OjaiM5
OjaiM5 New Reader
7/10/19 6:20 p.m.

I rode past this today on my bike. What a deal! can you imagine what you could do in the 2000 challenge with this!?!?! So tempting

and it's OBO! Automatic car with no engine. Located in Ojai, CA east of Ventura. I don't think there are many west coasters on here.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
7/10/19 6:27 p.m.

Why does this have to be so far away????  That's a great color too.

This would make a killer challenge car.  

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
7/10/19 6:33 p.m.

If that were closer, I'd be on my way....

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 New Reader
7/10/19 6:49 p.m.

I was thinking I would be funny to swap something into it that was NOT an LS. A Jag engine, ecoboost v6, Diesel 4cyl? It would be opposite day!

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
7/10/19 7:03 p.m.
OjaiM5 said:

I was thinking I would be funny to swap something into it that was NOT an LS. A Jag engine, ecoboost v6, Diesel 4cyl? It would be opposite day!

I like the way you think!

BBC

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
7/10/19 7:25 p.m.
OjaiM5 said:

I have a "challenge free" LT1 id swap in... laugh

slowbird
slowbird Reader
7/10/19 7:34 p.m.

Two V4 engines.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
7/10/19 8:13 p.m.

Forget the Challenge, drop in an entire FWD V6 front subframe(non-GM) and troll the local Corvette meets. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
7/10/19 8:20 p.m.

I read this as establishing C5 suspension FMV at somewhere around $350.

cdeforrest
cdeforrest Reader
7/10/19 9:12 p.m.

Close enough for me but has all the things I don't want in a C5:

-autotragic

-no LS

- a body

sigh, back to Copart..

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/10/19 9:14 p.m.

That’s probably a $4500 part out if you have time.  

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
7/10/19 10:01 p.m.

Showed SWMBO

"700?!?!  For a c5?  What's wrong with it?  Is that the same dark green as your old sts?"

"Same-ish color, no engine"

"Do you have an engine for it?"

"Kinda... It's in California..."

"How much to get it home?"

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
7/11/19 6:43 a.m.
Dead_Sled said:

Showed SWMBO

"700?!?!  For a c5?  What's wrong with it?  Is that the same dark green as your old sts?"

"Same-ish color, no engine"

"Do you have an engine for it?"

"Kinda... It's in California..."

"How much to get it home?"

she's definitely a keeper!

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/11/19 5:15 p.m.

me want

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 New Reader
7/11/19 7:33 p.m.

I love "finding" a car. Roadside sales, Talking to people, ect. Craigslist / ebay has taking some of the fun out of the hunt and probably added some cost to cars.

When I was a kid I would buy the Recycler paper and look at all the ads. found my first xr75 honda for $175. There was some great stuff! Then it was the autotrader paper that would come out on Fridays.  Also, there was a dirt lot that people would park all kinds of neat cars. A fun pastime for my father and I

It really felt like a hunt. I love that this guy has a wood sign and a low price.

Oh, and back in the day Hemmins motor news was a real treat. Hours of obsessing over ads. 

P3PPY
P3PPY Reader
7/11/19 8:57 p.m.

In KC it was the thrifty nickel. Kids these days (there I said it) have no idea how much of a HASSLE it was to buy or sell a used car

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
7/11/19 9:03 p.m.
P3PPY said:

In KC it was the thrifty nickel. Kids these days (there I said it) have no idea how much of a HASSLE it was to buy or sell a used car

Northern Indiana had the Peddler's Post.

cdeforrest
cdeforrest Reader
7/11/19 9:18 p.m.

Easy-ad in central California. Or just driving around in bad neighborhoods looking for beaters. It's amazing how many cars I found that way. More amazing how many cars I got paid to take away or traded for a six pack. Granted, I was after Fiats and Vegas. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B31Qy3HPGavJ20CODO5prFB2RUIU4vMAz15NIDmODKdsU36a2jE2taY0plIjcmVx