The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
1/13/20 8:53 a.m.

Story by Peter Krause • Photography as Credited

Racing can age a person quickly. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but the learning curve at nearly every level is so steep that if you stick with it, you will become a better, smarter and safer driver. This sport tends to self-select, so flakes don’t generally hang around too long.

Racing schools usually have a similar curriculum that follows the basics: How to keep everyone safe while inculcating good practices and acquainting drivers with a glossary that’s like a foreign language if not in words, then in concept and execution.

Contrast this with that first day at an actual race, where the veteran drivers gather around the newbie friend and dispense advice laden with their heroics–like how, for example, they cheated death by this much as they were split by the leaders lapping them for the second time in a session.

If only that hive mind could be transferred to the novice in one fell swoop. But it can: Here are 10 bits of wisdom to help quickly build that foundation.

Read the rest of the story

zordak
zordak Reader
1/13/20 9:46 a.m.

I agree totally with #4. Having been on the receiving end of both the good pass and the dive bomb,  I try very hard to be the former and not the latter. Also my experience is that you will pass the dive bomber on the next straight because they had to slow down to much to actually make the turn.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/13/20 10:01 a.m.

In reply to zordak :

Yes, totally. On that note, yesterday I came across this video that totally makes your point:

In the Golf Cup race, you see a pass as you described. And not only does the passer wind up not holding onto the lead, but he goes off the track. And crashes. In the car that he drove to the track. 

Chris McComb
Chris McComb New Reader
1/13/20 2:11 p.m.

#7 is excellent.  When I started racing, I forced myself to leave the car essentially untouched for nearly two years.  I knew it was better than I.  When I started to feel like I could do more than the car was letting me do, that's when I started the upgrades.

Seat time is the best teacher.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/17/20 9:51 a.m.
Chris McComb said:

Seat time is the best teacher.

Yes, 100%. 

Our Preferred Partners
oG4YhlLdsrgKPZPHDKOovceYJprdMLYQJJY9a7XM2cs5P2uA1V7GCVmo2rGgQC7W