Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
5/6/21 12:37 a.m.
03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/6/21 12:55 a.m.

I would love a Spirit, i think they were called. The wagon version. A frind in VA towed his bass boat all over the Peninsula with his, back when trucks had less comfort than today. Never found a ramp that gave him any trouble. Loved his smoother ride and creacher comforts.

I always had "evel" thoughts of a 4X4 Gremlin, at the time

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/6/21 12:56 a.m.

Did they have a full frame, or a beefed up uni body?

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
5/6/21 9:06 a.m.

They are unibody, and the subframes will rot out. Especially under the battery tray.

Spirits only came in two versions, a fastback looking one like my 'Ugly American"

...and one that was REALLY close to the gremlin that preceded it-

The 2wd wagon was the Concord, 

...which was preceded by the Hornet Sportabout wagon.  (which all of these "small body" AMCs are based on.

If you are talking about the AWD AMC wagon, then that was just called the Eagle wagon.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/6/21 8:10 p.m.

In reply to Cooter :

Fantastic pictorial explanation! Well done.

The Eagle was the one that he had. Could not remember the name. His looked just like the concord you showed - and almost as clean. His was still 100% stock, back in the late 80's when he was towing with it.

I take it the first pictures is one of your cars? whats the driveline in that one? Nice piece of Americana. Any of the others yours, also?

Since I was an odd enough kid to actually like the looks of the Gremlin when it cam out, I still prefer it to the fastback; but if I'm honest with myself, the fastback is the better looking body! If I've ever seen a Sprit like the blue one, I prolly just assumed it was a Gremlin. Is it the same size, or do the minor changes just make it look a bit biger?

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
5/6/21 8:23 p.m.

The sedans are cool but man.....that's rough

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/13/21 8:50 p.m.

Anyone want some inspiration?

This topic made me think of this car.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kXgzJVvuaNwJBRzAXnamqEusFv1X55vzKjWd9i7hikt2GuzZCBQPEe36BNnhLQ2b