1 2 3 4
kreb
kreb Dork
2/11/10 10:21 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: [1] Like a Nissan RB26 - twin cam, six cylinder ... oh, and a couple of turbos...

A 4.2 litre GM Vortec I6 has a nice symmetry to it. DIYautosport's built one up that's worked out very nicely

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
5/1/10 9:26 a.m.

With that kind of budget you could buy 3 very nice Opel Mantas and still have enough cash to have one of them equipped with a later 2.4L Opel motor with 5-speed and EFI to drive the wheels off of it.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
5/1/10 11:05 a.m.

In reply to ditchdigger:

I would buy that red 124 AC coupe TODAY!. I have not seen one in that condition that was actually for sale for over a decade.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
5/1/10 11:06 a.m.

Hey I am at the Mitty which is celebrating all things BRE as well as Lotus cars. Have you considered a nice 240Z? I may buy one for my next car.

wspohn
wspohn New Reader
5/4/10 2:36 p.m.
Andy Reid wrote: Hey I am at the Mitty which is celebrating all things BRE as well as Lotus cars. Have you considered a nice 240Z? I may buy one for my next car.

The only nice 240Z is a restored 240. They had amazingly light gauge body metal and amazingly little rust proofing.

That means that buying an unrestored one can break the spirit (and bank account) of even the strongest most determined enthusiast.

Having said that, a restored car with modern rust proofing in place would be a great driver - they are wonderful cars, comfortable, peppy and pretty much weatherproof.

All of the above pretty much applies to some other older sedan/closed cars like a Mk 2 Jag etc.

Coupefan
Coupefan Reader
5/4/10 3:52 p.m.

In reply to ditchdigger:

That's a beautiful 124 AC.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim Dork
5/5/10 10:26 a.m.

There's the occasional 240z/260z on CL here in Vegas. From some of the old vehicles I've looked at here rust is unlikely to be a big issue but they don't seem to be that common around here.

But I'd love one with the later 5-speed swapped in.

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
5/12/10 1:49 p.m.

A virtually rust-free Bitter SC with a brand new full Webasto style sliding sunroof and a low mileage LS1 under the hood.

I just happen to have all 3 parts... just need to be combined ;-)

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
5/12/10 9:43 p.m.

You know I am always amazed when someone says that there is no such thing as a rust free anything. I think this is a terribly short sighted and uneducated statement, well except for a fiat 850 spider:). (And yes I do really like them).

In Nevada, Arizona as well as much of California, there are tons of classic sports cars, Triumphs, MGs, Porsches and 240Zs that have never seen rust. It is true that many of these cars have interiors that need work but replacing vinyl is much cheaper that replacing steel.

Check out cars on the west coast and western states and you will find tons of these types of cars around. It is absolutely a myth that the only way to get a nice 240Z is to buy a restored one. Look beyond the states with snow and salted roads or the ones on the ocean and you will find these cars. If you don't believe me ask me and i will find you some.

The 5 speed swap is what I had in my 240 and it was nice and made a big difference on the highway. Also it seems not to effect the value of 240Zs at all and is actually viewed as an acceptable upgrade. The original Z, the Nissan/Datsun PS30SB Fairlady Z432 actually came with a 5 speed.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
5/13/10 8:33 a.m.

I looked for 2 years before buying my 240Z. It came originally from Arizona and then migrated to California before coming here to North Alabama via a serviceman. It is virtually rust free in most of the common areas, but does have some rot under the battery area. Also, there is some around the hatch area where the rubber gaskets retained water. Other than a few bubbles around the bottom of the fenders, that is it. Under the battery is fairly severe, but the frame rails and floors are perfect.

Having owned numerous cars of all types and vintage, there is hardly a better car to own if you want a drivable sports car from that time period. It's certainly not perfect, but it is the perfect classic; drivable, reliable when maintenace issues are resolved, and has enough room for actual humans and their stuff. Not to mention it can use an AC system without crippling it and is still decently quick even by todays standards.

That's a beautiful 124. I had a friend with a '72 124 Coupe and I wanted it pretty badly when he sold it, but didn't have the funds at the time. It ended up going to South America. I'd make room for one in a heartbeat!

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
5/13/10 9:26 a.m.

850's were known to actually have rust bubbles on the showroom floor...

