1 2
Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
12/11/11 9:11 p.m.

Been watching these stupid Lexus commercials and it caused me to buy a couple of cars for Christmas, too. Perhaps not a new Lexus, but a '71 MGB and a '66 Fin Tail Benz. We are thinking classic rallies for the Benz and a low-buck vintage race project for the MGB.

What are your thoughts?

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
12/11/11 9:18 p.m.

They are even both red. Perfect for X-mas.

The Benz is a 230S with factory air, head rests and a four speed.

Not sure if it was optional, but it has power steering as well.

And that full-race exhaust system, probably by Ferrari!

bobpink
bobpink New Reader
12/11/11 10:49 p.m.

The Benz looks like the Bat car. How long before Per talks you out of it?

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
12/12/11 12:46 p.m.

Definitely interested in watching the MGB build. The Benz is cool too. The Monza-style exhaust really does look out of place.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
12/12/11 1:17 p.m.
bobpink wrote: The Benz looks like the Bat car. How long before Per talks you out of it?

I think shortly after the new year. Anybody wanna make bets?

I like the Benz a lot, and I think Tommy is going to have a ton of fun with the MGB. Happy Holidays indeed!

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
12/12/11 2:25 p.m.

Per has second dibs, I already called first dibs. :)

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
12/12/11 3:23 p.m.

Wow, how'd that happen, you're not even here!

bobpink
bobpink New Reader
12/12/11 9:14 p.m.

Hey Per...shhh...

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/2739636435.html

Gary
Gary Reader
12/13/11 7:10 a.m.

I dunno ... the fintail models look cool but I just can't warm up to the column shifter. It just doesn't seem right.

Per Schroeder
12/13/11 8:23 a.m.

Tim's is a four-speed on the floor.

Per

Gary
Gary Reader
12/13/11 12:06 p.m.

Must be the same one that was featured on BAT a short time ago.

Per Schroeder
12/13/11 2:35 p.m.

yep.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
12/13/11 5:14 p.m.

Yeah, that car in Atlanta is column shift, lower level trim, no A/C and 4 cylinder. Ours is the one to have, assuming you want one... wood trim, dual stacked headlights (for double the awesomeness) 2.3 liter twin carb 120 hp six cylinder engine from the 230 SL and four on the floor. This is the engine Datsun copied when they built the 240Z.

Out of reverence, we have entered it in a rallycross event on Jan. 14th. Better get the brakes fixed.

It was the car on Bring A Trailer. Asking price was $2000. We picked it up for $1600 and it runs pretty well and has very little rust.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
12/13/11 5:16 p.m.

As for the MGB... it came with actual live rats. We saw two scamper away when we moved the car. Rat poop does not smell well. It is pretty solid but was dropped off three years ago for carb work at a buddy's shop, and the guy disappeared.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
12/13/11 5:27 p.m.

Vintage racer eh.

Budget you say.

Go for it.

Gary
Gary Reader
12/14/11 7:02 a.m.

Tim, which vintage rallies are in your plans in 2012 for the Benz?

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
12/14/11 12:32 p.m.

We are starting with the world renown, local SCCA rallycross in the parking lot of Orlando Speedworld on January 14th and then probably the Mille Miglia (okay kidding about that one). Actually, at this point, I have committed to get it up and running, run that rallycross, and then will most likely park it here in the showroom until Per just busts a nut, and offers me $10,000 for it.

I would like to hear from readers to see if they want it to become a formal vintage rally project car, or should we stick with sports cars. We like it, but we know we are a little weird.

Gary
Gary Reader
12/14/11 4:24 p.m.

I like the concept of vintage rallies so I'm in favor of seeing the Benz turned into a vintage rally car. But maybe the restrictions on sedans in some events would limit the choices. I think Rich Taylor's events are limited to sports cars. On the other hand you do have the 6-cylinder SL engine and the floor shifter, so that's almost a sports car.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
12/14/11 7:25 p.m.

I am quite interested in the budget vintage racer build. Right up my alley with what I hope to do in the future.

One subject of particular interest would be comparing the various vintage racing groups and their rules requirements and how to build a car to cover as many bases as possible while staying somewhat competitive.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
12/15/11 6:35 a.m.

Ian, that's a good story idea.

Gary, We know Rich Taylor well and already told him about the Benz. He loved the idea and said it would be welcome.

The Colorado Grand might be another story. Someone told me that they were starting to turn away 300SLs, as they are too common.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
12/15/11 6:37 a.m.

Oh, and I took an extended test drive in the Benz, cleaned up the MGB, took a bunch of pics and wrote and sent some stuff to Tom, so look for a project car page on both cars in the next week or two. A friend told me of a fintail in a junk yard just north of me, so Tommy and I will check it out this afternoon.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
12/15/11 1:04 p.m.

'66 is technically too modern for the Colorado Grand - their "cutoff" is '61, but I've seen cars into the mid-sixties sometimes. Since Merc sponsor the event, you could maybe sneak in as one of the vehicles that run ahead of the main group, I know that the organizers run some more modern iron, like Eddie O'Brien's 427 Cobra.

Still saw lots of 300SLs this year.

Gary
Gary Reader
12/21/11 12:27 p.m.

Tim, how about something like this for vintage rallies:

Gary
Gary Reader
12/21/11 12:28 p.m.

another ...

cyncrvr
cyncrvr New Reader
12/21/11 8:29 p.m.

Both good choices. Looking forward to the progress.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t3qBClOeXNxDI2kt1FGgGrgz3wxvot4CMP3aYmEPZgFDHcUfZWErE9ZHwb8yVoZv