1 2
billstewartx
billstewartx Reader
2/9/22 8:02 p.m.

BMW 850... Who is gonna go grab this one? 

https://www.iaai.com AWESOMENESS

128racecar
128racecar Reader
2/9/22 8:29 p.m.

Does it come with a hazmat suit?

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
2/9/22 10:33 p.m.

Ooooh yay, a flooded BMW with 2 ECUs!

In all seriousness, if it hadn't been submerged that would be an amazing thing to bid on.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/10/22 8:27 a.m.

Not seeing $24,000 of AWESOMENESS.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
2/10/22 8:42 a.m.

Man these cars are beautiful. Even with how rough that thing looks, who the heck thought that subwoofer was a good idea?

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
2/10/22 8:45 a.m.
914Driver said:

That's just the value for insurance. Notice the estimated repair cost is the same. Meaning insurance totaled it which is why it's at the auction. 

2/10/22 9:27 a.m.
EvanB said:
914Driver said:

That's just the value for insurance. Notice the estimated repair cost is the same. Meaning insurance totaled it which is why it's at the auction. 

Also, if the estimated $24k in repairs was put into it, it would be worth $24k pretty easy. That valuation is off of a repaired example. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
2/10/22 9:30 a.m.

Hmm, I wonder how these part out and if you could end up with a rolling shell for close to zero as a Lemons build.......

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
2/10/22 9:46 a.m.

I think that is still one of the best looking BMWs ever.  I'd never be willing to own one, except maybe as a shell for a completely different drivetrain.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/10/22 11:40 a.m.

There is nothing left there that is awesome. 

Also, for BBS Brand, those are some ugly wheels. 

Furthermore, is that an inverted subwoofer molded into the rear seat center console??? 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/10/22 12:23 p.m.

It does look like an inverted woofer. (Insert top gun meme here)

How is the bidding already at $2350?!? That means it will be close to $3k out the door, for a car that is not worth rebuilding and may not have many usable parts at all. 

I mean, I wouldn't kick it out of my shop, but I wouldn't pay much for it either. 

The engine and trans wouldn't be expensive to replace with junkyard stuff, but that car needs everything replaced.

billstewartx
billstewartx Reader
2/10/22 12:24 p.m.
John Welsh said:

There is nothing left there that is awesome. 

man, what a bunch of grumps!  

Bring a Trailer says... 

20k to 180k for BMW 850 ... 

so a drowned one for  $5k  is a Bargain... 

2/10/22 12:44 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Way more money than I would pay too, but these are getting harder and harder to find, so the prices keep going up. I keep kicking myself for parting out an 80's 635, when they are going to $20-30K+ now. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
2/10/22 1:20 p.m.

In reply to billstewartx :

I mean, I totally agree that 850s are awesome cars. And if this one had the manual trans that would be worth 2-3k on its own. 

But how much of a rare car can you replace for $15k? And in how much time? I think fiscally you'd be much better off buying the $20k one that hasn't been underwater up to it's neckline.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
2/10/22 1:23 p.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah. All these cars I wanted to buy back when they were like 8k are now double! 

</Old man yelling at clouds>

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
2/10/22 1:29 p.m.
akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
2/10/22 2:08 p.m.

I see a $3000 chassis, nice looking body.  It would make a great hotrod style build, keep as much of the interior and body stock looking.  Add gnarly V8 drivetrain of choice and a simplified electrical system.  

billstewartx
billstewartx Reader
2/10/22 3:46 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

I mean, I totally agree that 850s are awesome cars. And if this one had the manual trans that would be worth 2-3k on its own. 

But how much of a rare car can you replace for $15k? And in how much time? I think fiscally you'd be much better off buying the $20k one that hasn't been underwater up to it's neckline.

probably true... and this would have a salvage title, which makes it handicapped ... the car will never-never-never  be worth $100K

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
2/10/22 4:52 p.m.
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) said:

who the heck thought that subwoofer was a good idea?

Probably the sixth or seventh owner. 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
2/10/22 11:37 p.m.

I would do some things to an 8 series shell

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
2/11/22 12:23 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

It does look like an inverted woofer. (Insert top gun meme here)

How is the bidding already at $2350?!? That means it will be close to $3k out the door, for a car that is not worth rebuilding and may not have many usable parts at all. 

I mean, I wouldn't kick it out of my shop, but I wouldn't pay much for it either. 

The engine and trans wouldn't be expensive to replace with junkyard stuff, but that car needs everything replaced.

850 Parts are monster expensive. Especially trim pieces, just the rear speak grill I needed for my 91 20 years ago used haunts me, add in the DK motors. The manifold and really anything you can sell it would break down for around 8-9K in my opinion just in easy to grab parts. Especially if the transmission is still in working conditions. That alone is a couple grand add in a functional ECU and even higher. 

billstewartx
billstewartx Reader
2/15/22 6:39 p.m.

did anybody check the final price on this? 

last time i checked ( 24 hours before the end) it was $4000 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/15/22 7:02 p.m.

Googling the vin took me to a site that said $5850 plus $783 minimum fees.  

billstewartx
billstewartx Reader
2/15/22 8:48 p.m.

nice work!

i guessed it would settle at ~$5K... so that price makes sense... 

billstewartx
billstewartx Reader
2/16/22 6:56 a.m.

annnnnd... its BACK!

i believe the owner is on DRUGS... thinks its worth 10,000 bucks !

he is in for a long haul of failed auctions ...

https://www.iaai.com/

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4i3z8LQDVDXQTNttBlX58bKrcjX1pw0slFhHW1mIK78qXnJC5PFvQC0yTpi8MeiU