2 3 4 5 6
teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
7/20/14 6:05 p.m.

And so it begins. Spent the afternoon draining fluids, removing the radiator and disconnecting about a thousand wires and vacuum hoses. Tomorrow I'll start disconnecting the same around the transmission.

Engine and transmission could be out Tuesday!

I don't know what it is about this car but I'm already missing two nuts, a bolt and the accelerator cable clip. When you drop Audi fasteners on the floor they make one sound then evaporate

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
7/23/14 11:02 a.m.

I've always admired Ur Quattros. I'm sure that when it all goes back together it will be better than it was before. Keep posting updates.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
7/23/14 11:03 a.m.

I hope so :)

T.J. wrote: I've always admired Ur Quattros. I'm sure that when it all goes back together it will be better than it was before. Keep posting updates.
teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
7/25/14 8:38 a.m.

Here goes......

and it's out.

That was tight. Going to be fun getting it back in. Wish I'd known this was still attached. Would have been a whole lot easier. DOH!

Right side engine mount fell apart.

SO next is remove sub-frame, split engine and box, Asses all the leaks, clean, remove head. That will be next week as I'm busy over the weekend.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
7/28/14 7:33 p.m.

Some progress today :). I removed the subframe and dragged it to one side of the shop:

Was going to split the block and transmission next but was thwarted by one wastegate bracket nut so decided to remove the intake and exhaust plumbing first.

Discovered a few issues of course. One is that almost every fastener I have removed so far seemed very loose. Is this normal? Also these:

What's this?

Broken connector on the diff lock actuator:

If I get time tomorrow I'll split the block and trans :)

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
7/31/14 7:28 a.m.

They're under starter's orders......

Ready............

Go!

YUK!

Not too bad

Clutch slave cylinder off. Replace?

Borrowed this to test fit. Will it fit?

Today I might get to power-wash everything and take off the clutch.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
8/2/14 6:13 p.m.

Quite a bit of progress these past few days. I think this is the furthest this car has been from being drivable since before it was made!

Got the clutch off. What do you think?

Doesn't look that worn.

Bought some supplies and cleaned the sub-frame and gear box.

Got the flywheel off and mounted it on the engine stand.

Next, off with it's head!

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
8/3/14 4:27 p.m.

Got the head off. No problem with any fasteners or anything. Took me a while to figure out hoe to slacken the timing belt though. Never seen that before.

Here are some shots of the pistons and valves:

And the valves:

I filled the head with gasoline but couldn't see any leaking past the valves.

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
8/3/14 5:17 p.m.

I've got a set of 79.5mm pistons on the shelf from my first Turbo engine if you need them.

This is the part where I make some snide comment about trading them for that two-piece exhaust manifold. I've been looking for one of those for ages. They were an updated replacement part ($800 or so in 1991!) and never installed on production cars, so they are quite rare and when people find them, they do not let go! It will fit but you may need to dimple the downpipe where it sneaks past the joint. Some have to dimple and some do not and the difference seems to be manufacturing tolerances.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
8/4/14 6:44 a.m.

Is 79.5mm the next size up then?

I haven't yet decided on my way forward for the exhaust manifold. The two piece belongs to a friend who also has a welded one available. I'm leaning towards keeping it as original as possible but also want a solution that actually works. I'll have to let you know down the road.

Knurled wrote: I've got a set of 79.5mm pistons on the shelf from my first Turbo engine if you need them. This is the part where I make some snide comment about trading them for that two-piece exhaust manifold. I've been looking for one of those for ages. They were an updated replacement part ($800 or so in 1991!) and never installed on production cars, so they are quite rare and when people find them, they do not let go! It will fit but you may need to dimple the downpipe where it sneaks past the joint. Some have to dimple and some do not and the difference seems to be manufacturing tolerances.
Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
8/4/14 6:26 p.m.

79.5mm is the stock size. I assume that you have the original engine and not a 2.2l from a later car. The 2.1 is 79.5mm, the 2.2 is 81mm.

I am fairly sure that the 2.1 block can be overbored to 81mm to take 2.2 pistons. I know that the 2.2 block can be overbored to 82.5mm to take 2.3 pistons, as that is what I am putting together at the moment.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
8/6/14 7:09 a.m.

So yesterday I did as suggested: flipped the head, filled the combustion chambers with gasoline and aimed compressed air at the valve seats from below. Results can be seen in this video.

URQ Intake and Exhaust Valves Check - YouTube

As you can see, almost every cylinder has an issue. The worst is #1 though which is the one with bad compression. I think we'll be putting the new head on when we put this back all together.

I also did a similar thing with the piston rings. No compressed air though. I just poured some fuel into each to see if it leaked by fairly quickly. I have no benchmark for this test but in my opinion they leaked down very, very slowly. I'm thinking the pistons are OK but I need a better way to prove this before reassembly.

