JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/13/12 10:41 a.m.

When performing any act, there’s a certain point where you become committed to it—a point of no return, if you will. Once past that point, you’ve set in motion a chain of events that will continue to their fruition pretty much regardless of any further input on your part. No amount of body English …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/6/20 12:12 p.m.

Love this. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Reader Services
1/6/20 1:11 p.m.

A lot of people have probably already heard the story, but it's been said that former President Lyndon Johnson would terrify guests in his Amphicar--who didn't know the Amphicar could float--by driving towards the water at speed and shouting that the brakes have failed.

daffodildeb
daffodildeb New Reader
1/8/20 3:11 p.m.

I remember one day when I was a kid going canoeing with my father.  We watched with amazement when a car drove down the ramp, and continued into the water.  We'd never heard of Amphicars back then, and fully expected it to sink!  That was over 50 years ago, and they still are unique in the car world.

428SCJ
428SCJ None
1/8/20 5:16 p.m.

Late 1970's. Family vacation to St. Louis, Missouri. I'm 12 or 13 years old and we're on the banks of the Mississippi just below the Gateway Arch. Suddenly, someone notices there's A CAR IN THE RIVER! After a moment's confusion (Has it somehow fallen into the water upsteam? Is it about to sink?) We realize its under control and being driven like a boat. As if this wasn't fascinating enough, a couple dozen yards downstream of us it turns toward shore, pulls out of the water, and goes bouncing up the cobblestone embankment. If it had sprouted wings and flown away at that point, I would hardly have been more surprised or any more impressed. It was, simply put, one of the most amazing and unexpected things I'd ever seen in my young life.  I didn't know then just what I'd seen, but a little red car with twin propellers made an indellible impression on me that day. 

David S. Wallens
1/13/20 12:03 p.m.

We went to Disney Springs on Saturday where, yes, for a fee, people can go for Amphicar Rides.

Bardan
Bardan New Reader
6/26/21 7:45 p.m.

It's not a very good car. It's not a very good boat. Why do they bring so much money?

RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
6/29/21 8:46 a.m.

My favorit tale is the one about the guy who bought one to avoid the ever increasing Mississippi river bridge tolls.
He drove it right alongside the bridge daily.

I remember seeing a row of these sitting on a dealer lot in Red-Bluff CA when I was about ten years old.

BTW, no longer the only dual purpose car as Jet Drives have made this easier to do.
There are videos of modern versions that do both road and water quiet well.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/29/21 11:20 a.m.
Bardan said:

It's not a very good car. It's not a very good boat. Why do they bring so much money?

Because they were not a very good boat or a very good car and thus did not sell many.  Not a lot out there = rare.  Rare = (generally) more valuable.  Since classic cars have no real requirement to be practical, that issue is mute.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
6/30/21 12:24 p.m.
aircooled said:
Bardan said:

Because they were not a very good boat or a very good car and thus did not sell many.  Not a lot out there = rare.  Rare = (generally) more valuable.  Since classic cars have no real requirement to be practical, that issue is mute.

I believe that you meant 'moot' there.

And I agree about rarity sometimes but not always (e.g. Trabant) making a car more valuable.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
7/1/21 9:39 a.m.

I drove one and thought it was a lot of fun, although I do have to agree... lousy boat, lousy car

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
7/2/21 2:04 p.m.

Saw one for the first time on Lake Candlewood in CT about 55 years ago.  Watched it go down the ramp into the water and lost my E36 M3.

corolla2tcte27
corolla2tcte27 New Reader
7/12/21 5:52 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

My wife suprised me on my 60th birthday at Disney Springs with a float in one. Really cool.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/12/21 8:00 a.m.

Really cool. I have always wondered if a  modern one was made if it would sell. Probably more of a ATV based thing but still would be interesting.  

I also remember seeing one as a kid. It was like seeing you first space ship or something

Gary
Gary UltraDork
7/12/21 10:12 a.m.

Annie's sister and her husband bought one last year and use it at their vacation lake home in WI. Here they are:

RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
7/12/21 5:32 p.m.
MGWrench
MGWrench New Reader
4/22/22 3:32 p.m.

I grew up in Florissant, MO about 2 miles from Missouri Bottom Road.  About every other Spring, the road would flood due to rising waters in the Missouri River.  As kids, we would ride down the hill on our bikes as fast as we could go and see how far into the flood waters we could get.  I'll never forget the first time I saw an Amphicar, the owner did the same thing.   He must have been going 50 MPH when he hit the water.  It was a wild sight, as soon as the plumes of water settled down he engaged the props and kept driving/boating down MO Bottom Road as happy as if he had good sense.

Don2001l
Don2001l New Reader
7/8/22 6:10 p.m.
Bardan said:

It's something for the Man/Woman who has everything !

Practical joker, President ?

Clarkspeed
Clarkspeed New Reader
7/8/22 10:56 p.m.

Just sold for $99k today at Mecum Orlando. Prices are back up.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FA0722-527520/1964-amphicar-770/

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
7/11/22 11:20 a.m.

If sea levels rise, this car might get a second look, right?

lasttr
lasttr Reader
7/11/22 4:00 p.m.

The 1967 Anchorage phone book listed Suburban Marine on the Seward Highway as the Alaska dealer for Amphicar and Triumph. It made a certain amount of sense since the Amphicar used a Triumph engine. By the following year, the company was called "Fun Products Distributors" and had dropped Amphicar from their lineup. I can't imagine why Amphicar wasn't a big seller here! A couple of years later the Saab dealership picked up the Triumph line.

lasttr
lasttr Reader
7/11/22 4:06 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Gonna have to do this some time!

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
9/14/23 12:21 p.m.

Now I've got They Might Be Giants' "Boat of Car" stuck in my head.

Not their top toe-tapper, but topical.

nagman
nagman New Reader
9/14/23 12:35 p.m.

A friend of mine had one.  We used to love launching in a marina and cruise around asking the boat owners and guests if they happened to notice any roads around them!  Always got a laugh and thumbs up.  Even used the turn signals when turning.  One time we spied a beach in the distance, and floated over to it.  Turns out there was a restaurant on that beach, so we drove up and got a table on the deck.  The waitress told us "Well, you guys are the talk of the restaurant!"  Great fun!

David S. Wallens
9/14/23 1:46 p.m.
Jesse Ransom said:

Now I've got They Might Be Giants' "Boat of Car" stuck in my head.

Not their top toe-tapper, but topical.

Love me some TMBG. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zPKrWW3umZFwHJViNPZrNq6jS1SSSbcOmPKJilCGkoe0QM2Bv0uBgeYe3EJt4IiL