The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
9/15/21 8:18 a.m.

Sponsored Content Presented by Snake River Classics.

The problem with perfectly restored classic cars? They tend to just sit in the garage, says John Batterton, founder of Snake River Classics.

That’s why he’s on a mission to create restored, modernized classics that beg to be driven…

Read the rest of the story

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
9/15/21 10:52 a.m.

Cost is less than the Miata engined Frontline conversion in the UK and this is a better engine.  I've been advocating that engine for years as an MG engine swap - wonder why it took so long?

Jpsbgt
Jpsbgt New Reader
9/15/21 11:59 a.m.

As a very long term MGB guy this is one hell of a upgrade. Problem is most MGB fans just don't have that kind of cash to spend. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/15/21 3:53 p.m.

In reply to wspohn :

The LTG engine is way cool. It's quick in a Camaro. Has to feel awesome in an MGB. 

jcme0557
jcme0557 New Reader
9/16/21 8:04 a.m.

I love the idea. However, the price is way out of my league.

I don't doubt that a potential customer is getting $100K+ worth of work and parts...its just that, well you could buy 5 really nice 1973 MGB's for that, and we're not even considering the cost of the donor car either. There are an awful lot of really nice, fast cars out there for $110,000...and you wouldn't have to wait 5 months to get them either.

The thing about the B is that its just about the only classic sports car that is still affordable for the average Joe or Joan to own and enjoy. Most folks I know wouldn't have anywhere near the scratch to even consider this sort of project...and, if they did, most sure wouldn't be dropping it on a B. No, they'd be looking up market at Healey's and Porsches and E-Types.

My other thought is...do you really need 275 hp in an MGB to have fun? Yes, I know we are living in a world where anything less than 200 is considered hopelessly underpowered. And yet, I remember having a TON of fun driving the wheels off old B's and other "hopelessly underpowered" little roadsters (MX-5 Miata?) Actually, a Miata 1.8 powered B would be darn near perfect.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
9/16/21 8:42 a.m.

If you drive a Sunbeam Tiger, you might not ask if an MGB needs more power. This sure is a cleanly done, albeit upscale project. 

One way to look at this is can I get just one good idea from this story for my project. I for one, am digging the cool way they integrated the cold air intake.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
9/16/21 10:13 a.m.

I found the suspension and the torque beam interesting. 

You can get 400-450 bhp with those engines without changing the internals (I am conservative with 375 bhp in my Solstice)  and that will out do any Tiger (they weight 100 lbs or so more than the LTG powered MGB and have very little power by today's standards (back in the day their ticked off the Healey owners, but the 200 bhp gross (let's just assume that every Tiger owner has already installed a 289 or 302 in his car rather than the 260 most came with) isn't going to do it today and the brakes you can fit in those dinky 13" wheels were pathetic even back in the day.

If I were to shell out $100K for a car, it wouldn't be an MGB either, but I can't help thinking that an MGB GT done this way would be a very entertaining sleeper than you could drive calmly all day and get great mileage with - my Solstice, tuned as it is, usually gets c. 30 mpg highway.

johnbatterton
johnbatterton
7/29/22 5:44 p.m.

This car participated in the 2022 Sun Valley Tour de Force Unlimited Speed run.

The only modification to the car was a swap out of the front spoiler.

162.1 mph verified by radar.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
7/30/22 11:57 a.m.
Tim Suddard said:

One way to look at this is can I get just one good idea from this story for my project. I for one, am digging the cool way they integrated the cold air intake.

Yes - looks like it was meant to be there. As long as you get it out of the air flow through the radiator you can call it a cold air intake.  I laid out the Jamaican intake pretty much the same way but ran the pickup forward past the radiator so you don't see the filter.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VNpZkIChvv5jzUwtrP7tMsND7ugAFjE5jSQc0elQ5PuuecellK1Snk4zcBeMw29M