The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
12/13/17 3:44 p.m.

Story and photos by John Webber

Why would a longtime collector and accomplished vintage racer with a shop full of rare and wonderful Porsches build a quirky British outlier into a weapons-grade screamer?

Because he had a vision, that’s why.

As Jerry Peters tells it, a humble, early Lotus Cortina GT…

Read the rest of the story

gjz30075
gjz30075 HalfDork
12/13/17 6:44 p.m.

I saw this car at the Mitty, and later at our British Car show in Norcross, GA and it's a killer!    Fantastic workmanship.

TreDeuce
TreDeuce New Reader
6/13/20 3:59 a.m.

Had one of these for years as part of my collection and never once thought about putting in a V8, which is kind of surprising for me. My history includes a lot of American V8 to Foreign chassis builds, the first a Ford 260" Sprint engine into a 58' Volvo 544.  the second another 260" Sprint engine into a Bug Eye Sprite. Then a 58' Vette 283" into an A100. more Healey's and other hybrids followed in the 60's and 70's. and then there were 240Z's and Gen-2 RX-7's and Miata's.   Most built for friends.

Today my current project is an LS-400 V8 into a 91' e30/325is. Not the typical American V8 combo, but a sweet and realistic combo for the chassis.  On that subject, does anyone have info on converting to a 5-lug wheel pattern for the E30's.  I may be converting the rear to an E36 rear component assembly with 5-lugs, but I might just keep the stock assembly and drive with restraint so will need 5-lugs on both ends.

The Cortina is one nice and clean build. Sleepers are a lot of 'surprising' fun.

mcloud
mcloud New Reader
4/11/21 7:50 p.m.

This Cortina begs for a two-tone paint treatment!  Perhaps a contrasting color in the cove spear, and center part of the wheel.

Cortonda
Cortonda
11/3/21 12:21 p.m.

The base car was either a Lotus Cortina or a GT, not a Lotus Cortina GT as they never existed and judging by the chrome trim on the sides, probably a GT.

Okay, re-read the post, it is identified as a GT later in the article so it just needs a little editing..mine was not quite as cleanly done as this but it still went quite well once I installed an S2000 drivetrain in it.wink

No idea how fast it was as I always ran out of road (and bravery).

Our Preferred Partners
spc2guqqd32iCXBJYBEabC9yYNBgdgqdayNEEd6pFTLUjiYtNPltf5BGbTqwzQ4f