dogbocks
dogbocks New Reader
1/15/18 12:30 a.m.

Hi guys, Selling my 1984 Volkswagen Mark 1 (MK1) Rabbit (Golf) GTI. This is a stage rally car that was used to compete in stage rallies in the PNW. It competed under the number 214 (you can Google pics of it). I bought the car when I still lived in the Northwest about 7 years ago and since moving to CA haven't done much with the car and its time to pass it on to someone who will use it properly. I bought the car for $10K, but a few thousand into it and only put maybe 80 miles on it (no rallies).

It is maybe a weekend of work away from being ready to rally again, or it could be made into a fun track day, autocross or hillclimb car. If you are thinking you can street drive this car, you really can't, its a real racecar and would be dangerous and suck daily drive on the street, not to mention a total pain in the ass and your GF will hate you. 

As I said this is a real racecar with a proven race build: Hot Bitz rally struts, Kaaz diff, aftermarket cams, Megasquirt, aftermarket axles, dual fuel pumps, and a lot more. The car runs and drives fine, but there are a few little things that should be sorted before driven in anger. The car has the 2.0 16V 9A engine. 

The car is plated in WA still, so you will have to get plates sorted out wherever you happen to live. The car is not insured and therefore no one will be going on a test drive. After you pay for the car, your test drive can be driving it onto your trailer ;)

Please only get in touch with me if you are really serious about a racecar (not a DD!). I think this car could be great fun for someone and I am selling it pretty damn cheap considering what the car is capable of. 

One last thing: I have a pile of spare parts in WA still. You can take them or leave them, I can help get shipping sorted but you will have to pay for it. Spares are: 12 wheels/tires, spare doors, spare hood, spare windows, spare hatch, spare rear beam, spare rad, various motor bits. 

The car is currently located in Santa Cruz California. 

Here is an album with pics:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ql4blpjGZcLDV6hg1

dogbocks
dogbocks New Reader
1/15/18 12:46 a.m.

oops forgot to mention the car is for sale for $6000.00

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
1/15/18 7:05 a.m.

Looks epic!

84FSP
84FSP Dork
1/15/18 7:49 a.m.

Bump for a great deal on a sorted car!

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
1/16/18 1:29 p.m.

" If you are thinking you can street drive this car, you really can't, its a real racecar and would be dangerous and suck daily drive on the street, not to mention a total pain in the ass and your GF will hate you. "

He doesn't know us very well does he?  Challenge accepted!

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
1/16/18 2:05 p.m.

If I didn't have to wear a suit, I'd DD the crap out of this!

christobevii3
christobevii3 New Reader
1/16/18 3:44 p.m.

What type of power is this making?  Is it unsafe to drive on the street or could theoretically be driven to an autocross?  I live in Oklahoma so no inspection requirements.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
1/16/18 3:55 p.m.

Most rally cars are street legal by rule and it still has WA plates, so you should be fine as the 2.0L motor doesn't make THAT much power, even fully modified.

jsymonds
jsymonds Reader
1/17/18 1:44 a.m.

Hmm, that looks like it would enjoy living in Portland...

dogbocks
dogbocks New Reader
1/18/18 11:41 a.m.
christobevii3 said:

What type of power is this making?  Is it unsafe to drive on the street or could theoretically be driven to an autocross?  I live in Oklahoma so no inspection requirements.

My comment about it being unsafe to drive on the street relates to the fact I think it is unsafe to drive a caged car if you aren't wearing a helmet, which no ne would do in the street. 

Power: its the 2.0 liter 9A VW engine with an aftermarket cam, megasquirt and aftermarket intake and exhaust (not header, just downpipe). The stock motor made 135hp I think, so this one probably makes 160? 170? its plenty fast for gravel, I think it would be great for autoX too. It has a shorter final drive than stock and a limited slip diff which I think would make the biggest difference for autoX. 

dogbocks
dogbocks New Reader
1/18/18 11:42 a.m.
jsymonds said:

Hmm, that looks like it would enjoy living in Portland...

This car was born in PDX, would be a funny coincidence if it ended up back there. 

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
1/18/18 12:03 p.m.

Yeah, I shared it to the local rally Facebook pages and the previous owner commented on the fact that its for sale.

He and I shared a drive in a ChumpCar race at Portland and he's building a Audi 20VT powered 944 for Rallycross (using an original Porsche body in white, its an interesting project)

Gotta love small worlds.

dogbocks
dogbocks New Reader
1/18/18 8:14 p.m.
Stefan said:

Yeah, I shared it to the local rally Facebook pages and the previous owner commented on the fact that its for sale.

He and I shared a drive in a ChumpCar race at Portland and he's building a Audi 20VT powered 944 for Rallycross (using an original Porsche body in white, its an interesting project)

Gotta love small worlds.

Ah cool, I wonder if Phil still has my old 323 GTX, man that car was so cool. 

dogbocks
dogbocks New Reader
2/24/18 10:55 p.m.

SOLD!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WaIaQiZFGScemgvk0upMa3QhKOhyQMEe16hzeny5zO9fAgROfhI9mDa20BjLkREk