The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
11/10/20 9:01 a.m.

We recently restored a 1275cc-powered 1967 Mini Cooper S, one that was originally equipped with Hydrolastic suspension. What a fantastic design.

Designed by Alex Moulton, this unique suspension system uses hydraulic displacer units filled with water and what is effectively antifreeze. Lines r…

Read the rest of the story

efahl
efahl New Reader
11/10/20 2:39 p.m.

My first car was a Hydrolastic Mini Cooper S 1275 (1293 really, full race SCCA C Sedan car).  I kept a gallon of suspension fluid around and raised or lowered the car on a whim by pumping in or out enough fluid to suit my fancy for the day.

Brian_13
Brian_13 New Reader
11/10/20 5:38 p.m.

The Skill-Lync video is truly terrible, not showing the displacer unit function at all. It includes a cross-section (starting at 1:20), and adds labels, then never shows it working; the description in the audio is even mismatched to the illustration, misidentifying the spring. At one point the later silly graphics even show fluid flowing into front and rear units at the same time, which is not possible because they are simply connected and have no other source of fluid.

To be fair, although there are some good descriptions avaialble online, I wasn't able to find a decent illustration at all.

shadetree30
shadetree30 HalfDork
8/26/22 11:36 a.m.

Don't forget the MG Liquid Suspension Specials, driven at Indianapolis by Walt Hansgen and Bob Vieth in 1964 and '65.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
8/27/22 1:06 p.m.

this unique suspension system uses hydraulic displacer units filled with water and what is effectively antifreeze. 

We heard from the factory rep back in those days (I was selling car parts to pay for university at the time) that the antifreeze was a mix of water and methanol, plus some additives, which lowered freezing point and also rendered it poisonous. He said that there were a couple of incidents with BMC India where people tried drinking it, either not realizing that it was the wrong alcohol, or didn't know the difference.

I had understood that there was also a small addition of something to prevent exactly that - it tasted bad, but I guess the people that tried it consumed enough to make them sick.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b9HoQS3HFldSt8we4WxV3gGAdSm0ylISkRMDWAaTLkSN5vfVxijPhYuAb8c0dRkl