The first "rust free" 850 I went to look at was indeed rust free... all the rust had been cut out and Home Depot aluminum sheets pop riveted into place. ;-(

There was an 850 on Ebay (about 3 hours away)with a high "buy it now" that claimed to be rust free. I contacted the seller and made a deal... if the car was truly "rust free" I'd pay his full asking price. if it wasn't, he'd compensate me for my gas and buy me lunch.

I went expecting to have a nice lunch and came away with the most rustfree 850 I'd ever seen...

Bill

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim Dork
5/20/10 11:13 p.m.

The answer to the question so far is C4 Corvette Convertible (see profile, and I know the pics aren't great).

flyinlow
flyinlow New Reader
5/23/10 12:22 a.m.

This is a bit off the wall, but how about one of the last of the Saab Sonnet. Practical (ok), cult following, relatively inrxpensive, good in snow, two seater, unique, and a great "What IS it factor.

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
5/25/10 9:22 a.m.

I daily drove a Sonett for a few years... can definitely provide feedback for anyone considering this. I enjoyed mine, but there were some fragile bits...

Bill

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim Dork
5/29/10 1:10 p.m.

My first car was a SAAB 99 and I've got a bit of a soft spot for older SAABs but I'm not that big a fan of FWD anymore.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/4/10 10:15 p.m.

Hard to beat Mazda RX-7, Datsun 240-Z or BMW E30 M3.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim Dork
6/4/10 10:39 p.m.

I wouldn't mind another RX7 and I'm still keeping my eye out for a 240Z. Until then, the 'vette might do.

Once I fix it .

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
6/7/10 12:25 p.m.

Nothing wrong with a C4 convertible. They are a nice car, fast, cheap to fix and fun to drive.

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
6/7/10 1:05 p.m.

There has been waaayyy too much C4 discussion on the forums recently. And suddenly I'm seeing them for sale everywhere! Not good for my marriage at all... ;-)

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim Dork
6/7/10 2:57 p.m.
Andy Reid wrote: Nothing wrong with a C4 convertible. They are a nice car, fast, cheap to fix and fun to drive.

I'm pretty impressed with the parts prices so far - mine's just lunched its smog pump (hence the "once I fix it" comment) and it looks like the replacement isn't exactly expensive, even if I factor in the additional parts I might change when I'm in there (like the serpentine belt and possibly the belt tensioner).

It's pretty quick and I like the handling - with the roads around here I really appreciate the flat cornering.

Once I'm a little more comfortable in it I might take it to an autocross if I can convince the wife that I won't hurt the car.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
6/8/10 3:57 p.m.

Congrats Tim, enjoy the car. More than anything else, drive it. :)

Did it come with a hardtop?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim Dork
6/9/10 10:25 a.m.

No hardtop unfortunately, so I've got to set up an ebay search for one once I've got the time for that. I'm not that convinced it needs one anyway as it'll be a pure summer car - I have to go over a pass to get to work (Lake Tahoe - the hardship!) and that's AWD territory in winter.

The 'vette seems to have lived its whole live in Vegas and is rather clean underneath as a result and I'd had to suddenly start accelerating the wear on that.

VonSmallhausen
VonSmallhausen New Reader
6/20/10 9:41 p.m.

I got confused when you said that you wanted a daily classic that doesn't cost a ton to maintain....they made those...............but if it helps at all I suggest buying a Project Stag, mines never quiet on me (Helps when it doesn't have an engine) and only ever needs to be filled up with air now and then so that I can roll it out of the garage and make vroom-vroom noise, also the value of the car increases very time I go into the garage (mostly because that means I'm throwing money at it) Glad I could add some sound buying advice

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette HalfDork
6/21/10 11:15 a.m.

Plus 1 Stag http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/1385/

pjr300
pjr300 New Reader
7/11/10 11:00 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: I know this can quickly become one of those threads where everyone picks the car that they own, but how about a Porsche 911 SC or 1984-'89 911 Carrera?

Not to be a devil's advocate, but would the 911 really be a good daily driver? Maintenance and repair cost can be quite brutal.

I do like the C4 suggestion, and, at recent prices, a C5 may be viable.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
koYHoiwRAJCbBJEyabKa6W94Uo50N6FxoWQUWiystuhamYbKZTPubPN2nXp1VisY