hobiercr
hobiercr SuperDork
3/23/20 9:07 p.m.

Link

NMNA - If I was closer I might be in trouble. Looks like a really nice build and a HUGE list of performance parts.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
3/23/20 9:10 p.m.

I need this 

hobiercr
hobiercr SuperDork
3/23/20 9:16 p.m.
Andy Neuman said:

I need this 

As a family man, yes, yes you do.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
3/24/20 6:28 a.m.

In reply to hobiercr :

Craigslist needs an order button and they figure out shipping.

My wife listens to me too often about how old cars are unsafe. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
3/24/20 2:45 p.m.

I have one on my avatar. I should therefore have one in my driveway.

maj75
maj75 HalfDork
3/24/20 3:46 p.m.

Lot of love and thought went into this build. Wonder where it went wrong?  Time, money, talent?  Trying to do too much?

I see a bunch of these builds where a guy spends years and $$$ and never gets it finished.  I wonder how many of these stalled projects ever get completed.  This would be a greater challenge than a basket case 122.  So much is custom, there isn't any manual to help.

tr8todd
tr8todd SuperDork
3/25/20 6:37 a.m.

If you are a Volvo purist, then it might scare you.  This forum is populated with people that invite this kind of modifications into our lives.  Race cars, street rods, Lemons cars, back yard builds, they are all the same.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/25/20 7:14 a.m.

That looks like a 28 year old supermodel:  few original parts and an uncertain but expensive future that needs a sugardaddy.

My mindset over the last few years has become "If it is not OEM,  it is junk". That beautiful body is a rolling collection of aftermarket parts traveling in close formation; overpriced parts from companies that cant afford OEM quality control. 

It will start to become neurotic once you start driving it, and there wont be any fixing that E36 M3.

Pete

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
3/25/20 7:16 a.m.

there is iron in NOHOME's words

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
3/25/20 7:43 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I still want it though. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/25/20 7:59 a.m.

Other people's wiring scares me especially when they stopped partway through

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
3/25/20 10:19 a.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to NOHOME :

I still want it though. 

Hope springs eternal - I want it bad too.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/25/20 10:33 a.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

Don't we all. But I know better.

The body might make for a good donor to a new project and selling off the grocery store list of aftermarket stuff might help finance a new project.

If you like Amazon wagons and epic build threads, here is a link worth reading.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=333984

The gist of the story is that the owner had built something much like the car on offer. He then realized what a colossal pile of E36 M3 it really was, and that it was going to require a significant sum of time and money to "finish". So he took a new path.

Pete

hobiercr
hobiercr SuperDork
3/25/20 10:36 a.m.

Supposedly to do the 8.8 axle conversion properly (geometrically) it requires fabbing new upper mounts and impacting the rear seat mounts. HTT if that has been done on this one. Otherwise, I don't think this build is that radical. The Volvo 2.3T and T5 swaps are both very common. Add an MS3 to the mix (some fiddling but great support network) and you are really almost there. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
3/25/20 11:56 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Bravado or not, nothing in that scares me off. I've wired a megasquirt, I love building wiring harnesses, I'm not scared to weld brackets, and will hack in all sorts of weird ways to get a car driving and then iterate from there. What I'm saying is: I love it and if my bonus comes in and the world doesn't end it might live in my garage and you can tell me you told me so when I get stuck and have to ask on here how to do something. The wife's already in love with it.

:) 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
3/25/20 1:16 p.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

So what you're saying is you can pick it up and finish it for me and I'll pick it up in the fall. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
3/25/20 2:35 p.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

If I got and made it to the fall, when it's worse off then it was before and I hate the word "volvo" and never want to see one again - yes, it's yours. ;) 

03Panther
03Panther Reader
3/27/20 9:30 p.m.

People that think "the original engineers are way smarter than you" and modding things only makes them E36 M3, are prolly right , and shouldn't even own any tools. I've seen (and done) stuff improved, and I've seen (and done) stuff made worse!!!

NOHOME is exactly right on the Model comparison... its gonna give ya trouble! But some trouble is worth it!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tLYLCe4Nn5hMIHJ0E5DlpZprm45nfPSgt0ggu3iOwhAxeb19hLycpMhpWwrvVDWX