barrindw
barrindw New Reader
2/12/21 10:53 a.m.

Circumstances require me to sell my unfinished '78 Alfa Romeo Alfetta track car project.  I was building it to meet SCCA G production limited prep rules.   The status of the build is as follows:  The body was stripped,  dipped for rust removal, mended where necessary, primed,  painted, and had a roll cage installed.  The engine was rebuilt with high compression pistons, hotter cams, lightened flywheel, & an oil windage tray.  The Spica mechanical fuel injection system was rebuilt by Wes Ingram.  The car also comes with a set of 40DCOE webers.  Use whichever you want.  The rear suspension was converted to be adjustable for ride height, heavier rear springs & sway bar, Koni shocks, urethane deDion front bushing and rod end Watts link bushings.  The front suspension has all urethane bushings, heavier sway bar, and 27mm torsion bars.  The torsion bars are not yet installed, so at this moment, the car cannot sit on its wheels.  Brake calipers have been rebuilt. The transmission (transaxle) and driveshaft have been rebuilt but are not installed.  The car is currently on a rolling stand made of square tubing attached to car skates.  A racing seat has been installed, along with the steering column and rack & pinion.  Other uninstalled goodies include an 8 gal ATL fuel cell and a Firecharger extinguisher system.  Also included are three sets of wheels, the original Alfa turbine style, a set of 4 Cromarda wheels, and a set of 4 14" x  7" wide wheels.  Except for putting the main wiring harness in the chassis, nothing has been done other than what I have described.  All the other parts such as headers ( 2 sets), exhaust systems (also 2 sets) radiators, electricals, body parts, glass, instrumentation, stock fuel tanks, etc. are there.  There are two of almost everything since I had a '76 donor car.  I'll post some pics soon, but if I have piqued anyone's interest post a comment or email me at barrindw@gmail.com

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
2/12/21 1:31 p.m.

Was this a road race car?  GProd has been gone for some time.  Anyway, pics / price / location would help..

barrindw
barrindw New Reader
2/14/21 9:04 p.m.

In reply to Kendall_Jones :

Yes, this was going to be a road race car.  I haven't looked at the most recent SCCA GCR to see where it would fit now.   I believe tht it also could fit somewhere in NASA.  It could be made streetable since it is a bare shell at this time.  Part of the roll cage might have to be sacrificed to do that.  All the things to make it street legal are there.  Car is in soughwest Ohio.  Pics are coming.

barrindw
barrindw New Reader
2/14/21 9:29 p.m.

barrindw
barrindw New Reader
2/14/21 9:35 p.m.

Here are some more pics.  

barrindw
barrindw New Reader
2/14/21 9:36 p.m.

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/14/21 10:02 p.m.

FYI, that cage is not SCCA legal as it is in the pix.

tr8todd
tr8todd SuperDork
2/15/21 3:30 p.m.

Might be if you can argue the petty bar rule, but that would be a hard sell. Either way,adding a diagonal and replacing the horizontal is a couple hours work and about $50 in tubing. I would be more concerned about a dash bar and if it exists or not. Looks like a fun project for an alpha guy. If it was British,I would be all over it. What's the asking price?  Inquiring about a similar deal 12 years ago is why I have a bmw 2002 ep race car.

jgrewe
jgrewe Reader
2/15/21 3:56 p.m.

I haven't looked at the rules in a few years but the main hoop diagonal used to be allowed within the plane of the hoop or between the rear supports.  It looks like there is a diagonal in the rear supports.

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/15/21 4:19 p.m.

What would be more concerning to me is the bolt-in/on bars forward of the main hoop. The a-pillar bars and upper windshield bar. Can't quite get a good look at the mounting attachment system that is in use. Looks strange. 

I would also like to see more pictures of the whole project and a price.

jgrewe
jgrewe Reader
2/15/21 4:51 p.m.
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) said:

What would be more concerning to me is the bolt-in/on bars forward of the main hoop. The a-pillar bars and upper windshield bar. Can't quite get a good look at the mounting attachment system that is in use. Looks strange. 

I would also like to see more pictures of the whole project and a price.

Good catch, I couldn't see how they were attached until I zoomed in on the pic.  There can't even be that much overlap of tubes with the little bends right at the ends. I nice looking cage if the class doesn't require a cage is what it looks like. I think there were some approved bolt in cages sold that didn't use the recommended methods shown in the GCR, not sure if they are still allowed. 

Easily fixed problem either way though.  Nice looking car. If I didn't have 4 projects going right now and one waiting for me in a friend's garage I would see where it fit in vintage racing.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0fMvZKmrkET7hEcFyTkXE6qeoLWbxHglywiZFm85oVsPqCM0LnvyvXol5WgjPbUF