John Webber
John Webber
10/29/20 9:33 a.m.

[Editor's Note: This article originally ran in the January 2013 issue of Classic Motorsports.]

Bob Russell agrees that getting his stolen Healey back after 42 years was a dream come true, but he never expected the media explosion that followed. When the story really got cranked up, the calls g…

Read the rest of the story

noddaz
noddaz UltraDork
10/29/20 4:20 p.m.

Nice story!  A follow up should be done.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
11/1/20 12:44 p.m.

This is always a concern when you buy an older car , 

The California dealer got a title when he bought it , 

How was he able  to verify if it was stolen or not  ?

ralphtyrone
ralphtyrone
11/23/20 5:14 p.m.

the dealership should have checked that the vin plate was intact and had matching numbers to the title.

If he did he would have not taken possession of this car, unless he really didnt care and was just going to pass it off to someone else. 

Bardan
Bardan New Reader
3/30/21 3:44 p.m.

Bob needs to get a VIN plate riveted on and etch the Vin # in many obscure places under the chassis.

stephencoe
stephencoe
3/31/21 10:23 a.m.

I found my old 56 MGA COUPE on barn finds about 3 years ago, when I explained to the flipper guy he got pissed. I then call the NC dmv & told them about the car. The guy ended up disassembled the car and sold the parts. Beware is the watchword.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
3/31/21 8:18 p.m.
stephencoe said:

I found my old 56 MGA COUPE on barn finds about 3 years ago, when I explained to the flipper guy he got pissed. I then call the NC dmv & told them about the car. The guy ended up disassembled the car and sold the parts. Beware is the watchword.

You should have not showed your hand,  

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/1/21 8:26 a.m.

In reply to spitfirebill :

Good advice!

skierman64
skierman64
4/16/22 12:31 p.m.

The dealer posted the VIN on ebay, they obviously knew the VIN plate was missing. They took a chance and it didn't play out in their favor. 

They knew what they had. 

What a great story though. 

carzan
carzan Dork
4/17/22 6:45 p.m.

Remember when a freshly restored '65 VW Bus was discovered to have been stolen and the insurance company ended up getting it in 2009?  (Google stolen restored vw bus)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WKU5KHllehn44i1rNxKQozd7l68oFQlU8UspSMzamiZwHtKiF7FsT8X3wf3duj7k