The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
9/24/19 12:51 p.m.

Story by Devin Altieri

“As a kid growing up in Southern California, my father had a 1957 Porsche 356. I didn’t know much about cars at the time, but even 7-year-old me knew that Ferry was a special car. So special, in fact, that he couldn’t be parked at home, that I couldn’…

Read the rest of the story

terracer
terracer New Reader
9/26/19 4:24 a.m.

German cars have a personality.... It's true!  People who buy autombiles as appliances could never understand it, but we car folk do..  The sad thing about these old Porsches is that their prices have gone through the roof - to the point where the average car guy could never afford one.  Sadly, the average car guy is one of the few people left who can really appreciate them (DRIVE THEM) for what they are..

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/27/19 1:32 p.m.

When I first got this draft from Devin, I replied to her: I feel so lame as my Porsche sits. 

TheUnscented
TheUnscented
1/21/20 7:39 p.m.

Snapped a pic of your 356 at the Rolex a couple of years back....now I know the rest of the story.

David S. Wallens
3/6/20 9:41 a.m.

Mark's 356 is everywhere. 

cyncrvr
cyncrvr New Reader
3/21/20 3:05 p.m.

Pure awesomeness!!

David S. Wallens
3/24/20 7:32 p.m.

We ran into Mark and his 356 (not literally) on the way home from Amelia and were actually staged behind him on the ferry.  Like Elvis, Mark is everywhere. 

Gary
Gary UltraDork
3/24/20 7:40 p.m.

Beautiful car. Great character ( the car). I much prefer this look to an over-restored example.

David S. Wallens
3/24/20 7:53 p.m.

True story: I had been stalking Mark for years. I think I first saw this car at Porsche Parade in Savannah years ago. A few years later, we finally met--and I was like, Hey, we need to tell your story.

Devin did a great job on the story, taking a different angle than I ever imagined. She's a pro. If anything, it made me feel guilty for letting mine sit more than it should. Kevin's photography also came off stellar. 

And a funny P.S.: Kevin, manager of our ad department, was Mark's frat brother. We didn't know that until Kevin saw a proof of the story. 

Mark's easy to find any any Southeast gathering of cool people. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UZl0IfQsva9dlKuCI6FDzUdUADVqexZQFDcBEupT7wHrycMXz6IcpC1Nfmqzg28H