viprit
viprit New Reader
2/27/19 3:25 a.m.

Hey all, I have acquired a 1975 XL350 K1 that appears to be in decent shape, but I can't get a spark for the life of me. I have tried to follow a few other threads here and on other websites, but now I seem to be stuck and need help from someone who has a lot of experience with these machines. Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire

To start I disconnected the engine killswitch and the ignition is straight up missing, so I considered that disconnected as well.

I had a test light in at the alternator's black and white wire and that connection is good when I kick the bike over. I then moved the test light to the joint connection of the alternator and the points. The test light also lights up there when I kick over the bike.

So at that point I figured I could get the bike going. I connected the ignition coil to the joint connection of the alternator and the points as I did above and tested there with the test light. Still good. So I moved my test light to the small metal contact between the condensor and the ingition coil. Still had light there. However, when I went to test the secondary coil (spark plug end) in the spark plug cap, my test light showed absolutely nothing after many kicks. I replaced my test light with the spark plug and placed the spark plug on the cylinder head as described in the manual. No spark when I kicked the bike over.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
2/27/19 5:33 p.m.

Have you cleaned the contacts on the points themselves?  They can build up a layer of corrosion when they sit for a long period of time that will block the electrical connection.  Run some fine emery paper or a points file through them, and try again.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ctXEUqnWXz7ZgpZJYcKHndACN3LEsXyJm1zz5Z31lw7R6vEeTC6k6CUQLkV9qMQs