One thing I'm not sure about, how to remove the large pulley on the front also seems to be called "vibration damper". Big central nut or four Allen screws or all five?

Any suggestion for stopping the crank rotating?

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
8/7/14 12:47 p.m.

How about locking the crank off the flywheel, like this?

The four Allen screws actually came out very easily.

So an air impact gun should free the center bolt up then?

VClassics
VClassics Reader
8/7/14 1:42 p.m.

Yep, just like that.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
8/8/14 10:42 a.m.

I was watching Ashes to Ashes last night and thinking of Quattro's.

How did it run before disassembly with cyl #1 that bad and the cracked manifold? Any other plans while in pieces? Tickle the ports with a die grinder, ceramic coat whatever manifold goes back on?

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
8/8/14 11:43 a.m.

Was that the show where someone's mate comes over and fixes his car for him?

Car ran good but wouldn't idle very well. That got worse over time till the engine came out. Now it won't even start.

Adrian_Thompson wrote: I was watching Ashes to Ashes last night and thinking of Quattro's. How did it run before disassembly with cyl #1 that bad and the cracked manifold? Any other plans while in pieces? Tickle the ports with a die grinder, ceramic coat whatever manifold goes back on?
Adrian_Thompson
8/8/14 1:17 p.m.
teamilluminata wrote: Was that the show where someone's mate comes over and fixes his car for him? Car ran good but wouldn't idle very well. That got worse over time till the engine came out. Now it won't even start.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: No surprise it wont start now, it's go no bloody head on you twit! No, Ashes to Ashes is a British Sci-Fi Polic drama, a follow up to 'Life on Mars' (not the crappy US version) where the main character goes back in time to 1982 and her co-star boss drives a ur Quattro I was watching Ashes to Ashes last night and thinking of Quattro's. How did it run before disassembly with cyl #1 that bad and the cracked manifold? Any other plans while in pieces? Tickle the ports with a die grinder, ceramic coat whatever manifold goes back on?
teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
8/8/14 1:35 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

I know that you twit! LOL

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
8/10/14 9:53 a.m.

Took the oil pan off yesterday. All the screws were very loose. That's been a feature of this project so far. Hope it extends to the crank bolt. Some screws were even missing!

While it will be nice to check the bottom end out the main reason for taking off the oil pan was to wedge the crank in preparation for the dreaded crank bolt extraction.

So I tooled up and crossed my fingers.

I needn't have worried. Came off like butter.

It certainly wasn't loose but I doubt it was fully torqued.

So, relieved, I put the kettle on for a well earned brew and then dug through my boxes of spares and pulled the reconditioned head I bought earlier in the year to see if it matched the old one.

Slightly different part numbers:

What's this tube sticking out of the side for?

Different boss arrangement on the left side. Problem?

And the cam lobes look smaller in the refurb head.

Shall I use this one of fix the old one?

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
8/10/14 11:09 a.m.

I just found this quote from the ad when I bought the car a few years ago:

"The car has a modified head and a modified ECU to allow use of the Euro wastegate spring."

What do you think they did? Maybe I should contact the previous owner.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
8/10/14 11:45 a.m.

Isn't Google amazing? From the previous previous owner's ad:

"Modifications include,,, port matched intake and exhaust, multiangle angle valve grind, chipped ECU with euro wastegate spring"

Doesn't mention anything about the cam but I am intrigued by "chipped ECU" now.

Adrian_Thompson
8/12/14 9:19 a.m.
teamilluminata wrote: I just found this quote from the ad when I bought the car a few years ago: "The car has a modified head and a modified ECU to allow use of the Euro wastegate spring." What do you think they did? Maybe I should contact the previous owner.

Do you still have Kurt's e-mail? If not let me know, I'm sure he would love to talk about it.

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
8/12/14 12:07 p.m.

Tube is for injector air bleeds.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
8/12/14 12:28 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
teamilluminata wrote: I just found this quote from the ad when I bought the car a few years ago: "The car has a modified head and a modified ECU to allow use of the Euro wastegate spring." What do you think they did? Maybe I should contact the previous owner.
Do you still have Kurt's e-mail? If not let me know, I'm sure he would love to talk about it.

I do, thanks

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
8/14/14 12:01 p.m.

I disassembled the turbo, manifold, down pipe and waste gate over the weekend. It put up a bit of a fight but nothing a bit of heat and an impact gun couldn't handle.

The manifold is cracked. Need to decide whether to repair it or install the later Audi "fix" manifold.

There is a little play in the turbo bearings so I think I should have it rebuilt. Any recommendations for a rebuilder?

Should I rebuild the waste gate too? I've been told they wear over time and bleed off boost.

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Gf1alV0bsphYWal515RmXFleik8XOedV8mBeVRfceLX4wphaxnfvuMljJsGjMlut