John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/16/21 3:21 p.m.

I stumbled across this that looks like a good deal...maybe.  Details are few and there is only one picture.  Maybe this really is someone who just doesn't want to bother with the car.  

Asking $1,500 Prius  The big flag is ot says it needs a Hybrid Pack.  But that could be $500 from this Prius Dismantler that I trust just East of Akron, OH and not far from Pitt.  Or, car-part.com will lead you to JY hybrids from wrecked cars for as low as $300.  But, $1,500 car + $500 battery puts you at $2k.  

The ad states that this car has only 143k miles so this car, fixed would retail for $5k like this exact sample

Some other quirks of the ad:
1. mentions 143k miles but also says odo broken.  I'm hoping this is a listing error of an inexperienced seller.  
2. mentions the car is drivable.  Bad hybrid and drivable are at odds with each other.  My  optimistic side wonders if it's really the battery pack. 
3. mentions new rotors, brakes, and cat converter.  This means it likely doesn't have the high recoup value factory cat.  This could also be good because it's keeping the scrappers from buying the car.  The factory cat may be worth $1,500 alone but the aftermarket is not.  
4. condition is listed as Salvage but I again am hoping the inexperienced seller has that listed wrong as a "quality of car" statement not a "in the eyes of the State" statement.  
5. mentions rust which I can see on the rear portion of the rocker panel.  I have more than one Prius with similar rust and it is a non-issue.  But, PA can be strict.  However, this should be an easy bondo job to pass inspection if needed.  

If anyone does talk to the seller, get the VIN and we car pull up the car's dealer service history.  

If anyone wants more opinion we can talk here or offline...  jwelsh02...yahoo...

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
12/17/21 1:34 p.m.

Might be gone! Tried contacting them for vin. It's been several hours and no response. 

Edit: Got word it was sold!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/17/21 2:58 p.m.

No surprise that it was gone quickly.  The 3+ hours away was more than I could easily get to myself.  I didn't expect it would be around long enough for me to free up to get out there

billstewartx
billstewartx New Reader
12/19/21 8:18 a.m.

gone gone gone 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mlTNhVmEb5KDzTvIBqRiNDFnqoy3qKwDrFWoHLJy0O4hK3DTCtoetwp50qmHC9F2