The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
7/25/22 9:50 a.m.

[Editor's Note: This article originally appeared in the January 2015 issue of Classic Motorsports. Price has been updated to 2022 value.]

The Austin-Healey 3000, commonly known as the Big Healey, has become an icon of classic British motoring. According to Hagerty's price guide, a No.…

Read the rest of the story

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/25/22 9:57 a.m.

Pretty cars, but  from a chassis design and build point, probably the lowest quality car I have worked on.  

wspohn
wspohn UltraDork
7/25/22 10:28 a.m.
NOHOME said:

Pretty cars, but  from a chassis design and build point, probably the lowest quality car I have worked on.  

The Healeys are a PITA to work on - Jensen welded the inner sheet metal to the chassis which makes extensive body work expensive, the axle over the frame (except for the very last cars) was a stupid move to save money and compromised handling etc.

But they sure look nice!

And I would put Triumphs right up there with the AH in terms of poor assembly quality!

Funny that the AH had issues but the contemporary BMC stuff (MGA/MGB etc.) not so much.

sfisher71
sfisher71 New Reader
1/15/23 6:17 p.m.

Tightening the wire wheel knock-offs regularly is good advice.

Even better advice: clean and grease the splines every so often to prevent rust and wear. Remove the wheels (one at a time is OK) and use a wire brush to clean between the splines on the car, then do the same on the wheels.

This is also a good time to check your spokes for tightness. You used to be able to buy a wire-wheel spoke wrench from Moss, but I sold my last wire-wheel equipped car a couple decades ago. 

A thin film of wheel bearing grease will help seal out moisture; apply it before putting the wheel back on. (I used Castrol, because Col. George E. T. Eyston was director of Castrol when he set a bunch of land speed records in various M.G. products after racing them at Le Mans in the Thirties, but you should use your favorite brand.)

I used to do this at least once a year in the '90s, when my daily driver was an MGB with wire wheels. If the car in question is mostly driven to shows and tours, add this to your wintertime tinkering list. It's a good time to do as this article says and check the brakes for leaks, wear, etc., and can be part of a pleasant day with your classic while waiting for the weather to clear.

carloshermida
carloshermida New Reader
1/16/23 1:48 p.m.

Best is to get a car that looks like a Sebring 3000

But has a Corvette engine   etc

Replicars are the best investments

They always start

and run perfectlysmiley

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/16/23 10:47 p.m.

I found a complete Sebring MX(big fender flares) unbuilt kit with a factory built rolling chassis a few years back. Always wanted a "big Healey", but with the crazy prices, this will be the next best thing or possibly a better thing? it has Mustang II front suspension, a Ford 8" rear with 4-link rear suspension, mounts for either a Ford or Chevy V-8 and is set-up with a clutch pedal for a standard transmission. In the boxes are the complete interior, carpets, seats, door glass, windshield, wood dash, all the aluminum trim, wiring harness, gauges and more. It even has all the nuts & bolts to assemble the whole car!!! I can't wait to clear out space in the garage to spread out all of the parts, do an inventory and start the assembly. Maybe some day I'll finally get the Healey I've always wanted.

gsarahs
gsarahs New Reader
3/7/24 6:17 p.m.

I never intended to but due to a crooked company stripping my '65 Healey down to its core without any permission, I then bought a '67 BJ8. Then after winning my court case, I now have both, each in my favourite two-tone colour schemes! There's nothing like the purr of a straight 6 Healey engine!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iyDObWch79XgwG5yTCw84xEZN7mMafEysz1mZfEqQg8PZhcKVDKMO1Ha12Sp2CZm