elhartspeedshop
elhartspeedshop New Reader
6/8/20 1:51 p.m.

I dream of the ski bum truck, but my budget is much more van down by the river. 

Anyone know much about these? Once again turn to the wealth of learning from others questionable decisions that is Grassroots Motorsports Forums.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2649365815329322/

Other than needing insulation and some snow tires, it should get me skiing at or near most resorts?  Im trying to avoid issues with single digit mpg's and parking typically associated with larger motorhomes.   

Should have the 12v VR6, unlike earlier models with a 5 cyl or later models with a 24v VR6. 

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
6/8/20 2:28 p.m.

When I ski bummed in Vail, I ran a Bronco II 4X4 with studded snow tires, sleeping bags, snow shovels and food in the back. Before that it was a rusty, beat up Subaru 4X4 wagon. If I had more money I would have gone for a 4X4 van or a 4X4 pickup with a shell or a small camper. That's what the dogsled racers I knew were driving.  I take it this is the front wheel drive one? 

I would want four wheel drive and more ground clearance myself, but I was going on dirt roads in snowstorms. You might be OK on highways and ski resort parking lots. Most ski resorts have parking for buses. I would hate to dig something like that out of the snow though.  

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/8/20 3:57 p.m.

The VW Van of that era was way underpowered for hauling people, adding an RV to the GVWR would scare the heck out of me. How will you drive up the pass to the ski resort?

I can't imagine anything scarier than mixing a RV with a VW. It's like the worst of all the worlds. 

6/8/20 4:03 p.m.

For me, I'd look at conversion vans.

Chebby V8, tons of room inside for activities, cheap. RWD, but there are AWD unicorns out there from Chevy, but they tend to be newer.

6/8/20 4:05 p.m.

$1K

6/8/20 4:06 p.m.

$10K, but AWD and has the racks on the roof for skis already. Privacy, and you get to outfit it however you want.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
6/8/20 4:12 p.m.

Astro AWD conversion van

Or you could roll your own.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) UltimaDork
6/8/20 4:18 p.m.

My mom has bought a couple of Roadtreks in the $5-$10k range.  I would personally get the GM version.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
6/8/20 4:21 p.m.

I like the idea of a raised AWD Astro Van set up as a camper. 

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
6/8/20 4:31 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

A VW Westphalia Syncro would be the perfect ski bum transporter, except that they are rarer than hens teeth and stoopid expensive. Swap an Audi or Subaru engine for more power driving up passes.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/8/20 5:46 p.m.

I know the Rialtas have a cult following, and every time I got out west, I tend to see a ton of them at national parks. 

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/8/20 9:44 p.m.
Toyman01 (Generally Supportive Dude) said:

I can't imagine anything scarier than mixing a RV with a VW. It's like the worst of all the worlds. 

I may have one for you that's worse. How about mixing an RV with a Corvair. May I present the Ultra Van.

elhartspeedshop
6/9/20 10:37 a.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

The VW Van of that era was way underpowered for hauling people, adding an RV to the GVWR would scare the heck out of me. How will you drive up the pass to the ski resort?

My thoughts exactly.  Putting the 5cyl (110 hp) in one seems like a dangerous decision... 

I at least would get a VR6 which made 138 or 200 hp.

elhartspeedshop
6/9/20 10:39 a.m.
Snowdoggie said:

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

A VW Westphalia Syncro would be the perfect ski bum transporter, except that they are rarer than hens teeth and stoopid expensive. Swap an Audi or Subaru engine for more power driving up passes.

Agreed! I was hoping the Rialta would be a cheaper roomier version (although not 4x4)... 

elhartspeedshop
6/9/20 10:39 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

I know the Rialtas have a cult following, and every time I got out west, I tend to see a ton of them at national parks. 

So they can make it up hills then right?!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/9/20 10:46 a.m.
elhartspeedshop said:
eastsideTim said:

Yup - just maybe not very fast laugh  I suspect, since they have a following, there’s a good knowledge base for repair, too.  If I was looking for a small RV, I’d probably look for a Class B first, but I wouldn’t be surprised if a Rialta is even smaller than some of them, and thus able to get in (and out) of a lot of the same places easily.  Unless you don’t care about having indoor plumbing - then I’d just look for a conversion or cargo van.

Edit:  After looking at the ad again, I think that one is unfortunately priced to take into account their following.  At that price, I agree with Stampie that an older Roadtrek would be a good choice.

elhartspeedshop
6/9/20 1:15 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
elhartspeedshop said:
eastsideTim said:

Yup - just maybe not very fast laugh  I suspect, since they have a following, there’s a good knowledge base for repair, too.  If I was looking for a small RV, I’d probably look for a Class B first, but I wouldn’t be surprised if a Rialta is even smaller than some of them, and thus able to get in (and out) of a lot of the same places easily.  Unless you don’t care about having indoor plumbing - then I’d just look for a conversion or cargo van.

Edit:  After looking at the ad again, I think that one is unfortunately priced to take into account their following.  At that price, I agree with Stampie that an older Roadtrek would be a good choice.

I like the roadtrek idea! Never really have looked at those. Chevy Van 4x4 conversions aren't that hard?  With the right donor an LS could come along for the ride too maybe.   

I had ditched a 95 G30 van because I live too close to a middle school to be driving one around and I do miss it...

Better choice? I guess giving up 5-8 mpg's would be worth it for towing capabilities.  

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/rvs/d/cottage-grove-1993-roadtrek-210-camper/7128983645.html

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/9/20 8:18 p.m.

I’d take the Roadtrek over the Rialta, especially at that price difference.  My personal preference would be a 190, not a 210, but I suspect it’ll still tow, I’d just be careful about how much.  Pleasureway is another brand that does Class B vans.  I’ve heard the weight distribution on those is not as good as on the Roadtreks, though, at least on older models.

If you want 4x4 van, but don’t need plumbing, you could go looking for a Quigley or a Sportsmobile.  Both of those will be a lot more expensive than an equivalent AWD Astro, though.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
6/9/20 8:43 p.m.

4x4 suburban?

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
6/12/20 5:20 a.m.
Snowdoggie said:

I like the idea of a raised AWD Astro Van set up as a camper. 

Hey, I can fix ya up with a blank canvas to start that project with, for WAY under challenge price!devil

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
6/12/20 5:22 a.m.

In reply to lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) :

Hadn’t heard of an ultra van before,.. now ya made me want one. blush

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0aR83HCF18vypscGEi0h9bIzwYTHNKb1FWly3Ctr6bDXhx2fejTMvxlvoJP0uBtp