Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/29/14 1:08 p.m.

Old-car buffs and train buffs have a lot in common, since both hobbies include classic machinery in motion. Did you know there’s a way to combine them? It’s called the Auto Train, and it runs every day between Sanford, Florida, and Lorton, Virginia—basically between Orlando and Washington, D.C.

Fou…

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/3/20 11:09 a.m.

Weekend bump. smiley

jdw
jdw New Reader
1/4/20 2:32 p.m.

Thumbs up for the auto train.   Used it to bring a Challenge car to Florida in 2003, IIRC.   Red 84 Volvo 242.  

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
1/4/20 9:26 p.m.

There used to be a train from St. Louis to the LA area that you could bring your car. Don't think they have it anymore.

Titan4
Titan4 New Reader
1/5/20 2:14 p.m.

We did this to Orlando when my daughter was little.  We had a slightly larger family room at the end of the railcar.  There was some room on the floor for my daughter to play and then bunks for us at night.  Then we had our car to go around Orlando / Disney.  

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
1/5/20 4:33 p.m.

I loved our trip on it, have been wracking my brain for an excuse to do it again. There is something about train travel that makes you feel like a much cooler person than you actually are.

Dcmdpilot
Dcmdpilot New Reader
1/6/20 3:20 p.m.

It is unfortunate but a year ago some of the Tigers East alpine East club had been denied boarding on the auto train because sundenly the cars in the advertisement are too low???

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/6/20 3:50 p.m.

In reply to Dcmdpilot :

That is a bummer. I'm looking at their specs, and looks like they require at least 4 inches of ground clearance. 

I'd love to do an Auto Train trip. I should measure my car. 

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
1/10/20 7:34 p.m.

You only have access to your car between Lorton and Sanford, correct?  In other words, you can't get your car off in between?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
utahtfDvjIjZFT29Tt35D0Ya2pVacbKHd82byrcRC7uk5YJCx2e0tfH1oScIVevq