Kimowantsspeed2011
Kimowantsspeed2011
7/19/11 7:30 p.m.

I have an 1982 bertone fiat x19vs and my tranny is stuck in second gear and my rear truck cord snapped when I tried to open the trunk to look at the tranny and check the gear oil but I don't know how to open it without the cord. Any info will help out a lot thanks for your time.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
7/19/11 8:36 p.m.

Mirafiori forum is your best source for reliable answers on that car. The 5 speed was known for having problems with the reverse idler which can sometimes give problems in forward gears, but being stuck in gear is unusual. There's a coupling between the trans and the shift lever right where it exits the trans that can fail. Could be that.

polsen
polsen
7/19/11 8:49 p.m.

In reply to Kimowantsspeed2011: There is an secondary cable to the rear trunk latch in the engine compartment. It is on the driver side along the lower edge of the strut tower. It looks like a 1 inch diameter rubber gromment with a cable attached to it. It is mildly difficult to get at, but if pulled should release the trunk latch. If that doesn't work, you can drill a hole thru the body behind the license plate to stick a lever in to actuate the trunk latch. The gear oil is checked by removing the upper fill plug on the transmission. Remove the drive side (left) rear tire and find the plug above the axel.

Coupefan
Coupefan Reader
7/20/11 5:48 p.m.

Go straight to the experts:

Xweb

Someone will be able to help you.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
7/21/11 10:34 a.m.

Head over to Xweb and search out Steve Hoelscher, he goes by XHead. I'd say he's probably the closet to an expert in the US for that transaxle. Not only did he used to own a transmission shop, but he's built them for years for racers, including himself, very successfully.

As for the trunk release, I assume you are talking the engine cover? If it is the trunk, I believe you can take off the rear license plate and get access that way. I had to do that some years ago, but I believe that is how I did it.

speedygonzales
speedygonzales New Reader
9/1/11 1:48 a.m.
racerdave600 wrote: Head over to Xweb and search out Steve Hoelscher, he goes by XHead. I'd say he's probably the closet to an expert in the US for that transaxle. Not only did he used to own a transmission shop, but he's built them for years for racers, including himself, very successfully. As for the trunk release, I assume you are talking the engine cover? If it is the trunk, I believe you can take off the rear license plate and get access that way. I had to do that some years ago, but I believe that is how I did it.

Hello there i am experiencing the same problem and it is a pain in the arse looking for guides / do it yourself information regarding my concern. I have a question regarding Xweb. Is that a paid service? I mean i will ask questions but before they answer it i have to pay something? or it is just also a forum like this that is free? well anyway i will just join there and see for myself. i need lots of Fiat parts

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
9/1/11 10:21 a.m.

Xweb is just a regular forum.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pGHU5UBUNld6eV0i19FZiEh3GzCuRo4cQEcIdkJwbx0Lvty7w4Q27sAeoSuoIjjo