1 2
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/7/20 4:12 p.m.

Since it was mentioned in another thread that people might be interested in southern rust-free Miatas, but thanks to Facebook Marketplace aren't able to search for them outside their local area. So I decided to start a thread to share any I encounter here - feel free to add to the list!

First one a 99 for $2550

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Dork
8/7/20 5:11 p.m.

What's a good price?  I saw a couple decent examples the other night while trolling Craigslist but didn't know if the price was worth posting them 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/7/20 5:18 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Automatic is a deal killer.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/7/20 5:19 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Always worth posting.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Dork
8/7/20 5:22 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I think they were an NA and NB (or two) between $2-3k, at least one auto.

I'll dig em up tonight. 

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
8/7/20 5:31 p.m.

FB labels everything auto. Pic shows manual

8/7/20 6:16 p.m.

Here's another 99 for $2600 that looks nice & clean, though it has a salvange title. 

This 92 has a crappy respray & says "needs ignition", but is $900obo. 

Another 92 that's rough but supposedly running & driving perfectly for $1200, plus the seller has a clean 89 shell for $600. 

A 93 that needs paint & a headlight motor, but comes with a new top for $2k, though it states "CASH TALKS" so you can probably get a deal. 

8/7/20 6:16 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Whatever you think is a good deal for the car! I'm just trying to help enable :)

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Dork
8/7/20 7:18 p.m.
8/8/20 12:49 p.m.

This 91 is $2500 with a "clean body" but has "issues". It also has a plaid center console & dash...

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
8/8/20 3:07 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Automatic is a deal killer.

On FB Marketplace always,always,always read the detailed specs or look through the photos because "automatic" shows up as a default most of the time and too many times the vehicle is a manual. Just click on the "See all typical features".

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
8/9/20 10:11 a.m.

I've always thought Miatas were one of those rare cars where buying them from northern states can be a good idea - the vast majority of them aren't driven in the winter, and since they're summer only rides they often have low mileage.  They aren't subject to as much UV damage either.

8/9/20 11:57 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

That's probably still true for nicer ones, but based on the number of posts & comments regarding rusty ones I think the number of non-rusty cheap ones will continue to drop up north. 

8/9/20 6:33 p.m.

2000 Miata for $800 it doesn't run & the seats are trashed, but it has 2 transmissions, a rebuild kit for the engine, and the seller states he'll throw in a Ford 302 if you want it. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
8/9/20 7:16 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

I'm  a member of a Miata club here in Michigan and I'll agree with you. There are members who have cars that have never been rained on, let alone seen a salted road. One person has an 11K mile NB that she drives to the hairdresser once a week, and that's it. They travel in her husband's immaculate NB that has over 100K on it. November 1 seems to be storage day for most of the members' cars, other than a couple of us heathens who show up to the February meeting in our Miatas.

Unfortunately prices seem to be going up for NAs and NBs that aren't coddled.  120K, with rust and asking $6K isn't unusual now. That's when a rust free southern car starts making sense.

Sil80redtop
Sil80redtop HalfDork
8/9/20 7:43 p.m.

Those may be the worst condition seats I've ever seen in a miata.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Dork
8/9/20 8:14 p.m.

I like the overhead light

8/10/20 5:16 a.m.
Sil80redtop said:

Those may be the worst condition seats I've ever seen in a miata.

My first thought was they'd been ravaged by badgers, but the rest of the interior looks to be in decent condition. 

8/11/20 7:13 p.m.

This 90 looks pretty good for $2500. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
8/12/20 9:41 a.m.

Every time I click on a cheap Miata for sale here, I know there is a 99.9% that it's going to be sold when I click on it. No suprises here lolz.

8/13/20 4:52 a.m.

Used but unmolested 2001 for $2k. 

jharry3
jharry3 HalfDork
8/13/20 7:20 a.m.
Jerry
Jerry UberDork
8/13/20 8:03 a.m.

And I need to follow this thread for when I get home (no FB here at work).  Although I have my $1200 Answer, if we continue to post parts I'm interested.

thedoc
thedoc Reader
8/13/20 2:45 p.m.

Hey Pete!

Thanks so much for starting this thread.  We are in the market for a miata and would like to get one that has not lived it's life here in New England.  I'm all over this.

I'm from the South, and this thread still makes me go "Gol Dang!" Also, I may have overpaid for my Miata with a shot crank.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UEqCHTruQ9O6NnifeBGLmzdWSlmKTk0q8fgM03t9lxE1XVDgRpRjU8MJk6cY1br1