44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
5/27/19 8:54 p.m.

Location?

DeLorean
DeLorean New Reader
5/27/19 9:00 p.m.

In reply to 44Dwarf :

Sorry, it's in Portland Oregon. Updated. 

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/27/19 9:34 p.m.

I have been actively shopping for an FV restoration project, but Oregon is just a little too far from Connecticut to make this one a realistic possibility. Damn.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/27/19 9:36 p.m.

Also... Logbook?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
5/27/19 9:47 p.m.

This should be restored to FV legal racing specification. Too many old Vees have been cut/cobbled into something else. The presense of the log book makes it especially possible/desireable.

DeLorean
DeLorean New Reader
5/27/19 10:06 p.m.

We would love for it to see competition again. I have not seen the racing logbook but apparently it has never been in any major crashes, just a few small shoves. The owner seems like a good guy and doesn't want it to go to waste.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/28/19 12:03 p.m.

Even to just flog it at local Auto-X or track days - cheaper than a girlfriend.

Like Woody, it's just too far.....

GLWS.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
5/28/19 12:38 p.m.

Finding track days for formula cars is actually kind of challenging. They dont want them to mix with tin tops because of safety (size disparity). SCCA even excludes them from their national time trials program. 

What I would do with that is prep it for vintage road racing. Probably the most bang for buck as far as fun factor. Solo Vee (autocross) just isnt a path to a competitive car. They moved them from Fmod to Cmod, but I still dont think they would be able to top a Formula Ford. It would take modification and time and money and still not have it.  May be fun if you are ok with not being competitive though.  Throw a 1600 in there, wider tires and let'er rip.

Vintage though, yeah, fun inexpensive way to get started. 

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
5/29/19 12:00 p.m.

I really need to get involved in a local formula v team. I'd love to help out on prep and race weekends to learn the cars and setups, and then maybe jump in myself.

DeLorean
DeLorean New Reader
5/29/19 10:34 p.m.

I updated the post with some information on the maker, a Canadian racer named Al Ores. 

wilkmanracing
wilkmanracing New Reader
6/6/19 1:20 p.m.

I race a Formula Vee in Southern California.  It is a very fun and inexpensive way to go racing.  As this car is intact, it really should be restored for vintage road racing. Like this car, the car I bought had been sitting for several years.  In my case, it had been stored in a garage.  Outside storage in the Pacific Northwest will have taken a toll on pretty much all aspects of this car. That's not to say it is beyond restoration; but the buyer needs to be prepared to do considerable work to make it track ready. In Southern California, most Vee owners use the services of Ditmar Bauerle of Quixote Racing.  He can do all of the necessary work or some of it, for a very reasonable fee.  I hired  him to do all engine, suspension, and safety standards work on my car. I handled the refinishing of the frame and exterior finish of the body.  The car for sale will have to be stripped down to its bare chassis and rebuilt from there. The engine will have to be gone through, as its outdoor storage wll have likely led to rust in the engine's interior. The frame will need to be sand blasted and painted or better yet powder coated.  The suspension will also need to be refreshed. The belts are undoubtedly out of date and will need to be replaced.  Same for the fuel tank.  These cars once raced legally with a fuel tank.  Now a fuel cell is required. The fire supression system will have to be replaced along with tires.  All of the hydraulics wll have to be replaced, including the brake and clutch hydraulics. The buyer should make sure he will fit into the car. When I shopped for a Vee, I found that my 6' 2" bod would not fit into many of the Vees I examinedl Realistically, this car should be in the $1,000 price range.  I paid $1,000 for my car.  When it was completed, I had around $5,000 in it, certainly a very affordable price tag.  

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
6/6/19 1:37 p.m.

In reply to wilkmanracing :

Totally agree with your assessment.  My formula car is a different class (F500), but I thought the price was high for its condition.

Before "bare frame" scares someone off, I would point out that its MUCH more like bare framing a go-kart than a production car you might be thinking as far as task load.  Many people do the equivalent of a frame off resto in the off-season while staying married and having some semblance of a life. 

aaronrobins
aaronrobins
11/16/19 10:11 p.m.

Hey there, is this still available? Funny enough I know the original owner/maker of this car. 
I agree with wilkmanracing's assessment above though, but would be interested if the price is right. I'm in Vancouver Canada. Thanks 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
11/16/19 11:19 p.m.

Every time a thread like this comes up, my next stop is to go to apexspeed and see if there is something similar near me. I tend to look at formula fords instead of FVs though.

Hope someone picks this one up and gets it back on track.

Mayuiers
Mayuiers New Reader
12/9/19 1:01 a.m.

In reply to DeLorean :

Hi, I am in Portland and am interested in your Formula Vee. If it is still available would you please contact me?

dale

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
12/9/19 8:29 a.m.

In reply to Mayuiers :

There's an email address in the ad.

DeLorean
DeLorean New Reader
2/3/20 9:20 p.m.

Car has been sold!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners