When those first came out they couldn't keep them on the lot.  I remember that a sales rep flew in to town and took us to lunch and he had, as a rental, the first PT that I had actually seen in person.  I wasn't as much of a gearhead at the time, but I know that he was letting all the folks in the office take it out for a quick drive and it was kind of a big deal.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/23/22 12:29 p.m.

Why supercharged? I thought you could buy these turbo from the factory, basically an ugly srt4.

But yes, I have dreamed of ute conversions and/or removing the fenders to go for a modern hot rod look. 

nocones
nocones PowerDork
11/23/22 12:36 p.m.

I could easily see a PT cruiser modified** to look like an LMP car.   And the fact that I put those things together scares me. 

**Understand I mean ME levels of modified.  Not like, ooh lets ad some fender flares.  Sectioned bodies and tube frames would be required.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
11/23/22 1:15 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Why supercharged? I thought you could buy these turbo from the factory, basically an ugly srt4.

Imagine it is the year 2000, you've just turned 50 and bought a new PT cruiser, the GT won't be out for another 2 years, and in your mind a blower is the ultimate hot rod upgrade.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
11/23/22 1:43 p.m.

I think this pic from the ad needs to be emphasized here, lol.

It's probably really a riot to drive

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
11/23/22 2:11 p.m.

I feel like a lot of these fwd cars would actually be legit classics if they were rwd. Like late 90's focus. Celiac gt from same time period. This- would it be awesome to have that 2.4 turbo turning the rear wheels?

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/23/22 2:16 p.m.

As far as PT cruisers go, that one is pretty good looking. 

wae
wae PowerDork
11/23/22 3:53 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

Hmm...  That...  That is a little more grille than I think I'm comfortable with.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
11/23/22 5:43 p.m.

I love it. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/23/22 6:12 p.m.
wae said:
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

Hmm...  That...  That is a little more grille than I think I'm comfortable with.

I have bad news for you about trucks and German cars. This Cruiser was ahead of its time.

wae
wae PowerDork
11/23/22 6:54 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I wish you weren't so damned right.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
11/28/22 2:44 p.m.
wae said:
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

Don't look at new trucks. Or Japanese cars for that matter. This one is downright dubdued LOL. 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
11/29/22 11:02 p.m.

That's the best looking PT I've ever seen. If it runs good and is sorted well that seems like a pretty good price. What  can you buy these days for 7k with only 50 thousand miles on it? I wonder if you can get a LSD for that trans...

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
11/29/22 11:27 p.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) :

Modern Performance sells (or sold at one point) a lsd for the 5 speed in the non turbo PT Cruiser/Neons.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I8AbIBoTFf6qZgIGPyO6XZquThXGEEwnTXtgsylGGNqdaPdeReQO0hD8seY5pP2j