- this would be cool

- intense fabrication 

- transmission failure

- proper test drive

- hell no

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/27/23 5:41 p.m.

It seems like this is just the body. I wonder what happened to the chassis?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/27/23 6:03 p.m.

This has way too little information about the B-210!

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
1/27/23 9:11 p.m.

To quote the article Bye-Bye, Berzerkeley 

"After that, we realized there wasn’t much left for us to do with the Berzkerkeley. So we’re calling this one finished. Luckily, a friend offered to take on the project and continue developing it, so future updates are entirely possible."

IMO They did not continue developing it.  :0(  Parts her out....

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/27/23 9:37 p.m.

From what I remember, it had some fairly terrifying handling characteristics. Not ones that were openly acknowledged in the project car updates, but, well, let's see what Margie had to say.

I didn't drive it because I have a family that loves and depends on me, but it was... evil. Not eVil, just vicious. Tom (Heath), who also has a family that loves and depends on him, but is a man so was sure nothing could ever happen to him, DID drive it and said, "Directional control was more like a suggestion." The wheel lift in corners made me recheck our insurance policies and rehearse what I would say to Rhonda, his wife. (I settled on, "Uh, Rhonda?" then just running the hell away as fast as I could as the best response.) At Ocala it posted H Stock MINI-ish times because it really couldn't be, you know, driven.

If failure is success, then that thing hit it out of the ballpark.

Or Per.

The real cool part was the massive direction change when it would get on its cams. Which was followed by violent torque steer back the other way...and then back again the other way. It's about the only car I was ever unable to keep going in a straight line on a straight. 

....And that 2-wheeling shot in the magazine that Tommy took was at a surprisingly slow rate of speed. It was actually kind of fun to balance it up there like that. But, it limited how quickly you could corner.

We aren't talking direction changes measured in inches. We're talking car widths.

Tom Suddard:

Watch out. It is undrivable. Completely so.

The car went to Steve Eckerich for some sorting after GRM was done, and he found some significant geometry problems. Then it was sold to (via?) wbjones as a hillclimber, then tedebayer? Here's what the latter had to say.

the CG was lowered and the track was widened and every combination of caster, camber and toe was experimented with ... it did not help. The experimentation was documented with care and punctuated with bad words, SMUIs (Sudden Moments of Urinary Incontinence) and near disastrous results. It would take off with enormous torque... with 49%l eft and 51% right... and then 51% left and 49% right... and as you tried to steer through it.. the percentages got wider apart as the nose direction changed zip codes. The diff could not deliver a balanced 50%-50%... not with added weight, not with alignment, not with wider track (we added over a foot to front wheels and even tried narrowing and widening the rear.) It does not want to flip or get up on two wheels any more... that problem is fixed. The suspension was modified from last article to dual shocks in rear and other changes in front. It just cannot go straight under power.We even looked at ATV and go cart and small FWD car diffs. It is a unique application and will most likely require a unique custom solution. Translate $$$$$ You certainly have a right to your opinion on how it could be corrected... and I'd love to see that happen without you having to knock over a bank to make it right. It is an awesome little car and changing it to rear drive is not that hard but loses it's original purpose and charm. 

A year or two later, the chassis was being parted out.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/just-when-i-thought-i-was-running-out-of-things-to-do/59984/page1/

Curmudgeon does his summation:

The story I got, in bits and pieces: GRM sold it after the Challenge, the new owner could not get it to handle well at speed, that problem is thought to be a combination of front wheel drive, a very light car and a heap of horsepower.

It was then sold to another fellow who tried to build a hillclimb car from it but ran into the same handling problems. (He still has the body, though.) The rolling chassis without wheels/tires was sold to another guy who pulled the Suzuki motor etc to use in his A Mod which was built from an FSAE car. I then bought the chassis and suspension stuff from that last owner.

Such an interesting project but in the end, just not a good build.

nocones
nocones PowerDork
1/27/23 9:39 p.m.

I really shouldn't but might find out what they want for it....

1/28/23 6:43 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

Then you'll need to figure out how to flat-tow it with the 360 van. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
1/28/23 7:50 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

I don't have a FB but had to delete my "someone tell me where and how much" reply last night. While curious, neither of us need another project 

1/28/23 10:22 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

There's no stated price, but my hunch is "too much".

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
1/28/23 12:39 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Yes plus I tend not to bother with people who preach at me in for sale ads regardless of what they're preaching. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/28/23 1:50 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Certain trigger words automatically shut me off. Rare, hard to find, barn find, etc. Long winded articles espousing the virtues of said target are similar. People like that think they have gold. 

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/28/23 6:02 p.m.

$1850

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pwaeB7sGZRgKavEDndA3LBed5TC1DCS1qBL7trTpfUv1CmN8DaAJXfwRWKLCKveL