fritzsch
fritzsch HalfDork
2/25/13 12:59 p.m.

Hello,

This isn't exactly motorsports related but I have a 1961 Lincoln Continental and I was thinking about a front disc brake swap. There is a kit available here. But once I consider the dual master cylinder and prop. valve I am over $1,000. I am thinking about buying the spindles, calipers, rotors from a 1969 car and swapping them onto the 61. I would then buy a new dual master and prop valve from the above link.

Does anyone know if this is possible and what else I might need. Also what is a reasonable price for the front brake system from an old car?

crankwalk
crankwalk Reader
2/26/13 11:50 a.m.

Side note but is there a reason you are going to go that way? I rebuilt my 4 wheel drums on my 63 Continental and it stopped great. The wheel cylinders did the most good and I did the whole thing for 200 bucks.

fritzsch
fritzsch HalfDork
2/26/13 12:42 p.m.

I thought the additional stopping power might be good, haven't really had a chance to drive it more than around the block, its been in a driveway/garage more or less since I got it. But an additional reason to go to disks is that drums are getting scarce/expensive. I don't know how much material I have left but that is a reason why some people go to front and rear disk brakes. But you are right the cheapest option is to rebuild the drum brakes and I may indeed go that route, especially if you say the brakes were acceptable.. I play on using the stock hubcaps so I don't really need to worry about the 'ugly' drums being seen through my wheels.

crankwalk
crankwalk Reader
2/26/13 4:16 p.m.

What I did was ditch the factory vented 14 in covers and went with a solid early 70's 15 in cover to cover ALL the ugly drums. These were easy to find in good shape and with the 15s you get that nice tuck in the rear that looks SO right. Good luck with your Lincoln, they are wonderful cars.

fritzsch
fritzsch HalfDork
2/27/13 11:21 a.m.

I need to clean mine up but I actually have solid covers and 15in wheels. What color is yours? It looks nice

crankwalk
crankwalk Reader
2/27/13 11:33 a.m.
fritzsch wrote: I need to clean mine up but I actually have solid covers and 15in wheels. What color is yours? It looks nice

Sultan white I believe is the technical name for it

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zLrfcpoSjaJCfHoLfkLKZyZL56HTA1tiu2BnJeox4BHjkHzFNFUANCdCWyy9u0xC