1 2
Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/16/22 7:40 a.m.

Ah...  I see it's been re-listed. That explains the current $2100 bid.  Which is already more than I'd want to pay for this example.  I am no stranger to pie-in-the-sky dreams. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UltraDork
2/16/22 7:44 a.m.
dculberson said:

Hmm, I wonder how these part out and if you could end up with a rolling shell for close to zero as a Lemons build.......

30 years and 115k miles in NY. What are the chances it's rotten underneath?

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
2/16/22 7:49 a.m.
OHSCrifle said:
dculberson said:

Hmm, I wonder how these part out and if you could end up with a rolling shell for close to zero as a Lemons build.......

30 years and 115k miles in NY. What are the chances it's rotten underneath?

Probably pretty high. My thought on a car like this would be to strip it down to the bare shell. Fix whatever rust is found. Then rebuild it "hot rod" style with a different drivetrain, a hot rod wiring harness and custom interior, keeping only the minimum of OEM components to maintain function.  That plan would also allow for a color change. While it wouldn't really be a BMW anymore, it would still look cool and be fun to drive.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UltraDork
2/16/22 7:57 a.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

I think I remember these have window motors that drop the glass when you pull the door handle.. then raise it back up once closed.

Making stuff like that work on an adapted electrical system sounds like serious tedium. Beautiful car though. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
2/16/22 8:05 a.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

Yep.  Something controlled by the BCM. I seem to recall there are companies working on a more "universal" BCM.  But in theory, someone with good PLC programming ability could duplicate that function.  Unfortunately, that someone is not me as I lack the patience required for programming. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/16/22 9:41 a.m.

In reply to billstewartx :

Based on what I can see with my IAA account, the seller (who is accused of being on drugs) is Progressive.  Flow, herself.  

But, I too might agree she is on drugs.  Pre-pandemic, my local IAA branch used to have about 500 cars per week.  In the height of the pandemic that went down to 200 cars since few were driving and therefore fewer were getting into accidents. 

What is common at IAA is that if a car doesn't meet reserve, it is given a buy now price that stays there until next weeks auction.  I see it as another hope from the insurance company to get paid the high dollar.  What I find interesting now is that my local IAA has over 900 cars in the weekly auction but more than 400 of the cars have a buy-now price.  I take this to mean a SIGNIFICANT portion of weekly sales are not meeting reserve.  I think the insurance companies are holding out for the longer dollar now that they are having to pay out the longer dollar with increased car values.  

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/17/22 7:58 a.m.

Beautiful car and a 90's icon in many ways, but while despite the worst looking BBS rims I have ever seen and that stupid sub woofer in the back seat, this was likely a really nice car before the flood. That being said, with a flood damaged title, even if you got it running and titled with a reconstructed title, this would never be a BAT car. So back to lower end of the spectrum, you buy it for the body and make it into something else, a parts car for the body parts and trim that is not damaged or someone tries to rescue it. Bringing this one back from the dead is not impossible, but close!

Honestly if you really want one, that ebay car for $17K is a steal. Buy it, fix the paint and minor faults and resell it on BAT for $$$.

billstewartx
billstewartx Reader
2/18/22 9:39 a.m.
dherr (Forum Supporter) said:

Bringing this one back from the dead is not impossible, but close!

Honestly if you really want one, that ebay car for $17K is a steal. Buy it, fix the paint and minor faults and resell it on BAT for $$$.

True.  its a mass of work.  Really only good if the price is low, and you wanted to do a Resto-Mod...

which would mean you could put in custom interior parts instead of the Exorbitant UnObtanium OEM parts.. 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
2/18/22 12:45 p.m.

Those wheels are awesome; just horribly painted. Disassemble and refinish them and  they would be winners.

billstewartx
billstewartx Reader
2/25/22 9:04 a.m.

now its down to 6500 buy it now ...

billstewartx
billstewartx Reader
3/2/22 9:17 a.m.

and... its gone... 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6BfK7JDpccR4R3nY6WEl6p0CJptElj42txHtKtVpKOZxV2CtdvSzDDQoVRlcqaPT