1 2
Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
8/28/20 12:51 p.m.
P3PPY said:

Bubble Butt is not going to work out for me. Still looking

BlueinGreen Jon's wagon is what you should buy.  Seriously.

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/28/20 2:42 p.m.
Indy "Nub" Guy said:
P3PPY said:

Bubble Butt is not going to work out for me. Still looking

BlueinGreen Jon's wagon is what you should buy.  Seriously.

Meh, I was picturing a road trip rally type event, like the 24hrs of Lemons rallies, for which a big wagon would be awesome.

While it can handle a backroad pretty well, I think Deadskunk has me convinced you’d have more fun in something smaller and more nimble.

P3PPY
P3PPY HalfDork
8/28/20 3:42 p.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) :

I'm inclined to agree on your take there.

Okay, so while GM FWD cars are easy to find - that LeSabre is pristine! - and are phenomenal in the snow (I used to think I was a good winter driver, it just turned out that I had an Oldsmobile) I don't suppose there are any that I should be considering for running the rally. I'm amazed at the amount of cars I'm finding for under $1,800 (i figure on negotiating) so what should I look for? All Subarus? There's a post for a Kia/Hyundai above -- are they contenders? Do they handle being pushed roughly? I also see all these Saab 47111 or something - how about those? What about any midsized SUVs? All just as good (or bad?)

Thanks again for input. I'm looking forward to getting this done

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
8/28/20 4:48 p.m.

Wanna be really , really different?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/351349485894744/

I'll go back to searching for a legitimate car now.cheeky

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/28/20 4:59 p.m.

Lesabre with generic 205/75/15 mud tires sounds like a winner for the event and for a winter beater

P3PPY
P3PPY HalfDork
8/28/20 5:37 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

Lesabre with generic 205/75/15 mud tires sounds like a winner for the event and for a winter beater

For serious?? (Rally?)

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
8/28/20 5:40 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

299k miles...on an old Renault! 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
8/28/20 6:15 p.m.
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:

299k miles...on an old Renault! 

Has to be a typo......right? And it doesn't appear to be all that rusty by Michigan/Ohio standards. Now, if it were an R5 I'd go look at it.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
8/28/20 7:11 p.m.

Damn it man, now I want that Renault.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
8/28/20 9:24 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

Damn it man, now I want that Renault.

Well, my masochistic friend, it would be an interesting project thread if you bought it and I'll bet you would change your mind shortly after it became yours.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
8/28/20 9:35 p.m.

These.....

Plus this.....

I would thoroughly enjoy hooning a Mazda2 on proper rally tires down a dirt road, or a rallycross course.

JRGunfighter_John
JRGunfighter_John New Reader
8/31/20 7:31 p.m.

1997 QUATTRO

NM NA

JShaawbaru
JShaawbaru
9/1/20 5:12 p.m.

I have a 2005 Saab 9-2x (Linear, automatic, 260,000 miles) that I would let go for possibly as little as $0. It runs and drives as-is, assuming the battery isn't completely dead, but it has an undiscovered coolant leak that caused me to stop driving it and put it away since I had 2 other 9-2xs at the time. Coolant system was holding pressure at 10psi, and I did a combustion gas test that showed none getting into the coolant, overflow tank isn't leaking, and I never got around to UV dye leak testing it.

The only things of value to me on it are the wheels and tires (not good for a rally/winter anyway, and I have another set of wheels, you'd just need to source some tires, the ones on them now are bald on the outside on oversized [from a lifted car]), the stereo (I can leave it in for $100 or out a stock one back in), and the mudflaps (I'd let them stay for ~50).

I'm located in Waterford, MI, if you're interested let me know. I'd much rather see this car do a rally and be someone's winter car than continue sitting in my backyard and maybe get fixed in a month, or a year, or never.

P3PPY
P3PPY HalfDork
9/1/20 6:38 p.m.
JShaawbaru said:

I have a 2005 Saab 9-2x (Linear, automatic, 260,000 miles) that I would let go for possibly as little as $0. It runs and drives as-is, assuming the battery isn't completely dead, but it has an undiscovered coolant leak that caused me to stop driving it and put it away since I had 2 other 9-2xs at the time. Coolant system was holding pressure at 10psi, and I did a combustion gas test that showed none getting into the coolant, overflow tank isn't leaking, and I never got around to UV dye leak testing it.

The only things of value to me on it are the wheels and tires (not good for a rally/winter anyway, and I have another set of wheels, you'd just need to source some tires, the ones on them now are bald on the outside on oversized [from a lifted car]), the stereo (I can leave it in for $100 or out a stock one back in), and the mudflaps (I'd let them stay for ~50).

I'm located in Waterford, MI, if you're interested let me know. I'd much rather see this car do a rally and be someone's winter car than continue sitting in my backyard and maybe get fixed in a month, or a year, or never.

100% interested! PM sent

JShaawbaru
JShaawbaru New Reader
9/1/20 6:53 p.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

will reply, if I can figure out where my PMs are. they seem to be eluding me currently.

P3PPY
P3PPY HalfDork
9/1/20 6:54 p.m.

OH! I almost forgot -- you'll have to come up with a good livery for it. Man, I'm getting really excited, I didn't realize until I was telling my wife about it which one the 9-2x was-- the Saabaru, which of course makes sense with your name. What color is it so I can start having appropriately colored daydreams?

JShaawbaru
JShaawbaru New Reader
9/1/20 6:58 p.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

I'm not sure about coming up with a livery, I don't really have any ideas. It's dark blue though, the best color for them in my opinion. 

JRGunfighter_John
JRGunfighter_John New Reader
9/1/20 7:19 p.m.

P3PPY
P3PPY HalfDork
9/5/20 7:37 a.m.

Well, I picked it up yesterday and it’s in great shape! I guess I’d better start a build thread soon. Thanks again JShaawbaru!

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/16/20 2:20 p.m.

I missed this whole thread and I'm located in waterford MI...

I wish I introduced myself at POR but it sounds like you had quite the adventure too! 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ds8wpj9z1psJozro5czS4RQufgt2YOwSsuOv3aiqYW3CLajmjeCwLy6FeukBq2xD